ditching runflats...?

bazza_g

Grip is hard to judge in these conditions, I think they have been scrubbed now and offer the same / similar grip to the PS2's. But as the roads are very greasy and its hardly above freezing most of the time in the morning I'm not about to push them hard.

:grin: no kidding, my traction control light spends more time on that off at the moment :roflmao:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no issue with ditching runflat tyres, Infact more and more are doing it now. As long as all four are being changed as ul be surprised the amount of people who want to have 2 runflats with 2 non runflats.

I do know that you have to inform your insurance when switching however they will have no problem with you doing this.

• 4 weeks later...

Due to the recent snow my tyre pressures dropped and it brought up a puncture message on the idrive so I thought was a good time to replace all the tyres to non RFs (always planned this from day 1 but have been very busy and had no time to get it done) but I ran into some problems. No one wants/knows how to do them!

Just curious as to what size tyres did u guys use on the 19"s? The RF on the car say 225/35/R19 on front and 255/30/R19 on the rears, but none of my local tyre shops have any non RFs to put on there instead.

I specifically asked for the Goodyear Eagle F1s and the Falkens but no one seemed to know what to do when it came to replacing the RFs as they didn’t have that size tyre in those brands (wont the size be different anyway due to different type of tyre? width same but more height?). Local BMW service was not useful at all; flatly refusing it could be done?!.

One of the tyre guys called up BMW and they advised I not change as it will mess up the spedo/TPM/invalidate my insurance!!

I have not really had time to research this properly but from what I have read most people are not getting any of these problems!

Any direction would be appreciated; I have tried searching the forum but can’t find any definitive answers!

Any of you guys have recommended tyre guys near Liverpool or in Manchester that can sort this out properly?

Don't even mention or ask questions, just order teh tyres you want, take the car in and get them to fit them.

I think it is BMW Belgium has now ditched run flats completely.

The punture warning system works on rotational differences, there is no pressure sensor in European cars.

You can put on 235/35/19 and 265/30/19 as well.

BMW have not got a clue, they are read from a manual and that is all they can say to anyone.

It would be advisable to tell your insurer you have changed, it won't be a problem though.

• 4 weeks later...

Been following the run flat replacement conundrum across several forums. I've just bought a second hand, dealer approved E90 320D M Sport having crossed over to the 'Dark side' from Audi. Yes, these run flats are a bloody bother and given the harsh ride I'm keen to replace.

Question is.....how do I know if my rims (standard v spoke M SPORT alloys) are EH2 or EH2+. Stealer tells me that I'd have to replace the rims if I wanted non-run flats.......hmmmm!

Help!

cheers,

Tinca

Been following the run flat replacement conundrum across several forums. I've just bought a second hand, dealer approved E90 320D M Sport having crossed over to the 'Dark side' from Audi. Yes, these run flats are a bloody bother and given the harsh ride I'm keen to replace.

Question is.....how do I know if my rims (standard v spoke M SPORT alloys) are EH2 or EH2+. Stealer tells me that I'd have to replace the rims if I wanted non-run flats.......hmmmm!

Help!

cheers,

Tinca

I'm 99.99% sure you can fit normal tyres to ALL rims, but you can only fit RUNFLAT (Zero Pressure) tyres to certain rims specificaly designed to have then on. I think there is an extra ridge to help the sidewall stay in place, which makes no difference being there if you fit normal tyres.

As soon as Mrs B's 130i's run-flats need replacing I'm sticking some Goodyear Assy's on, bl00dy run-flats are terrible and even worse when it's cold.

Its rubbish and a dealer being silly. I've not seen a case where you can't fit them, I've no idea what mine are but I've swapped to runflats on my 18" E90 M-Sports without problems and they are loads better and cheaper. +++

Just reading Carmad's response above and I take it you've swapped away from runflats and not swapped to run flats as stated above? Gald to hear that the rim stuff is total garbage and fully apprciate fitting runflats requires a special type of rim but not the other way!

So from what I have read Falken f452's for about £400 would do the job nd no issues with damper settings, suspension, techy type stuff?

thanks,

Tinca

Just reading Carmad's response above and I take it you've swapped away from runflats and not swapped to run flats as stated above? Gald to hear that the rim stuff is total garbage and fully apprciate fitting runflats requires a special type of rim but not the other way!

So from what I have read Falken f452's for about £400 would do the job nd no issues with damper settings, suspension, techy type stuff?

thanks,

Tinca

I know quite a few bods that have used the Falken 452's and loved them, just don't expect them to last quite as long as Goodyears or Michelins.

It would be worth notifying your insurance company about the change to non runflat tyres... as it could be seen as a "change to original spec"

thanks,

Tinca

I indeed was blond you are quite correct. :o:D:grin:

Yep the Falkens are fine to go to, as for the warranty that will be fine as well. In the US you can buy the car without runflats if you want to so I doubt very much they could throw anything back at you.

I called my insurer as well and they didn't have a problem with tyres being change to non-runflats. +++

Full set of Falken's on Mrs Richy's E91. Really transformed the car. Only £320ish all in from Event Tyres plus the cost of a compressor and some tyre weld stuff. Called the insurance company and they didn't have a problem. Also had a chat with stealer and they were fine too. If you get any stick, I understand there's a European country (Belgium ?) where BMW fit normal tyres. Also, I understand that new orders for ES versions of the E9x will come with normal tyres and run flats are a cost option.

Cheers all -clealry £400 quid spent now will prevent a whole day spent driving around tyre places wating for someone to tell me 'Ooooh Run-flat?We dont repair them mate but we can sell you one for £200.....but not the 225/40R18 you need coz we don't stock it.....be Christmas before we get one of them in mate!':eek:

One wonders if BMW suddenly got bored being sensible? They need to hang the chap that turned up to the office one morning and said: 'you know vee make zee best mota car in zee world, und it really is just uber fantastiche....vell, lets go totally blitzkreig and use zee tyre that does not repair, hardens in zee cold and makes Jonny English boy sheet his underhausen each time he crosses zee cats eye!' (Mind you, in the interests of political correctness, this may have equally come from a very switched on Female engineer given that runflats prevent tyre changes on exposed highways etc etc.....in which case good thinking that Lady!)+++

Come on 'Vorsprung durch technik'.....now's yer chance! Crickey, I can see the Vulva boys in Sweeedun begining to mess their pants, they're so excited they could pull one over on BMW.....ok perhaps not then!:roflmao:

On a serious note I take the point re. Michellin and Goodyear outlasting the Falkens given the mileage I do. Thanks for that.

I'll report back on how I get on in the hope that it helps others consdering the same.

cheers,

Tinca

Cheers CarMad......like me its yet another Saturday night sat at home infront of the PC at a ludicrous time of night coasting the Threads! Ah to be a bloke.....priceless! And no doubt in the morning her upstairs will spit venom when I announce yet more spend on the sweetheart in the garage......well the kids can hang on for food for a few more days yet!:grin:

Too right Bazza and Gizzer; all this talk about obesity in children....shocking!

Keep 'em busy, make 'em run to the shops on errands and let them polish those alloys; thats what I say. If they are good they may view the interior of the vehicle from a safe distance!+++

cheers,

Tinca

• 2 months later...

Want to change my runflats tyres before my DMS map (Michelin PS2 + Bridgestones currently) for some non runflats, have seen some Verdistan Ultrasesnacs for £450 and Falken FK452s for £468. Which would you go for out of the two?

Tyre sizes are the following (From memory):

Rear: 255/35/18

Front 235/40/18

Anyone know any better suppliers, am I getting a good price?

Thanks +++

I would check out the prices of Kumho KU31's.

I had them on my M3 when I got it and they were great, far better than the FK452's.

The Vredestein tyres are meant to get good reviews but I have never tried them so can't comment.

• 3 weeks later...

I need to change my 4 runflats on my 330i MSport today as car has just failed MOT on tyres!

I intend to change to standard tyres (non run-flats) and Event Tyres are quoting about £650 for Goodyear F1 tyres, fitted.

As most of you know the car is 40 profile at the front and 35 profile at the rear.

There are cheaper options if I have 35 profile or 40 profile all round. What's the recommendation on that score?

Another cheaper option is to have Goodyears all round but a different type of goodyear tyre at the front and back, is that ok?

Thanks for any replies.

CMC

Go for the Goodyear F1 Assymetrics they are a good compromise for grip and cost. Replace with the same profile and fit the same type or tyre all round, if you don't you run the risk of compromising the handling of the car.

You got a BMW because it drove well, don't ruin that for a few £££ +++

It is a BMW, it is RWD, it has a wider rear to prevent overtseer.

The profile is a percentage of the width, that is why you have a 40 on the front and a 35 on the rea. Changing this will thorw your traction control out.

I would not put F1s on a BMW anyway.

Look at Kumho KU31s all round will be about £450 fitted.

They will be a better tyre than the F1, alot of the M3 guys are now running them.

You also have Falken FK452s, also a good tyre, will cost you around £400 fitted.

What ever you do, keep the sizes, and DO NOT MIX patterns front and back, you car could feel like very, very twitchy indeed.

Edit: The F1 asymmetricals are better than the GDS3s, but more and more people are saying they are not over impressed by them. I would stick with KU31s or FK452s or go the whole hog and get Pilot Sport 2s.