Disappointment

cruiser647

Just got to thinking about this after Scotty's disappointment with his new car.

How many people must be disappointed with their new cars? (but because of it being a crap car rather than a mistake)

Imagine some bod goes and test drives his potential new car round the block, thinks it's great and buys it. However, when living with it.........well d'oh!

I've been disappointed with a Passat Turbo - it was just pants. I think the MAF was shot and not knowing what was wrong, just got shot of it.

What about the bod that buys one of those Jeep Patriot things? Must be very disappointed once he gets it home and starts to use it?

Anybody else bought a duffer?

Only once....bought new Toyota Celica in 1993....2L normally aspirated engine..153bhp....I thought it was great at first....until a few months later a mate bought a Celica 4wd 200bhp turbo and I had a drive....My car suddenly felt slow...the engine asthmatic and course.Why did I buy 150bhp car when I had the money to buy the Rally based 200bhp version:confused:.....and whats more I kept it for 7yrs and 90k miles....never missed a beat though...well it was a Toyotya....I kept it for so long because I discovered Motor bikes and they gave me my kicks....I`am now 45 and I still ride bikes...but very slowly....and I now drive even slower but just enjoy owning more powerfull cars.

I bought a new Mondeo ST200 in 1999, all was great apart from a fuelling fault that would cause the engine to cut out breifly when under hard acceleration, ie pulling onto the motorway, overtaking etc far from ideal.

It went back to Ford many times for them to fix it although they never did, they just introduced more faults :(

In the end i just chopped it in and got rid, it cost me £13k for the privelige.. thanks Ford! on that not the S3 that replaced it was awesome in every way, still wish i kept it, the S3 that is.

The moral of this story... never buy a Ford again.

Jon.

I'm planning on buying my next car (500 Abarth SS) brand new next year. Hopefully it doesn't go wrong like a typical Italian car.

My Dad has had his Golf GTI from new since April 2005 and mechanically it's been great (obviously the usual cosmetic problems with VW's, i.e. corroding wheels, badges, centre caps etc)

My Dad has had his Golf GTI from new since April 2005 and mechanically it's been great (obviously the usual cosmetic problems with VW's, i.e. corroding wheels, badges, centre caps etc)

What is it with VWs and getting trim right? My friends wants me to detail his Bora V5. All the badges have no silver left on them. Wheels are corroded, the VW centres have faded. Black grill is white, lower black valences need replacing, lots of the window rubbers i wont be able to bring up to scratch.

Only 1. 206 GTI. What was I thinking.

I loved the 1.9 GTI. Twitchy back end, but I thought they were great cars. My brother had a white J-plate one in '94 with red carpet. Mint condition until he wrapped it round a lampost having aquaplained on a sweeping corner :o

The only car I have seriously been disapointed with was the S4 manual, I always wanted one, and then when I got it I was gutted, I had only ever taken one on short bursts and didn't realise that the car just isn't set up for mile muching.

I originally put a deposit down on an auto and think I would have kept that and enjoyed it, but the manual was a complete ball ache from the journey home with it till I decided to cut my looses a couple of months later.

Even the ML270cdi was better than that even if it did make every passenger feel sick! :D

I'm planning on buying my next car (500 Abarth SS) brand new next year. Hopefully it doesn't go wrong like a typical Italian car.

Me too!! +++

i bought a vauxhall Zaferia 1.8 petrol and whilst I didn't have high expectations it managed to disappoint me every time i got it in...

It was shocking in terms of build quality, driving ability and comfort.. The only car I've every really been happy to see the back of.

I loved the 1.9 GTI. Twitchy back end, but I thought they were great cars. My brother had a white J-plate one in '94 with red carpet. Mint condition until he wrapped it round a lampost having aquaplained on a sweeping corner :o

That was the iconic 205 though whereas the 206 was a damp squid. Actually test drove when they came out, totally underwhelming

Only 1. 206 GTI. What was I thinking.

I bought one of these - Big Mistake!

1. Rear tailgate spoiler fell off on way home from dealer and was run over by transit following me.
  2. Air con recharged 3 times in 4 years yet no leaks detected
  3. New heating fan
  4. New head unit
  5. CV joint
  6. new exhaust
  7. 2 abs wheel sensors
  8. New engine management chip

All in 28000 miles from new. :mad:

i loved the 1.9 gti. Twitchy back end, but i thought they were great cars. My brother had a white j-plate one in '94 with red carpet. Mint condition until he wrapped it round a lampost having aquaplained on a sweeping corner :o

2.0.six.....

I bought one of these - Big Mistake!

1. Rear tailgate spoiler fell off on way home from dealer and was run over by transit following me.
  2. Air con recharged 3 times in 4 years yet no leaks detected
  3. New heating fan
  4. New head unit
  5. CV joint
  6. new exhaust
  7. 2 abs wheel sensors
  8. New engine management chip

All in 28000 miles from new. :mad:

Mine:

Unlock its self (great in West London)

Strange noise from the engine at tick over (They all do that sir)

Fuel injection failed leaving it running on 3 cyls (The one and only time I have ever been left at the side of a road)

Generally inept dealers who gave the car back to me with more wrong/dents

Mine:

Unlock its self (great in West London)

Strange noise from the engine at tick over (They all do that sir)

Fuel injection failed leaving it running on 3 cyls (The one and only time I have ever been left at the side of a road)

Generally inept dealers who gave the car back to me with more wrong/dents

It's by no means limited to the French though. 50k of Civic Type R ownership saw:

Alarm going off at all hours but with no predictability

Wouldn't idle properly (stealer had at least 4 attempts to fix & never did)

2 new steering racks

1/2 front suspension replaced

New clutch (I've never needed one in any other car, including an Astra I put 150k on). Not as if it was chewed by the swell of torque:)

Ate tyres & brakes (probably not surprising given the above) - in the time I've gone through one set of pads on the Focus, the Civic would have been well into it's 4th set.

Local stealer did a fine impression of Mr D.Turpin.

When it was healthy it was good fun (if you like that kind of thing, which I do) but all of the above is contrary to popular opinion regarding Honda. Wasn't just me either as others had issues as well.

My old 04 plate Mark V Golf was shocking - was very pleased with it until it started to get faults and was returned over 20 times in one year!

Dealers didn't deal with it very well, VW UK CS were spineless - my first and last VW.

I purchased a Citroen AX GT and that suffered a conrod through the side of the engine casing which resulted in the need for a new engine! 10 months into ownership from new. 7 months later it was on the road again after a right scrap with Sh*troen UK and me having to pay the labour to have the new donated engine fitted. Fortunately I won't ever need to buy a car like that ever again!

On the positive side the Porsche has been the very best car in terms of everything....right up to the two invites to Silverstone to test drive the new Boxster/Cayman.

Tone

What is it with VWs and getting trim right? My friends wants me to detail his Bora V5. All the badges have no silver left on them. Wheels are corroded, the VW centres have faded. Black grill is white, lower black valences need replacing, lots of the window rubbers i wont be able to bring up to scratch.

My Polo is bad too, let's see:

- Corroding roof rack rails

- Red "I" on GTI badge peeling (this could apply to Mk4 Golfs too)

- Paint cracked under the lights where it is indented for drainage purposes

- Standard BBS RX II wheels corroded and the centre caps too

- Rubber base for the aerial corrodes too

At least there is no rust lol