Jaguar and Land Rover bought by Tata...

bazza_g

grin.gif its happened - here - not sure what to make of it all really...

[ QUOTE ]

Car giant Ford is to sell its luxury UK-based car marques Jaguar and Land Rover to Indian company Tata.

Tata, India's biggest vehicle maker, is likely to pay about $2bn (£1bn) in the deal, although analysts will be keen to see the exact price and terms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did anyone see 5th gear on Monday? Where that Johnnie bloke went up to the Tata stand at the Geneva motor show? He was pushing the bodywork in of the Nano with his thumb and a bloke tried kicking him off the stand. Johnnies words were "take the A off the end of Tata and what do you have?" 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Did anyone see 5th gear on Monday? Where that Johnnie bloke went up to the Tata stand at the Geneva motor show? He was pushing the bodywork in of the Nano with his thumb and a bloke tried kicking him off the stand. Johnnies words were "take the A off the end of Tata and what do you have?" 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say, it looks like the build quality on the Jags and Landy's will improve then grin.gif

Tata ( I think) are in the World top 10 corp size wise.

I worked along side there India networks and communications teams, who make the European suppliers look poor.

They are quoted as saying that they intend to change little with regard to design and engineering and will concentrate of lifting the Landy and Jag brand images.

Tata already own Corus (steel) - they paid a shed load of money for Jag and LR, but less than Ford paid for them when they bought them.

Apparently Ford of Europe make big profits last year - it's the massive losses Ford are making in the US that have forced them to sell. Apparently they've just plain run out of money.

TBH, Jags could fall of the face of the earth and I geniunely wouldn't care. They out-dated, ugly and have no appeal to me. Land Rover Defenders are great, but Range Rovers are only any good as donor vehicles for Bowlers...

At least Tata have a shed load of money to carry on developing new cars.

It's not a cheap business trying to keep up with Merc/BM/Audi who have a much better spread of products and cashflow.

As Chri5 has said, some money will be kept in the business with the steel and steel pressings supplied by the parent company.

Good luck, and it will be a few years before we see any Tata Jag/Tata Land Rover designed products.

Look at it another way, they cannot produce a worse product than the current X-Type and previous S-Type - can they????

[ QUOTE ]

How about a Jag Nano...

[/ QUOTE ]

No!!!! Flush.gif

Wonder if the customer base will change as well? Maybe Indian bods will buy Jag rather than Nissans???

You hardly ever see an Asain chap in a Jag or Land Rover. Merc? yes, Nissan/Toyota yes, but not Jag.

Might be quids in if they get that market?

[ QUOTE ]

You hardly ever see an Asain chap in a Jag

[/ QUOTE ]

That's got feck all to do with anyone's ethnicity - it's because Jags:

- have a crap image

- you have to be over 55 to own or drive one

- they break down

- people laugh at you

- you have to start smoking a pipe

- you need a pork pie hat to stick on the rear parcel shelf

- you have to wear slip-on shoes

And the list goes on...

[ QUOTE ]

Mook, you have no style chap, do you really buy a car just because of its image ?

I don't care that you'd look like Arthur Daley, I really fancy an old XJR, and having seen a few of these about recently, I think the pictures don't do it justice, they look great - jaguar-xk.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed 169144-ok.gif new XK looks awesome and the XJ is a really nice different looking car in comparison to its rivals

[ QUOTE ]

it's because Jags:

- have a crap image

- you have to be over 55 to own or drive one

- they break down

- people laugh at you

- you have to start smoking a pipe

- you need a pork pie hat to stick on the rear parcel shelf

- you have to wear slip-on shoes

And the list goes on...

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif so on that basis you wouldn't give this a crack? tongue.gif

1315505-BritcarSilverstoneMarch08060%28Medium%29.jpg

1315505-BritcarSilverstoneMarch08062%28Medium%29.jpg

post-3095-137914413862_thumb.jpg

CupraBob, they'll still make them here, and the UK us making more cars than ever when you consider the stream of stuff made by Toyota, Nissan and Honda. LR and Jag were US owned (under Ford) now Indian owned (under Tata), nothing changes.

I'd rather see them under foreign owership and thriving than under UK ownership and sinking...

[ QUOTE ]

grin.gif so on that basis you wouldn't give this a crack? tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd happily try that, Bazza, but that doesn't mean I'd touch a Jaguar road car. And the new XK looks nice, but I'd be suspicious as to its ride.

And how am I meant to test one? Whenever I walk into a Jag showroom, they all take one look at me and think "too young ... ignore him ... won't buy one"

[ QUOTE ]

CupraBob, they'll still make them here, and the UK us making more cars than ever when you consider the stream of stuff made by Toyota, Nissan and Honda. LR and Jag were US owned (under Ford) now Indian owned (under Tata), nothing changes.

I'd rather see them under foreign owership and thriving than under UK ownership and sinking...

[/ QUOTE ]

Your right of course, it just upsets me why we always nee foreign money to succeed.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

- they break down

[/ QUOTE ]

Jags over the last 10 years have been much improved in those terms, regularly in the top 10 in things like the JD Power survey. Unlike some other supposedly premium brands.

I agree they have a crap image, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

They tried to change the image with the X-Type and estate and broaden appeal with the S-Type (helped by Morse), but it backfired.

The X is an ugly spud, watered the Marque down in the quest for market share. None of the reps (400, not including HO staff!) that I work with have bought another. Many tried them on a 2 or 3 yr lease and non have returned to the brand. Bear in mind that these will be the typical company car driver and that's a big %age share to have lost and chuffing hard work to claw back.

The S-Type? Well, 3 (out of 40+) management bods went for them. One had the S-Type R and it kept breaking - he was 40 and wanted to buy 'British'. He also had the wheels nicked, but hey! He now drives an A8 TDi. Another was older and American so did not know any better grin.gif, and the last bod has just retired - so 55+! The shape and harking back to Morse's Jag did the image and marque no favours.

The fact that they now call the replacement the XF says it all.

Merc, Audi and BM all keep the same names because they are successful.

The XJ seems to sell OK for a big luxo cruiser, see quite a few about - more than the bulbous 7 series, but less than the A8 & S-Class (obviously)

Anyway, the future should be good for them now, if they get the design, reliability, image and marketing correct. Good luck to them, can't get worse.