Stealing to order?

rincewind

Just a heads up for anyone in the Bradford area - my DBP R32 was stolen last night from Cleckheaton - police said another R32 was stolen the same night, also from near Bradford. They used some kind of arm device through the cat flap to get the keys from the kitchen counter.

Beware, hope it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Rince frown.gif

Sorry to hear about the theft mate - but it could have been worse.....I think mine was the most 'exciting' TSN R32 theft to date.

Armed gang in balaclavas smashing the front door down at 2am on a monday morning, then proceeding upstairs to smash the bedroom door frame off the wall while I jammed it shut with bare feet and by holding the door handle up.

Despite CCTV and prints etc, the Dibble never caught them and the car has not been seen since. frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Just a heads up for anyone in the Bradford area - my DBP R32 was stolen last night from Cleckheaton - police said another R32 was stolen the same night, also from near Bradford. They used some kind of arm device through the cat flap to get the keys from the kitchen counter.

Rince frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Number plate mate?

I'll keep em peeled 169144-ok.gif

Number plate was KJ56 KMJ, but police reckon that would have gone within the hour frown.gif Gonna get a nice fast bike to transfer it to, methinks smile.gif

Soulboy definitely wins the brown pants car theft award - I just think of it as a (rather expensive) chance to get rid of all those alloy scratches and paint chips...

[ QUOTE ]

Rince frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Gutted to hear that, Rince. I hope you get every penny back from your insurers for your loss, although that hardly makes up for the theft of your .:R 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

It's bizaare really, I mean it's not as if the R32 is an RS4 or a new M3 confused.gif In desirability terms it 'old hat'. Why are they still after them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for bank jobs (esp in 5dr form), easy to change the appearance and thus disguise as a runabout. Wouldn't take too much effort to make a R32 just another Golf.

Also, even though they're half the price of RS4/M3, there will be at least as many about (probably more than RS4, dunno about M3) and they will still represent a healthy profit margin. Remember, armed robberies are now down in the couple of grand (and sometimes even less) territory so a couple of grand + made at each stage from stealer to fixer to ultimate seller (latter two might make £5k each or more - dunno, I'm guessing) is a decent earner, often with relatively few risks once you get the car off the streets.

Sorry to hear the bad news. I'm oh so cautious with my car at the mo, registered to another address, always left out of sight and when i drive back home, i go round the block if anyone's behind me. All this from the paranoia of having my S3 towed away from a locked garage by a gang in a sodding big tow truck. It hurts, but at least it didn't involve physical violence or trauma as in soulboys' case.

FIREdevil.gifFIREdevil.gifFIREdevil.giffekr.giffekr.gifFIREdevil.gifFIREdevil.gif

Thanks for all the support. I'm pretty sure the insurers won't give me full as-new replacement value, I'm just wondering if my gap insurance is still valid - I originally bought it on lease in September '06 with gap, but then August(ish) '07 I came into some money and paid off the lease rather than putting it in savings. Need to find the paperwork...

[ QUOTE ]

Well my only assumption is that they are broken up for spares to feed the wannabee GTi and GT-Sport owners confused.gif Because what market is there for them abroad? RHD markets are few and far between.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plod told me there was a fair bit of trade into southern Ireland and ringing over there.

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry to here it, mine was taken about 11 months ago from the North east and was sold in Bradfud for 2.5k the same day, plod collared the little lads but said they were the runners for a much larger organised gang in West Yorks.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I'm presuming the twats who bought it, met this guy in a pub, saying extra extra, hot stolen R for £2.5k on the same day?

Really makes me wonder, what kind of idiotic mac (a word I dont use often) pays 2.5k for a 25k car and doesn't expect to be found out, maybe I'm just naive. Is that actually possible to do in the UK these days, drive around in a stolen car with doctored plates?? smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for all the support. I'm pretty sure the insurers won't give me full as-new replacement value, I'm just wondering if my gap insurance is still valid - I originally bought it on lease in September '06 with gap, but then August(ish) '07 I came into some money and paid off the lease rather than putting it in savings. Need to find the paperwork...

[/ QUOTE ]

I was insured with Tesco and got a really good payout (£1,800 more than I was thinking of selling it for) without even knowing they had valued it.

I had the cheque within 3 weeks of it going!

We ended up moving house after the incident. Could never sleep properly in that house after that. Especially hated Sunday nights.

Moved to sleepy hollow now SLEEP5.GIF

• 4 months later...

Just to say these cars are not sold to some idiot down the pub for 2 thousand pounds. What they do is steal the car, go to the local scrap yard buy another R32 that has been written off, they then give the stolen R32 that identity. Its called cloning. All to easy to be honest. Then some poor sod ends up buying a stolen car!!

Paranoia has just gone through the roof, I live in Bradford and I'm picking my R up on wednesday!

You might get a letter from the police.

I sold my R earlier this year, but before I did I got some booklets and a letter saying they were contacting all R32 owners in West Yorks advising them to beef up their home security to prevent break-ins by people looking for the keys as the R32 is the 'most wanted' on the car thief's list at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was insured with Tesco and got a really good payout (£1,800 more than I was thinking of selling it for) without even knowing they had valued it.

I had the cheque within 3 weeks of it going!

We ended up moving house after the incident. Could never sleep properly in that house after that. Especially hated Sunday nights.

Moved to sleepy hollow now SLEEP5.GIF

Sunday nights seem to be popular with car thieves. Why?

To be honest, now that I have sold my R32, I do sleep better at night.

You might get a letter from the police.

I sold my R earlier this year, but before I did I got some booklets and a letter saying they were contacting all R32 owners in West Yorks advising them to beef up their home security to prevent break-ins by people looking for the keys as the R32 is the 'most wanted' on the car thief's list at the moment.

At least they are showing an interest in stopping the scumbags then. They would have a job on at my house anyway, double glazed door (a doddle to break into I know) then the alarm would be going off while they were trying to beat the 2" solid oak door with 2 deadlocks. All this and only the one way into the house, one advantage to living in a back to back!

Sunday nights seem to be popular with car thieves. Why?

To be honest, now that I have sold my R32, I do sleep better at night.

If you think about it its logical. As mentioned previously, they know most people will be in bed ready for work the next day. So the car will be home and the keys in the house.

BUT

There are also very few Police out and about. They usually go for between 2am and 4am on Sunday night/ Monday morning. If they did it on a Friday or Saturday night there would be plenty of Police (and other people) out and about.

Our incident happened at 2.30am on a Monday morning and my sister got done 7 weeks to the hour. Both in south Manchester/Cheshire area.

The new house has got a garage and Sunday night is the one night of the week the car goes in.

Strangely enough, its nearly a year since it happened and the flashbacks have s uddenly started back. So much so that my sleep pattern is fecked and I have started to see a counsellor to try and get things sorted.

Even now during daytime hours, if I hear any loud bang (door slamming or whatever) I get a huge adrenalin rush and my heart beat goes through the roof. Not great.