Typhoon T-Jet Fins - for Snorkelling or not?

Waylander

Fair enough - thanks+++ (although I thought you boys suggested that I DO get fins last time?!:confused:)

Plan wasn't to look like a pro (although I understand what you mean) just get some not-completely-crap kit and try to enjoy the experience.

Don't want to spend too much as chances would be limited anyway.

shite fins seem to sell for a tenner so I thought these for £15 would be a small worthwhile buy.

I have found a mask that fits nicely from decathlon, want to get a dry snorkel as I know gulping water would annoy me greatly.

All this of course depends on them even lifting the snorkelling ban from the beach/jetty in Sharm by the time I get there! Still in place yet and they seem to have rather weightier issues occupying their time....

Yes, get a pair of flippers/fins, but it isn't going to change whether you actually like it or not.

If they're £15 then it's probably a good buy but I've managed for many years and whatever I could get hold of in resort - and then left them there to save luggage space. I've only brought my mask back.

Ah okay I see what you mean now.

The resort has a dive centre which rents them at E5/day.

I wouldn't really want to rent a snorkel so could buy one from there (probably cheaper than getting one from here I suppose).

Otherwise just "starter" masks than fits comfortably for the Waylander clan+++

Fins are more appropriate for snorkeling when you intend to frequently duck dive and want to spend 45 seconds close up to the life underwater.

They do increase travel rate x 3 over what God gave you (feet).

If you intend to go out on boats, wrecks, or off shore reefs then they will be useful for getting around. It just depends on what you (and yours) call snorkeling. You see plenty of kids and even adults with half float waistcoats on, and all they want is a surface swim with head under.

If you get to the point that reefs are in 8-15ft of water, and want to get down then flippers become a necessity.

Mask is important, maybe some footwear in shallow standing areas to avoid those horrible black spiky things.

I'd just hire them for the day, via the boat or scuba school- they take up far too much room luggage wise.

To be honest I think flippers are a necessity even if you're going to stay firmly on the surface.

I've been in seas where the swell and tide has been strong enough to stop me being able to swim out of it without the aid of flippers - in fact even when using them it can come as a major surprise how far you can be taken with a bad tide. In Mauritius I was snorkelling in about 5 metres above a reef when the swell of the inner reef tide took me about 30-40 metres in seconds. Without flippers I would have been knackered.

Thanks for all the perspectives in this thread - very helpful.

Basically what me and mine call snorkeling is an abstract term atm having never done it although I do envision wanting to duck-dive and seeing the reef and fishies close-up.

For the wife/kids it will be surface swimming and looking in.

I also agree with the reef shoes Chri5. Have just bought myself a pair and wife is on the case to get them for everyone before we leave.

Kids are excited and have seen garish coloured basic kids' snorkels they want - negligible prices and worth it just to feed their enthusiasm. Did take them to try on simple masks as above.

I guess if I see a brucey-bargain for some light fins between now and easter I might get me some otherwise will just rent or buy there if required....

A point to note here is I think you'll be surprised with how little depth you'd have to go to. Most snorkelling trips for beginners will mean you'll see everything from the surface with no issues at all. In places like the DR, Bahamas, Red Sea, Indian Ocean etc the visibility in the shallows is so good it is incredible.

I was 2 miles out on the inner reef when I got hit by that swell but I didn't have to go from the surface once - because even in all the turmoil around me from the waves and very 'peaky' reefs from the ocean floor to within a foot of the surface, the water quality was incredible. I wouldn't worry about swimming under for a good while - just enjoy the view and take it all in.

• 2 months later...