Need an iPad.

Sponge

My mother in law wants an iPad and she also wants an Office app for creating docs, spreadsheets, etc.

She been a PC user for many years and currently owns a laptop running Windows 7 and Office 365. She has a Windows Phone (Nokia Lumia 800). (No other Apple products.)

What do you guys use on your iPads? Is it best to buy one direct from Apple's website? I think I can get cashback.

Sounds like a MacBook would be a better bet to be honest... iPads are good for simple email, but I wouldn't want one as my only means of doing documents.

MS Office is available and runs fine on my MacBook Pro too, which enables sharing of documents easy...

I've been interrogating her on what she actually wants to be able to do and as usual, she's not entirely sure. :rolleyes: All she knows is she wants a tablet, something bigger than my Nexus 7, which gives her something bigger than her phone to view the internet on when out and about (suggests to me it needs to have 3g), a keyboard she can use her arthritic hands with and is more portable than her laptop, so she can take it around with her. She wants to be able to share (view) pictures etc with her house bound sister and also create & edit office docs.

I'm wondering if an ultrabook of some sort would be a better idea.

A Surface Pro also springs to mind.

An iPad makes more sense if you already have other Apple stuff. Seems to me she'd be better off with a tablet/ultra book running Windows 8.

Agreed, maybe a Win 8 Surface tablet would fit better especially if main use will be MS Office apps +++

Netbook or Ultrabook with Windows 7 not 8 is where my money would go.

Ipads (we have IPad 3 and Mini) are all well and good but they are restrictive and little things wind you up like not remembering entries on websites you use regularly, you can't upload photos to websites and the lack of Flash is still annoying.

IPad mini goes away with me but so does the Samsung Netbook.

I may have an 11.6" Macbook Air (1.6 C2D, 4Gb RAM, 128Gb SSD) to move if you're interested? Will check it out in the office in the morning if you are, make sure it's all good.

No idea what they go for - will have a look.

Sponge if she just needs it as a tablet touchpad device I can recommend the Asus Smart Tab - I have one; it runs Win 8 (not RT).

The keyboard/cover option on it is currently gash so I didn't bother to buy that.

Seems fine for general tablet use to me and you DO have the option of desktop and running Office.

The Lenovo is likely a better bet but more expensive