A4 TDI 2.0 2009 Mini-Review

aj84

What a crap car!

Got a brand new 09 plate 2.0 TDI which is supposedly the newly refined 2.0 TDI

I had already scrunched up my face when they gave me that as a loaner as mines gone in for a few minor repairs as I was expecting an A5/A6/Q7 but these were going back to Audi on Tuesday and I had booked mine in on Sat...

So I drove off thinking the drop from 2.7 to 2.0 should be ok considering its a new car and bearing in mind I used to have a 07' 2.0 TDI last year

Rubbish!

I've used 1/2 tank just trying to keep up with traffic! I've stalled it about 7 times now - it's an AUTOMATIC!

Consumption is great I have to say but the sacrifice is that it just can't keep up with traffic - I've had Micras overtake me!

Go into sports mode or let down a gear using the pedals on the steering wheel puts the revs up to 4k but thats it... it just makes noise

Not even a SLIGHT movement to suggest you should be picking up a bit on a lower gear!

The Pros:

Damn confortable compared to mine! It's got 17' wheels and I suppose as its a standard model, no s-line/le mans style suspension so its very soft

My Lemans A6 is going to be painful to get back into!

Cloth seats - I actually don't miss the leather for the first time as its quite snug but nothing beats leather!

Looks: It's got a nice new look to it compared to the aging A6

Love the new speedo area/lighting

Cons:

Keep stalling it - its an automatic though - usually coming out of a parking spot

Crap performance...go up a hill and you REALLY struggle!

No Sat nav in this model

No heated seats in this model (needed it today to dry my clothes after the rainfall getting into the car)

Hopefully get mine back today!

I think it might be the 140 BHP model???? so might be a bit short of pull.

Not sure about stalling it though :confused:. Maybe it's been abused as the company loaner?

As you now know, 4 cylinder diesel (no matter how much power or not) will never be a substitue to a refined V6 diesel! +++

But that's my point of my previous car

I had a 2.0 TDI A6 which is heavier and that was 138 bhp...you're right, the A4 is 140 so you would think with that 2bhp more, and less weight, it would be better if not a fair bit better!

as for abused as a loan car, it's done 700 miles, 500 when I got it

If it's been abused at 500miles already, I feel really sorry for whoever ends up with it when its put on sale!

Both the A4 and the A6 were Autos...same gearbox etc

No way a slouch though (the A6) and really had nice push to it

A few people at work think as it was a staff demo car for the first 5-6000miles, it might have been modified in some way

Well I got mine back finally!

Almost crashed it :roflmao:

Why? Well I was trying to be a man and not say anything until the dealership guy sat in the A4 and complained how heavy it was.

Yes - one of the major con in his car is the steering! They might as well have saved space and not bothered with a power steering pump!

When he complained too..I was happy it wasnt just me! Apparently its something the A4's (new shape) is suffering with. Not sure if he said 2.0 or generalised all new shape A4's....

Also when I told him how crap it was and about the power/stalling etc...he mentioned that a few customers had complained too

So again, not me...

I'm glad I bought a 2.7 TDI A6 now :-)

and I'm REALLY glad I'm back in it! Still need totake it back once more to get a wheel re-furbed but won't do it until I can get a decent loaner from them

Well I got mine back finally!

Almost crashed it :roflmao:

Why? Well I was trying to be a man and not say anything until the dealership guy sat in the A4 and complained how heavy it was.

Yes - one of the major con in his car is the steering! They might as well have saved space and not bothered with a power steering pump!

Huh?? What are you saying exactly?

Your steering in the A6 is heavy??

There are two things I don't like about my A6, first is the steering, I detest it.

It has adaptive steering and it is feather light, absolutely no feedback at all, you just don't know what is going on.

Having the M3 as my other car really doesn't help either.

I would kill for heavier steering and I am trying to find out if it can be changed using vagcom?? anyone know??

Oh, and the other thing is the pedals. I completely forgot I said I would never buy another Audi while the pedals are all at different heights.

Why is the brake pedal nearly 2" nearer me than the accelerator???

If I set my seat for the accelerator when I am sat on the brake for any period or in heavy traffic I get cramp.

Set the seat for the brake pedal and I can only get the accelerator 3/4 of the way to the floor without sliding forward in my seat.

I'm seriously considering adapting it so they are level, as I love everything else about the car.

I did a review of the A4 I had for a week.....

http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/tyresmoke-reviews/115967-2008-a4-2-0tdi-s-line-avant.html