Leather vs Cloth Seats

ricsR32

My dealer here in the States has just informed me of the pending arrival of their first R32 and it has leather seats. I have looked through this entire forum gleaning info on the concerns with leather seats and am seriously considering passing this car up until one with cloth arrives.

So what are the latest opinions from you owners regarding leather vs cloth?

Hi & welcome to TsN!!

I'm on my second R32. My first was one of the early ones & if I had known the leather was going to be as it is I would have agreed & gone for the Grey Alcanthara or cloth.

However, I have had my second car for just under two weeks & I find the leather is far better in quality. But, I haven't sat on them for 9 months & therefore can't compare the wear quite so easily.

A number of other owners here also have quite recent cars & they feel the wear is still poor. The other concern is slipping. If your in a suit or similar, the leather can be quite slippy.

Hope this helps in some way!

Regards

Al.

beerchug.gif

I reckon full leather is nice, but very ££££.

My seats have lots of sagging, and that happened very very soon.

I look after them really well, but sadly the leather is just not that long lasting I guess.

Seen many R32's and they are all much the same. However one friend's car leather is really nice, softer than mine, and hasn't gone that saggy as quick as mine (I guess he got lucky).

HAving said all this, the half cloth/leather interior is VERY nice all the same, and it is a big saving you would be having, BUT would you want a high spec car to have HALF leather???

IF you can say yes, then great! but me - I wanted every option available, So i'm happy with my saggy seats!

[ QUOTE ]

My dealer here in the States has just informed me of the pending arrival of their first R32 and it has leather seats. I have looked through this entire forum gleaning info on the concerns with leather seats and am seriously considering passing this car up until one with cloth

arrives.

I thought about the leather but at £1900, it seemed a bit overpriced. Also alot of people dont rate the quality that much. I ve seen the cloth and it looks pretty good in photos but a bit plain in the flesh, also it could affect resale value. I ended up going for the grey alcantara, mainly because i thought it would be a good contrast with the blue paint and it has a part grey interior which lightened things up on the inside. Now that I ve got the car i must say that they really grip you and there is no sliding about in the corners. Also the heated seats work really quick, when its -5, thats nice too!!

Luke beerchug.gif

The spillage issue has been raised as an advantage for leather and I cannot disagree. We have had leather in two Passats and with a 5 year old, it is certainly easy to keep clean. However, he won't be given the opportunity to whip milk shakes around inside the R32. There is no food allowed inside my car unless it's mine, and then its only the occassional drink. If I spill, I have no one to blame but me.

I am more interested in the longevity and comfort of the seat than I am either the cost, resale value, or panache. Gotta live with it every time you climb in the car, right? That is why I am trying to gather as much feedback as possible. Your opinions are appreciated.

Gabster,

The U.S. is slated to get 5,000 cars. Looks like they will start arriving in January. My dealer has a delivery date to them of January 20. It appears that VW may be sending one car to a bunch of dealers as the first wave and then start filling allocations afterward. Nothing certain, only speculation. No official pricing yet either.

loddrik,

To me it is a dilemma as I am not too keen on paying a premium for leather seats if they are going to crap out in a year or two. I have had leather in past cars and found it ok, but not so exceptional that I wouldn't consider cloth. We do not have the Alcantara option here, only the standard cloth + leatherette seats that I believe is the Monte Carlo option over your way. I have heard enough concern expressed over the performance of the leather seats in the R32 that I wanted some feedback to help me make a decision. There are a number of people who have said if given the choice today, they would take the cloth over the leather.

Leather will be on 65% of the U.S. cars, so it may take a bit more time for the cloth cars to show up. So, I can have a leather car before the end of January or wait another month or two for cloth. That is my dilemma.

Hey rics! Theres TONS of great info on previous pages here in the r32 forum on Tyresmoke. This forum is way more fun than any of them on Vortex smile.gif These guys have me cracking up daily, from across the pond. And the best part, is I can only understand about half of what they are saying, but its just enough to be able to get what they are sayin.

ANyway, gotta run, but yeah, read back a bit on this forum and you'll find some cool info. I'm right there with ya, in waiting for the R to arrive. It'll probably take even longer for it to get to good old California.

TTYL

-=GR

Hi Ric,

Sorry, i think you misunderstood me when i was talking about spillages - i wasn't meaning the kids, more practicising for them!! wink.gif

Sorry i was being flipant but that's a bit of a sore subject for me at the mo!!

Re the thread the best thing about the R32, what i said in there with regards to having to put up with a courtesy car being the worst problem was serious!

I don't know how the dealers are across in the states, but over here, if you have a legit problem with the seats sagging, they will replace them under warranty. Hell, I complained about a knocking noise coming through the steering column, so i had the the rack, suspension and stabilising bar thingy replaced because they weren't sure what was causing it!! If, as seems to be the case that the later models have an improved leather/seat base, then these will be fitted as replacements - ask Stokey, he's had this exeact issue i believe!!

With the warranty that we get, 3 years standard, this will not be an issue for at least that long, and a complaint 2 yrs and 10 months into the life of the car ought to secure you with the latest best incarnation of leather!! Then you can take out a further two years warranty if you so wish.

Hope this helps as this was the train of thought i went down when making my descion!

Incidentally, can anybody else feel a knocking through the steering column? The best way i've found to replicate it is to move the steering wheel quickly from side while stationary with your other hand on the plastic covering of the column by the rake/height adjustment lever?

Chris this sounds exactly what i had on my '97 VR6 highline. When i was stationary or parking and i moved the steering wheel from right to left there was a destinctive 'knock' at a certain point on the steering. Once you had found the knock position you could make it knock at that position every time. In the end VW replaced all the steering, drive shafts, viscous coupling etc etc under warranty, thank god! And the problem was cured. A bit worrying then that the same problem is still there and now there is 240bhp and 4 wheel drive, we shall see i suppose.

Luke beerchug.gif

Hi Luke,

Thanks! I was beggining to wonder whether i was getting paranoid!! beerchug.gif

Since i have virtually had the whole front end replaced it seems to have nearly got rid of the problem - it's certainly a lot less noticable - only a slight knock while stationary but non while driving!

The TT certainly doesn't suffer from this problem and when i informed the mechanic this he bacically said that the two weren't really the same! Even though i have exactly the same wheel dimensions and the steering rack is the same - but hey, what do i know!! suicide.gif

Alcantara is great stuff, I'm very impressed by it. But... if Alcantara is not available and the choice were between leather or cloth/'leatherette' I'd go for leather! I fear the cloth/'leatherette' may look a bit...erm... cheap? UHOH7.GIF

Also considering resale value, I'd definitely go for leather in your case.

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Al,

Thanks for the info. It is indeed helpful.

Curious. How is it you are on your second R32?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Rics,

had a few little niggly problems with my first. Two radio's, dodgy Xenons, drivers seat release kept falling off, glove box kept falling open, petrol fumes coming into the cabin & the engine had an intermittent fault that VW couldn't rectify. Other than that it was fine! smashfreakB.gif

VW offered a replacement as "a gesture of goodwill". tongue.gif

Don't let that put you off in anyway. My second car is lovely, exactly what I should have got 10 momths ago!!

Enjoy.

beerchug.gif

PS - go for leather!

I was concerned about the sagging leather seats, so I chose cloth.

To me, it the cloth looks better than the VW leather (the Audi "Buffalino" is better looking still). Also, you do not slide about on the seats like you do with real leather.

If you get the seats treated with ScotchGuard, there shouldn't even be an issue with Chris' spillages in your car smile.gif

To me, the premium for leather in the R32 was just not worth it, and I'm glad I chose the cloth/leatherette option.

When I ordered my car in May 2003 there was one at the dealers being returned to have the leather seats replaced. It was nearly new but they looked completely spannered.

I therfore opted for the cloth and would do the same again. (evereyone thinks they are half leather anyway!). However if I KNEW the leather would be ok - then I would consider them.

Doesnt help you much - just more confusion confused.gif

Have you tried tossing a coin......