Anyone using the TomTom app for iPhone? What do you reckon to it?

AFAIK, it's UK only, so I'll be keeping my 750 Live for Euro trips, but has anyone got the TomTom app for iPhone?

It's one less gadget to have in the car and it seems to have some very neat features, esp when you combine it with location services on the iPhone, Maps Google and everything else.

What do you think of it? Does it work? Do you have a dash-mount for the iPhone to use it? If so, which one is it and what do you think of it?

Ive got the app on my iphone and its great to have but i find that there maybe issues when the handset itself gets very hot during use and the app sometimes gets confused really easy and starts to slow down.

Dont know if its because my iphone is jailbroken but sometimes its a PITA. I paif £250 for a GO920 a couple of years back but as you say its one less gadget to take about with you and look after.

With regards to iphone holders i got a in car charger and suction iphone holder for about £8/9 delivered i think it was a few months back. Works a treat but it will only fit the iphone if you aint got a case on it.

HTH

I've got the tomtom western Europe app, and in conjunction with the Tomtom car kit it's absolutely brilliant, easily as good as a standalone tomtom, and the best navigation app for iPhone by a long way, in fact I was using it on the nurburgrun this year.

Without the car kit however, the gps is slightly laggy, and it eats the battery in no time.

I've given up on TomTom.

I have Navigator 6 on my HTC Kaiser but I have to migrate to Navigator 7 to get updated maps for Europe.

That's no use to me because I have kids in the US, and US maps are not yet available for Navigator 7.

So TomTom want me to choose between old maps and Navigator 6, or no US maps and Navigator 7. I chose to uninstall Navigator 6 and desert TomTom instead...

I paid <£35 for co pilot and a suction brace for the phone.

For the money both are brilliant. The co pilot has free poi safety cam updates for life and does a better job than my navman standalone. Dont bother shelling out for the live traffic updates as they are simply not worth it. The interface is cool, but the updates dont cut it. Im sure its like that for most makes as its about whether broadcast messages get updated in a timely way. The same on my standalone navman.

Amazon is where i got the iphone suction brace. its just a cheap and cheerful jobby. Never any problems.

35 nika, job done ;)

Just installed the update for the Iphone Tom Tom and the google map integration is excellent addon to it. You can just search for and select a point on there as your destination.

Eg. type in the city like Dalby and select it then search for road/business etc i tried Go-Ape and it comes up with a list of search results from google and then you just select one. Very impressive.

Also it now has options to either select a contact as your destination if you have their address entered already in their profile or enter specific co-ordinates. :)

Edited by fizzbitt

Remember that will incur mobile data charges, worth bearing in mind especially when you're abroad. And won't work if there's no mobile coverage (e.g. remote parts of the Scottish Highlands).

Most iphones are on unlimited data plans, but obviously thats set to change apparently, still it's not going to use much data.

And even without using the google search bit, the tomtom database itself is pretty extensive, giving you phone numbers for almost any POI, requiring no data connection whatsoever.

Remember that will incur mobile data charges, worth bearing in mind especially when you're abroad. And won't work if there's no mobile coverage (e.g. remote parts of the Scottish Highlands).

Cheers for the tip, Dave. I just take for granted access to web services wherever I am. I never even see my mobile bill, so I've not even registered how much it costs. Last trip to Europe was probably quite a bit :uhoh:

Really thinking about getting this but im also due to get a Iphone4 this time next year and with regards to it being compatible this is what it says.

is also compatible with the new iPhone 4 (requires a Velcro pad or 3M sticky pad - not supplied

So what they mean is... No it aint compatible otherwise you wouldnt need the Velcro pad or sticky pad! :rolleyes:

Then i read this in the Q&A section.

Q:This product does not work with iphone 4; why are you advertising it as such?

Details: You need to modify the product because the iphone 4 is too thin to push the connector back and make the connection.

by DP @ 20/07/2010

1 Answers

A: The device will work with the Iphone 4 however needs a slight adjustment, maybe a bit of tape, and this should work as normal, obviously if you are not happy to do so then the item can be returned for refund.

by Michael @ 20/07/2010

Edited by fizzbitt

• 2 months later...