Audi RS3 launch confirmed....

RedRobin

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IIRC, my 5-door Mk5 Golf GTI DSG (S-tronic) weighed about 1575 or 1595 when delivered standard. But the RS3 has a more powerful engine and quattro/haldex, so performance is better.

I've just learned that a very good friend of mine who has come to the Ring with me a few times, has just ordered a RS3. My resistance is likely to take a hit!

How does the S3 weight 225Kg less than an RS3... its more like 80Kg

S3 = 1495

RS3 = 1575 (with Stronic)

Check out the brochure and you will see unladen weight at 1650Kg for RS3 & 1450Kg for manual S3, apologies was 25Kg out there should have read 200Kg difference, that equates to approx 450 pounds or 32 stone, in old money, that is one hell of a load of extra weight to be humping around by anybodies standards, and the reason why this car will understeer like a porker with arthritis on the limit, if its two closet siblings S3 & Golf R are anything to go by, the R is superior to the S3 in this area IMHO and to my mind is about as good as it gets for a FWD set up in this regard,but with an extra 200Kg of weight, really cannot see it, hope I am totally wrong, but the extra fat tyres on the front of the RS3 do nothing to assure me, that I am not to wide of the mark.

That's still a bit of an apples and pears comparison. S3 sportback with S-Tronic is 1515 making 135kg difference. (Unladed weight of 3 door manual is listed as 1455)

We need to wait and see what the handling is like. It's a rather large assumption at this stage, given that no one has driven one, to say that it will be a terrible understeering trollop.

Edited by ahankins

That's still a bit of an apples and pears comparison. S3 sportback with S-Tronic is 1515 making 135kg difference. (Unladed weight of 3 door manual is listed as 1455)

We need to wait and see what the handling is like. It's a rather large assumption at this stage, given that no one has driven one, to say that it will be a terrible understeering trollop.

Not really an apple and pears comparison, but a comparison between what I have actually driven and owned long term: S3 & Golf R both 3 door, and a vehicle using exactly the same platform & haldex system, but with a heavier engine, shell and auto box.M

My point is merely that in my own experience the Golf R is an excellent handling car which does understeer to some extent on the limit, but better than any FWD I have owned over the years (Quattro & RS2 etc).

Then take Golf R and add 200Kg of weight (Basically RS3 Spec) result = a shed load more understeer

Testing round the ring identified understeer as an issue, thus the "fix" of wider front tyres, my comments are not really assumptions, just basic physics, experience of driving this particular platform and feedback from contacts in Audi.

....Hear! Hear! Wait and see. Some folks here are omitting to realise that the RS3 suspension package will be different from both the Golf R and the S3. I'm planning a Nordschleife private trackday in May/June when my usual Nurburgring room-mate will have his RS3. He's coming from a very highly modified GTI Edition30 and has 25 years of track experience so his comments will be interesting.

Also, regards that wretched Value-For-Money aspect which some are so hung up on, the RS3 isn't so overpriced as claimed. Just add the DSG, 5-door, 19" alloys options to the Golf which are included standard on the RS3 and the price difference isn't that great - You have to compare apples with apples etc. And what about the RS3's engine? - Its version in the TT-RS has already gained a very highly rated reputation. The RS3's 7-speed S-tronic box of tricks will apparently handle up to 650Nm. Sorry, but much as I love VeeDubs and Golfs, this RS3 is killer in that 'hatchback' sector. And it's not just about performance, you Audi owners already know about the quality feel they have. That quality is not what I seek and I've reduced all of that in my GTI for the sake of tactile performance, but the RS3 appears to deliver performance out of the box - Just needs a loud Milltek! [Oh dear! I must stop fantasising]

Some folks here are omitting to realise that the RS3 suspension package will be different from both the Golf R and the S3.

That's true, but to be a success (in the eyes of anyone but audifiles) its handling needs to be much nearer that of the Golf R - which has received universal acclaim in the motoring press - than the "understeering trollop" that is the S3.

That's true, but to be a success (in the eyes of anyone but audifiles) its handling needs to be much nearer that of the Golf R - which has received universal acclaim in the motoring press - than the "understeering trollop" that is the S3.

....We'll just have to wait and see. +++

....We'll just have to wait and see. +++
Yes but in all honesty Audi`s have always been the "safe" option, safe handling and never quite hit the mark, the B7 RS4 was the turning point for Audi which pushed them into the new era, then after that it went all boring again......

Riz :D

Yes but in all honesty Audi`s have always been the "safe" option, safe handling and never quite hit the mark, the B7 RS4 was the turning point for Audi which pushed them into the new era, then after that it went all boring again......

....Which is why I will never buy any car without a full test drive first and partly why I chose the GTI over the S3. The Audi might be very good but it doesn't feel so tactile.

....Which is why I will never buy any car without a full test drive first and partly why I chose the GTI over the S3. The Audi might be very good but it doesn't feel so tactile.
Wise words from a wise man.

I have to admit something.... I bought my first R32 without test driving it.

I loved driving company car MK4 Golfs so just went on the back of that... lol

Riz :D

I have to admit something.... I bought my first R32 without test driving it.

I loved driving company car MK4 Golfs so just went on the back of that... lol

....You were seduced by the sound of the V6 - Pure and simple! :notworthy:

I prefer the Mk4 R32 drive feel to the Mk5 R32. I seriously considered px-ing my Mk5 GTI for the Mk5 R32 when it was released and my dealer lent me one for the day (petrol at my expense of course). I test drove it back-to-back over a very varied 60-mile 'lap' locally and found my GTI felt much more tactile. This was before my car was quite so modified.

....Hear! Hear! Wait and see. Some folks here are omitting to realise that the RS3 suspension package will be different from both the Golf R and the S3. I'm planning a Nordschleife private trackday in May/June when my usual Nurburgring room-mate will have his RS3. He's coming from a very highly modified GTI Edition30 and has 25 years of track experience so his comments will be interesting.

Also, regards that wretched Value-For-Money aspect which some are so hung up on, the RS3 isn't so overpriced as claimed. Just add the DSG, 5-door, 19" alloys options to the Golf which are included standard on the RS3 and the price difference isn't that great - You have to compare apples with apples etc. And what about the RS3's engine? - Its version in the TT-RS has already gained a very highly rated reputation. The RS3's 7-speed S-tronic box of tricks will apparently handle up to 650Nm. Sorry, but much as I love VeeDubs and Golfs, this RS3 is killer in that 'hatchback' sector. And it's not just about performance, you Audi owners already know about the quality feel they have. That quality is not what I seek and I've reduced all of that in my GTI for the sake of tactile performance, but the RS3 appears to deliver performance out of the box - Just needs a loud Milltek! [Oh dear! I must stop fantasising]

Red you really are starting to sound like a fully paid up member of the "Rose Coloured Glasses Audifile Brigade" and your comments are some what contradictory, staing that the "RS3 is killer in that hatchback sector", whilst maintaining that you require a test drive before forming an opinion on the car.

In regards to the suspension set up, what is so different on the RS3?? There is no mag ride option available, so ride and springing will have to be a suitable comfort / handling compromise, at least with the TTRS you have the sport button interfacing with mag ride and steering, oh and the TTRS is 1450Kg, and a quite a decent handling car,that does not require wider track tyres at the front, and a car that stangely enough generates understeer at Golf R levels.

I can also confirm, that if you compatriot is UK based, he will not be seeing his car till late 3rd quarter earliest, with 4th quarter the more likely scenario, as I think everybody is aware UK PLC is bottom of the pile these days, when it comes to VAG product, as my mates in Audi say,and VW for that matter, it is not selling the cars that is the problem, it is physically getting any bloody cars to sell.............in conclusion I hope as previoulsy posted that my views turn out to be completely wrong, and that this car is a "Killer" as you put it, IMHO it has been a completly missed opportunity in 5 door S Tronic only specification.

Red you really are starting to sound like a fully paid up member of the "Rose Coloured Glasses Audifile Brigade" and your comments are some what contradictory, staing that the "RS3 is killer in that hatchback sector", whilst maintaining that you require a test drive before forming an opinion on the car.

....Perhaps I should have made it clearer by adding the words "on paper" to "the RS3 is a killer in that hatchback sector", or, "the RS3 appears to be a killer".

Regarding the 'mag ride' option, I'm glad it doesn't have it. Those 'comfort' settings are a waste of time imo - Comfortably numb to quote Pink Floyd and a nuisance as the car with that option always defaults back to soft whenever you've finished your play session.

Magnetic ride in Audis' does not have the three way settings - Comfort, Auto and Sport (Dynamic) - that you get on Audis' with 'regular' adjustable dampers or air springs. It only has 'normal' and 'sport'. Try a TT, S3 or an R8 with magnetic ride in 'normal' - it might ride well but it certainly handles fine. Sport is great for B roads and normal for motorways/town. Personally I wish it was an option on the RS3 like it is on the TTRS.

PS I would be more put off by the rear tyres being narrower than the fronts - great way of winding RS3 owners up.

Hi Merlot, how you doing?

Still got hose GTI alloys you sold me many moons ago, didnt get to use them in the end! Handle was FAGSAH in those days, in the big changeover I managed to lose my original name..........and post count!

I have driven all mentioned cars plus TTRS on 18s no Mag Ride and TTRS on 19s with Mag ride, Mag ride required on TTRS even with 18s IMHO,as without it ride can be a bit choppy, particularly in light of the latest rash of road surface damage due to the weather conditions, some sections of the M4 down my end have bloody great potholes, not good at 70mph (The speed I always drive at of course :-) )

You still got the sportback? Considering RS3 with "Puffy Fronts" ??