Convert I Tunes to mp3?

Depends if it's DRM or not.. If it's not DRM, then you can convert in iTunes.

If it is, then it's a PITA, you can burn it to disc and then rip as MP3, (there are CD-R emulators to save money on this), or obtain the MP3s from an alternate source. That's my main bugbear with iTunes.

Thanks for responses. I've no idea what DRM or PITA means, but I can tell you that on my version of I Tunes, there's no right click option to convert to mp3. I've managed to find a couple of downloadable utilities from the net which convert mpeg.4 to mp3, but they only let you do 3-5 files for free and then demand that you pay!! Anyone know of any free downloads that allow more than a few free conversions?

Cheers

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

If you go into the import options of iTunes you can select what it imports songs as and at what bit rate etc. so after selecting mp3 from there you can then right click on the song shown in your library and it will have the option "Create mp3 version".

You can then click and press shift to select all in your library and let itunes do what it will.

If you filter by bitrate you can tell which are mp3 and which are not.

If you go into the import options of iTunes you can select what it imports songs as and at what bit rate etc. so after selecting mp3 from there you can then right click on the song shown in your library and it will have the option "Create mp3 version".

You can then click and press shift to select all in your library and let itunes do what it will.

If you filter by bitrate you can tell which are mp3 and which are not.

I was thinking the exactly same thing, but you beat me to it!

These issues are exactly why I don't use iTunes, too proprietary and inflexible. About a year ago I ditched it and moved everything to MediaMonkey. Now I can stream music around the house through a squeezebox system, burn CDs, sync to an iPod etc. etc. and I don't have to put up with AAC format files (which can only be played on Apple products) or restrictions on how and where I play my music.

Sorry for the rant.:o