Any news on the MkVI GTI?

Muppetboy

GTI-R - If/When it happens, Im first on the list at my local VW group - My interest was logged today - I've always said that if the R32 had the S3 engine it would be a stonking combination, and it sounds like its going to happen - Can't wait
.....I am in total agreement as i feel a GTi/R would be a worthy replacement for my Ed30..+++

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...."DSG only"?? - Where did you read that?

I don't know and I can't find it now, but lets be honest, DSG boxes are taking over, slowly but surely.

And also lets hope that this actually materialises, as I was No.1 on the order books for the R36...........ha ha

Dependant on price obviously. Plus there will still be the people that want a manual, and from what I've read it will be DSG only - yippee
I dont see price being a problem especially when compared to the S3.Why do you think it would be DSG only?I would'nt have thought vw would want to restrict the market by isolating the customer base..:eek:

I've got a manual MkV and I'd be tempted to go for DSG next.

But I just can't see myself getting the MkVI.

....It's more of a Mk5+half isn't it! Saves us some money by not trading up for longer.

As I'm sure you've read countless times, the DSG really is the best of all worlds. 95% of the time I drive in Manual-mode and use the paddle shifters - Mentally it's exactly the same as driving a 'conventional' manual transmission.

+++

I dont see price being a problem especially when compared to the S3.Why do you think it would be DSG only?I would'nt have thought vw would want to restrict the market by isolating the customer base..:eek:

Because a standard GTi is approx 20k, and the GTI-R will surely be up near the £25k mark, so a lot of owners aren't going to pay the extra, when the GTI is such a cracking car, and then there's someone like me that will have to have the GTI-R - Simple really.

And on the DSG thing, I'm sure I read it somewhere- but I stand corrected if I'm wrong - Mine will be a DSG though

^ I have read the same mate. Cannot remember were as i have been searching everywere i can for more info.

As i said earlier in the thread i can see a market for both GTIs

There has infact always been 2 options of the GTI in its history upto the mk5. In france you could get a mk1 1.6 16V called the 16s then in the mk2 you could get 8V or 16V, mk3 again 8V or 16V, mk4 8V/20V or 20V turbo.

So theres logic in the thinking.

As i said earlier in the thread i myself can see the logic from a Co2 point of view too. There will always be a few who want the most performance version, the POWER version, so to speak and damb the cost / running costs, or them who want a reasonable alrounder that does not cost the earth to run.

Edited by Snoopy

Because a standard GTi is approx 20k, and the GTI-R will surely be up near the £25k mark, so a lot of owners aren't going to pay the extra, when the GTI is such a cracking car, and then there's someone like me that will have to have the GTI-R - Simple really.

And on the DSG thing, I'm sure I read it somewhere- but I stand corrected if I'm wrong - Mine will be a DSG though

There are alot of ex GTi owners running S3's so i doubt price will be the main factor.

For me it will be all about how it puts the power down and if its as much fun to drive as the GTi.

For me the MkV R32 just did'nt do it.

As for DSG or Manual its all down to personal choice,i just hope that vw go ahead and do it..;)

There are alot of ex GTi owners running S3's so i doubt price will be the main factor.

For me it will be all about how it puts the power down and if its as much fun to drive as the GTi.

For me the MkV R32 just did'nt do it.

As for DSG or Manual its all down to personal choice,i just hope that vw go ahead and do it..;)

And there are a more that arent driving S3's, as five grand is a lot, for most people. Me, well Ive owned them all a MKV GTI, R32 and presently an 08 S3, but if they launch this GTI-R, I'm jumping ship so quickly, the handling on the MKV Golf is so much better than the S3 - But saying that the S3 is the most entertaing and fun car out of the three, so combine the engine, 4wd and golf chassis - WOW what a combo!!

And there are a more that arent driving S3's, as five grand is a lot, for most people. Me, well Ive owned them all a MKV GTI, R32 and presently an 08 S3, but if they launch this GTI-R, I'm jumping ship so quickly, the handling on the MKV Golf is so much better than the S3 - But saying that the S3 is the most entertaing and fun car out of the three, so combine the engine, 4wd and golf chassis - WOW what a combo!!
I find your comments with regard the GTi and S3 interesting.Are you saying the S3 is left a little wanting in the handling department,whereas the GTi-R(if it happens)should be the full package?

Have to say the S3/R32 did'nt quite hit the spot for me so hoping a GTi-R will..:D

Edited by CJ92

edit.... For me it will be all about how it puts the power down and if its as much fun to drive as the GTi. For me the MkV R32 just did'nt do it. ;)

Took the words right out of my mouth, CJ. Completely agree on both accounts +++

I find your comments with regard the GTi and S3 interesting. Are you saying the S3 is left a little wanting in the handling department,whereas the GTi-R (if it happens) should be the full package?

....I've heard said by more than one S3 driver coming from the GTI that the S3 doesn't turn in so well and isn't so much fun as it feels "more grown up".

At 61yo I don't mind growing old, just as long as I don't have to grow up! I suppose that I miss the younger and fitter ladies though.

I find your comments with regard the GTi and S3 interesting.Are you saying the S3 is left a little wanting in the handling department,whereas the GTi-R(if it happens)should be the full package?

The GTI has a great chassis, but not enough power, the R32 was thirsty, and nose heavy, and now £400 a year tax, and the S3 is ridiculously fast(especially mine with 300+BHP), but as RR points out the turn in is nowhere near as keen as the GTI. However for me it is the best car I've owned. But yes I have longed for the S3 running gear etc in a Golf - will be amazing, especially when Milltek, re-map etc have been added.

I'm probably going to go to the Paris Motorshow, as the GTI and GTI-R should be there to see in the flesh, as well as the fact that I've never been, and it should be interesting

I'm probably going to go to the Paris Motorshow, as the GTI and GTI-R should be there to see in the flesh, as well as the fact that I've never been, and it should be interesting

....Do we know that the GTI-R will be in Paris?

Hmm, if so, I may be tempted to visit too. Are dates known yet?

At 61yo I don't mind growing old, just as long as I don't have to grow up! I suppose that I miss the younger and fitter ladies though.

.....Nice one RedRobin..+++
The GTI has a great chassis, but not enough power, the R32 was thirsty, and nose heavy, and now £400 a year tax, and the S3 is ridiculously fast(especially mine with 300+BHP), but as RR points out the turn in is nowhere near as keen as the GTI. However for me it is the best car I've owned. But yes I have longed for the S3 running gear etc in a Golf - will be amazing, especially when Milltek, re-map etc have been added.

I think The Knowledge in evo sum up the S3 for me-Very fast,very effective,quality-A little too clinical.Would you say thats a fair assessment?Totally agree with your comments on the R32..
We should plan a TSN day trip out there ;)
.....Sounds a good idea Muppetboy..:D

.....Nice one RedRobin..+++

I think The Knowledge in evo sum up the S3 for me-Very fast,very effective,quality-A little too clinical.Would you say thats a fair assessment?Totally agree with your comments on the R32..

.....Sounds a good idea Muppetboy..:D

Is that you volunteering to organise it? Good man +++:grin:

....I've heard said by more than one S3 driver coming from the GTI that the S3 doesn't turn in so well and isn't so much fun as it feels "more grown up"..

I think you may find most haldex cars feel like this icon12.gif

....Yes, let's hope VW offer the GTI-R and it's not like the long rumoured R36 which didn't happen.

I remember saying as much icon12.gif