Dealer deposits on unreleased cars

mark88

I've spent £75k on new cars from a certain salesman at a certain dealer over the last couple years and talk to him quite a lot.

I'm interested in getting my name down early on one of the rumoured future audi cars but he still requires a £1500 deposit! I'm not really into putting down so much cash on a car that hasn't even been announced and may not see the light of day for 2 years. What's the harm in having my name on the list given he knows I spent quite a bit of money on cars...?

Is this an audi policy, I'm sure some of you guys with good relationships with dealers are able to get on lists without giving away £1500, correct?

Mark88, I think your dealer is taking the p**s. Their definitely no Audi policy on this and if the dealer tells you so it's total BS.

I've had the 1st RS4 Avant & S5 at my local dealer and I've never had to pay a bean as a deposit, not even after specing.

It's maybe time to consider another dealer who values you custom a little more?

If you've got to leave some money with them, go for £1K.

The problem with people wanting to order a currently non-existent car is they don't have the right paperwork for it.

But if I'd spent that much with the same person, then I'd be pushing for just giving them a letter of intent to buy.

Tell him that - he might just change his tune...

I did this afternoon and he did. +++

Says the reason they ask for deposits is because it means they don't have to contact everyone on the list of interest and can just move the £1500 straight onto orders when the car is announced.

Says the reason they ask for deposits is because it means they don't have to contact everyone on the list of interest and can just move the £1500 straight onto orders when the car is announced.

So how do you get to order the spec you want if they don't bother to contact you???

Sounds like bullsh.. to me.