I Need a Van - Annual Road Trip

Durrsaku

Ok, it is coming to that time of the year again. End of May i am taking a long trip across Europe and this year i will be driving a van. So i am looking at buying one. Ok not the exciting performance car thread but just as important to me for the mission that is going to accomplish.

So it needs to be a reliable van that it will cover almost 4000 miles, it will need to be diesel, fast, comfortable, with some reasonable loading space.

So far i have been looking at Mercedes Vito or a Vw Transporter.

What are your experiences with them or would there be an alternative as i am open to suggestions.

169144-ok.gif

Have you thought Vauxhall Vivaro? Or the Renault one. They're exactly the same with different badges. Come with loads of standard kit, is comfy, quick enough and will do 30-33 mpg if driven at a reasonable rate. About the same size as a vito, various tailgates and one side opening. Pretty generous load space. I've owned 3 models and the lastest I cant really fault. Looked at Vitos once but seemed alot more expensive when compared like to like with spec. Not sure about VWs. 169144-ok.gif

Volkswagen Transporter would be my choice have worked for VW and Mercedes commercials in the past and because of that have had the oppurtunity to drive most of the vans on the market. Are you looking to carry big weight or is it more the space you need. There is quite a few for sale locally with me, what are you looking to spend and are you VAT registered. If it was my money i would be buying A VW T5 T28/30 SWB/LWB but defo with the bigger 2.5TDI 174psi which has stunning performance for a van and still returns around 500miles to a tank of diesel.

Hope this helps any questions please ask.

Have about 4 to 5k to spend. I think the T5 will be outside my budget. Went to our local van centre and the sales person talked about the Vivaro/Trafic/Primastar alternative and i had a look at the Renault Trafic. He had a few parked outside.

The only problem is that the one we need it would have to be a dualiner or crew van and he didn't have one. Are they easy to convert?

It will mainly carry luggage and a few hand tools. At the same time it will have to carry 4 people comfortably as it is a long journey hence i was looking at the above choices, as they look more car-like to drive.

Is the 2.5 tdi better than the 1.9 on the Transporter? What is your experience?

Might be better getting hold of a VW Caravelle and taking the non required seats out. Means you'll be able to insure it as a minibus and avoid the confusion of insuring a van (commercial insurance see). Also you'll get feck all transporter for £5 grand, and if you do it'll no doubt have been knocked to buggery with builders crap etc in the back.

Edit: Or you might like one of these?