It’s Official: New Jersey will Host a Formula 1 Grand Prix in 2013

Andy_Bangle

Yesterday, Formula One officials announced that the deal is sealed and the F1’s glamorous circus is indeed coming to northern New Jersey in 2013.

The race, officially to be known as the Grand Prix of America (not to be confused with the United States Grand Prix at the purpose-built Circuit of the Americas), will be held on a new 3.2-mile street course being carved out of the New Jersey towns of West New York and Weehawken, offering the New York skyline as a panoramic backdrop. The grand prix is currently scheduled for June 2013,

AFP: New Jersey to host F1 Grand Prix in 2013

So where will we loose - Turkey? Korea? the European GP?

Edited by Andy_Bangle

Have visions of the F1 cars on the Boardwalks of Atlantic City!

As mentioned previously, the Korean one might well disappear due to the Greedy one, and now a bigger market has emerged in the highly populated area of New Jersey....... and all the corporates there and in NY/Washington. Wow!!!! Kerching!!!! $$$$$$$

What!? surely this is a wind up? an F1 street race in Weehawken? Bizzare.

I commuted through there for 3 years, its not really a place you would want to run an F1 race.... there are far better tracks and stadium complexes along the East Coast, although I guess fewer NASCAR suporters so F1 might be well received.

It'll could be like Monte Carlo, just with slightly more gangsters and corruption....

This is going to be a privately funded ten year deal headed by Leo Hindery, a well-known American businessman and Le Mans class winner.... wonder what the poison dwarfs cut will be?

Hindery said the roads for the street race are already in place and only need to be resurfaced.

"We build our stands, our pits and paddock club. We put up barriers and catch fences. We put it up and take it down,"

Night race doesn't fit in with the European audience as race would be on TV midnight or after due to East Coast being 5hrs behind.

Night races were really adopted so the races in those areas could be broadcast live at peak times in Europe for maximum audience figures

Good point Bob, that's advanced thinking on your behalf!

You never know with Bernie, he's starting to turn his back on the European market and trying to develop the US and Asian markets (and sponsors) so anything is possible in a few years. In 2013 there will be three races in N. America plus one in Brazil (4 out of 20 races). What with the falling attendances and bad press in Indy Car and NASCAR, could it be F1 time's in the USA?

You never know with Bernie, he's starting to turn his back on the European market and trying to develop the US and Asian markets (and sponsors) so anything is possible in a few years. In 2013 there will be three races in N. America plus one in Brazil (4 out of 20 races). What with the falling attendances and bad press in Indy Car and NASCAR, could it be F1 time's in the USA?

If that's teh little guy's strategy then to capatalise on it you would need at least one competitive US driver is the field. Someone along the lines of Danica, although I'm not sure she can be competive in F1 but certainly would liven up the PR

It's on the cards if you believe the rumours.

Rumours generated by the annoying French midget himself to keep his tiresome mug in the news.

He wasn't quick enough then, he was the most undeserving WDC ever, and the only thing in F1 more annoying than him was his legion of deluded, retarded fans.

The chances of him (or they, thank God) coming back range from nil to absolutely f*cking never.

If that's teh little guy's strategy then to capatalise on it you would need at least one competitive US driver is the field. Someone along the lines of Danica, although I'm not sure she can be competive in F1 but certainly would liven up the PR

Danica would certainly fill the PR criteria, She would be so out of her depth in F1. There are some very good American drivers, but they are all to happy with their NASCAR lot to move on. Kyle Busch, Jimmy Johnson and afew others are all top drawer.

Scott Speed was the last American in F1 and whilst he didnt set the world alight, was no tugger. He lost his drive due to his awful work ethic and attitude.

Kyle Bush, Tony Stewart, Sam Hornish Jr, Graham Rahal, Jimmy Johnson, Carl Edwards and afew others could all do justice to an F1 drive.

I think there's a natural cynicism among many European fans, and perhaps an underestimation of the skill required to be among the very best oval racers.

Nah, sorry but I just don't buy it, anyone, and I mean anyone, even my nan, could drive flat out round an oval track, I don't believe there is any skill involved at all, it is all entirely down to who has the mechanical advantage in the 'best' car.

A good mate who has been racing, building, and supporting as pit crew, rally cross cars, took me up to Rockingham, to watch him get a play in a proper NASCAR, he described it as being very fast, but requiring no skill to drive whatsoever, and once you'd got used to the speed, boring.

I very much doubt what you saw at Rockingham was a "proper" NASCAR. I remember going to watch the shortlived Ascar series there once. It was one of the longest days of my life.

Oh it was a proper NASCAR all right, there were various famous American drivers wandering about too, I just didn't know who any of them were!