mk iv buying advice.

billy2shots

Been toying for a while about getting a mkiv and after seeing how happy Riz is with his it just makes me want one more. The problem i have is i have owned a mkV GTI and MkV R32, and its just that feeling of going backwards.

From reading posts over the last few years it sounds like the iv is roar and feels more special compared to the V, which itself is a little more powerful and a little better on fuel but not as exclusive.

Beleave me guys if i read a post like this my first comment would be "go and try one" but before i get to that point i would really love to hear from anyone who has owned mkiv and V R32's or GTI's or anyone who has spent a long time in both.

Cheers in advance guys.

I know what you mean. I love the MKIV R32, and although I wouldn't trade my MKV GTI in for one, have thought about it and been sorely tempted on numerous ocassions - more so than the MKV in fact. Like you, I had the feeling of "going backwards" and for me that would be purely down to the design, as although it's a stunning machine (saw one in north-west HIghlands this weekend of all places), it's styling is dated in comparion to the MKV as it's clearly that much older. I fully appreciate that the MKIV for everything it was and is. It's becoming a rarer beast on a daily basis and that's the temptation for me, but that's just what it is - an old skool temptation, but I do fecking love 'em. Try finding a 5-dr MKIV R32 - even rarer!

Edited by JonC

Would I be right in saying that there was a MKIV with DSG, but only in a left hooker?
Yup sure was.... VW UK never saw it fit to import them! :mad: I think there might be possible atleast one LHD DSG MKIV in the UK and im 99% certain the owner actually posted on here but not much!

The shifter paddles were proper quality too, metal ones with big flaps :D

It even had a little DSG badge on the back too!

Riz :D

Yup sure was.... VW UK never saw it fit to import them! :mad: I think there might be possible atleast one LHD DSG MKIV in the UK and im 99% certain the owner actually posted on here but not much!

The shifter paddles were proper quality too, metal ones with big flaps :D

It even had a little DSG badge on the back too!

Riz :D

I'd love to drive one. Real shame they were all lefties +++

I'd love to drive one. Real shame they were all lefties +++
Yep its a shame..... wonder if a RHD car can be fitted with DSG. :o

Im happy with mine as it is and shes staying 100% original..... shes had a bath every week so far! lol eeeek.

Riz :grin:

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot tell you the difference between a MKIV & MKV .:R32 as I have not driven a MKV but I know one thing and that is I would not get rid of my MKIV unless I really had to, That’s the best car I have owned and the nicest drive to+++

The only thing I would say is that I seem to have always been one model behind, When I had a MKII 16v I hated the shape of the MKIII but then it grew on me so I bought a MKIII VR6 and did not like the shape of the MKIV but that then grew on me and I have a very nice MKIV .:R32 (dbp) so I guess in time the MKV .:R32 will grow on me although with only 800 or so of my colour made I have no intentions of getting rid because they will become rare (If there not already) unlike the MKV which is a little more common (Not wishing to upset anybody):roflmao:

I guess at the end of the day it is what you feel happier in :D

I cannot tell you the difference between a MKIV & MKV .:R32 as I have not driven a MKV but I know one thing and that is I would not get rid of my MKIV unless I really had to, That’s the best car I have owned and the nicest drive to+++

The only thing I would say is that I seem to have always been one model behind, When I had a MKII 16v I hated the shape of the MKIII but then it grew on me so I bought a MKIII VR6 and did not like the shape of the MKIV but that then grew on me and I have a very nice MKIV .:R32 (dbp) so I guess in time the MKV .:R32 will grow on me although with only 800 or so of my colour made I have no intentions of getting rid because they will become rare (If there not already) unlike the MKV which is a little more common (Not wishing to upset anybody):roflmao:

I guess at the end of the day it is what you feel happier in :D

One of 12....+++

I had a black 3 door mk4 from new and kept it for about 2 and a half years.

I then replaced it with a blue 3 door, mk 5, DSG.

A nice car, but it just didnt feel as special as the mk 4. Had it for nearly a year and never took to the DSG and then it got stolen.

I absolutely loved my mk4, and thought the mk5 was 'ok'.

As they are both 'old models' now, if I was buying one, I would defo be after a mint mk4.

My old one was a 5dr.... they are even more exclusive with only approx 500 imported by VW UK into the UK.

Mines a DBP 3dr fully loaded jobbie....... :grin:

Riz +++

Having said that, whilst you've posted this Riz, I've been trawling PH and there's 10 5dr MKIV R32's currently for sale! One in red and one in midnight blue; the rest in DPB and black +++

Having said that, whilst you've posted this Riz, I've been trawling PH and there's 10 5dr MKIV R32's currently for sale! One in red and one in midnight blue; the rest in DPB and black +++
Oooooo well it does happen but I think time will make them more exclusive...... the new golfs are good and better cars but for me the original has always been special to me...... hence why I bought another.... this ones for keeps..... :grin:

Ive been waiting for over 6 years for a Audi RS3 and finally it looks likes its happening..... but the way the VAG group is pricing hatchback models its getting out of hand...... im estimating the new Audi RS4 will cost a min of £35k..... for a hatchback or even a sportback its way too much for little interior space.

I happy with my .:R32 and its going to give me many many happy motoring miles :)

Riz +++