New BMW 123d M Sport Coupe

simon737

Last week I finally got my hands on my new 123d M Sport Coupe, thanks go again to Gareth @ Bespoke for sourcing the car and sorting out the finance.

Car itself is Alpine White, options include Leather, Bluetooth and Heated seats along with the twin spoke 18" alloys. I think it looks stunning in white and it definately is a colour that is on the comeback...I'll post pics as soon as I clean it..again.

My previous car history includes Clio 182, Civic Type R, Honda S2000 and my recently departed Z4M, why did i get rid, well a number of reasons, mileage and issues with the car keep needing to be returned to BMW (see post on BMW chat). To be quite honest I wasn't sad to see it go.

Anyway, the 123d so far I'm very impressed, 204bhp with 400Nm of torque available from 2000rpm so nice figures, it'll manage 0 - 60 in 7 secs and the 50 - 70 time at 5.5 secs only 0.5 secs slower than the Z4M and still return between 45 - 50mpg all day long! The first tank full returned just over 450 miles from a 51 ltr tank.

I wasn't sure if was going to like the significant decrease in power but to be quite honest the roads i use and drive are to busy for the full exploits of the M's power, the 123d is a much nicer place to be, seems very quiet and the smoothness of power delivery from the torquey engine seems effortless, it'll easily push on to 100 without any issues, handling is also nice, greasy roads will let the back slip out slighlty if your a bit too eager, and the ride itself is very comfortable again much more so than the Z4's which was really stiff and twitchy especially under a heavy right foot. Its is a totally different driving style to the Z as now the redline as at 5k instead of 8k, and with more torque available gearchanges are less...which i keep trying to tell myself! The new efficeint dynamics auto stop/start function takes a bit of getting used to, first few times I've been out with people in it they think the cars stalled. As soon as you stop, go to neutral and take your foot off the clutch the engine cuts out, once the clutch is depressed again it kicks back into life...as i sad strange at first but hey.

I've only covered about 500 miles so far so its a little premature to be giving a full review but at the moment I'm really happy with my choice and i can see this one being a keeper! Especially with a p-tronic box fitted it will see performance figures rise to 265bhp and 520Nm of torque with a 10 - 15% increase in mpg....(can't find the smileys anymore, but there are a few inserted here.....)

Pics to follow tomorrow.

Sounds good,

The first tank of over 450 miles seems good too, was this with the start/stop engaged? Wonder what difference the start/stop makes to range, would be good to hear more from you regarding your car once its run in properly,

Enjoy!

Gareth - It certainly did, if it doesn't rain tomorrow, with my limited photo taking ability I shall certainly try!

No experience with them yet, although there is a member on another forum who has already fitted one to his 123d, 1st gear apparently becomes almost redundant, beats the spider box on performance figs....im not convinced on increase in mpg though...i think the spider box would be better here, gizze can tell you more on this as i think it helped him more on his 120d. I reckon the p-tronic box is pure power only!

Cheers

The Spider box really helped mpg on the 163bhp 120d, on my 177bhp Efficient Dynamics car it hasn't made as much difference, on a run when taking it easy I am seeing 55mpg when I would be seeing 50mpg without it, but when pressing on I would say it maybe a bit worse, so down from 45mpg to maybe 40mpg. The box on the 120d saw an increase from 33mpg to 39mpg.

If P-tronic offered a trial period of a couple of weeks I would try it, the gains on the 120/320d 177bhp are pretty good with 226bhp and 458nm of torque.

I would guess I am getting around 210bhp from the Spider box.

Funny you should say that, just been looking on another forum at the various bits. Like the seats although i specced heated seats so not sure if that can be transferred. I like the gear shift and the performance brake package and i'm sure they would be great especially with the a re-map or performance box...they'll prob be needed.... I've a feeling they'll be pricey though! Not sure on the steering wheel...maybe think thats prob more suited to the 135i....

perfwheels.jpg

perfsteeringandgearshift.jpg

perfseats.jpg