Schumacher retires

NewNiceMrMe

I think that's interesting as a point of view.

See, I hated the bloke when he was winning world titles - mainly because I thought his sportsmanship was terrible.

But, I don't think his legacy has been tarnished one bit. He still has 7 world titles (or however many it is) and is one of the greatest drivers of all time. He came back and for at least one year his car was nowhere near where it needed to be. Then, he's a lot older and in a very physically demanding sport where, no matter how hard he trains, he's never going to be as fit as the much younger guys. Finally, no-one can tell me someone of his age drives with the same aggression that he did when he was younger - because he doesn't.

It hasn't changed what I think of him or his record. In some ways I think more of him now than I ever did, because to come back and maintain reasonable performances in a fairly average car has been quite remarkable. Most drivers of his age simply wouldn't have the motivation or physical ability to complete a quarter of a race, yet he's kept going and plugging away.

I have total respect for his achievements (barring perhaps 2 world titles).

More world titles than anyone else in history. Most titles in a row (5). Largest ever winning margin (67 points). 15 wins in a year. A record 155 podium finishes. 68 pole positions (again, a record). 77 fastest laps (a record).

Nothing he's done has changed that in my view. Then of course....a record 91 GP wins. 91, jesus wept. If that's a tarnished legacy, I want one!

As you say to be expected. It's just sad that his legacy has been tarnished with his performance over the last couple of years.

Nonsense (in my esteemed opinion! :grin: ). The only people who really think that hated him anyway.

A final couple of seasons without success make no difference to the straightforward fact that he is the most successful F1 driver of all time. He came back because he missed the thrill of driving an F1 car. Sure he'd have liked to have won a race (might yet do!) but it's not as if he claimed he was back to win titles.

However ... I am seriously uncomfortable when any motor racing driver/rider announces their intention to retire. I'd much rather they went there and then, as soon as the decision is made, so as not to allow fate any opportunity to play its cruellest hand.

I respect him but have never liked him and didn't like the bias he had in the team and further afield within the sport either. He at times had special tyres that not a single other driver could use not even his team mate that gave him to my an unfair advantage.

I won't be sorry to see him go, as Mook says I don't think he should have come back, it wasn't for the money I think he just got bored of falling off his motorbike.

Good driver but the sport can an most certainly will move on with him not being there.

Nonsense (in my esteemed opinion! :grin: ). The only people who really think that hated him anyway.

A final couple of seasons without success make no difference to the straightforward fact that he is the most successful F1 driver of all time. He came back because he missed the thrill of driving an F1 car. Sure he'd have liked to have won a race (might yet do!) but it's not as if he claimed he was back to win titles.

However ... I am seriously uncomfortable when any motor racing driver/rider announces their intention to retire. I'd much rather they went there and then, as soon as the decision is made, so as not to allow fate any opportunity to play its cruellest hand.

As always, I respect your opinion.

He may have had special tyres and unfair this and unfair that. But what about his first race for Jordan. He put that poo car right up there where it didn't belong. He was immediately sold on because he was so fast. He built teams around him, had the best of everything and dominated F1 because no one could match him, his fitness or his dedication. I'm glad to see him hang up his gloves. He's nothing to prove. Hope he stays around F1 but with something meaningful not just standing on the pitwall. Bernie should make him an ambassador or something.

A great driver, with a desire to win that often took him too and sometimes over the edge of acceptability.

From what I have read and been told rather than from personal experience, a properly decent man as well.

I hope he has a long and happy retirement.

Edited by jimdiesel

Didn't he give £20m of his own money to the Boxing Day Tsunami fund too?

I've heard that he's quite philanthropic and unassuming outside the sport and the perception of him as a professional sportsman is a far cry from the modesty of the man.

$10m, apparently. Quite a gesture. His bodyguard and his two young sons were killed in the tsunami, so there was a close connection to it too.

The donation was greater than that given by many countries, the cumulative amount of all sporting leagues around the world and many global corporations.

His personal wealth is estimated at £515m (pounds sterling, not crappy dollars although I'd happily settle for $515m) and from what I've just read online it would appear the general concensus is that over the years he's given in excess of $50m to charities. That's very impressive even when you consider his wealth, because as a percentage of his worth there'll be very few people could match it (Bill and Melinda Gates aside).

A great driver, with a desire to win that often took him too and sometimes over the edge of acceptability.

From what I have read and been told rather than from personal experience, a properly decent man as well.

I hope he has a long and happy retirement.

I agree, in his second term in F1 he became more personal and warmer as a person. With the retirements he has been experiencing this year he has been quite happy to do interviews, whereas in the Benetton and Ferrari days he wouldn't talk for a good few hours and still have a face like a wet Monday morning on him. He even started to talk to Brundle again after their falling out back in 1997!

I see a DTM ride next year to fill the gap that F1 will leave, as he didn't really fit into the Ferrari ambassador role very easily back in 2007.

I think that's interesting as a point of view.

See, I hated the bloke when he was winning world titles - mainly because I thought his sportsmanship was terrible.

But, I don't think his legacy has been tarnished one bit. He still has 7 world titles (or however many it is) and is one of the greatest drivers of all time. He came back and for at least one year his car was nowhere near where it needed to be. Then, he's a lot older and in a very physically demanding sport where, no matter how hard he trains, he's never going to be as fit as the much younger guys. Finally, no-one can tell me someone of his age drives with the same aggression that he did when he was younger - because he doesn't.

It hasn't changed what I think of him or his record. In some ways I think more of him now than I ever did, because to come back and maintain reasonable performances in a fairly average car has been quite remarkable. Most drivers of his age simply wouldn't have the motivation or physical ability to complete a quarter of a race, yet he's kept going and plugging away.

I have total respect for his achievements (barring perhaps 2 world titles).

More world titles than anyone else in history. Most titles in a row (5). Largest ever winning margin (67 points). 15 wins in a year. A record 155 podium finishes. 68 pole positions (again, a record). 77 fastest laps (a record).

Nothing he's done has changed that in my view. Then of course....a record 91 GP wins. 91, jesus wept. If that's a tarnished legacy, I want one!

....He's rather like you, Chris!

I often disliked you in your previous regular TsN life and *********** days (or whatevever it was called), but you are a changed man this time around +++

I agree with what you have posted about Schumi.