What's the deal with Jeep

billy2shots

Possibly looking for a 4x4 that is ok on the road and can handle light off road use. I have readjusted my budget because I decided I didn't really want to take an expensive (to me ) car through the mud.

Starting looking on AT at cars around £12-15k mark and came across a few jeeps.

The Compass stood out as my budjet would get a 2011/12 car with 20k miles or less. The Limited model is very well appointed for kit. Never took any interest in them so did a quick read up online in the usual places.

My god they have terrible reviews. How can a large brand with a big yank following and sales be so poor.

Does anyone have any experience with the brand and should they be avoided? I must admit that the reviews seemed a little harsh and had it been a British brand it would have faired better.

• Like 1

American cars only work in America, where they have low prices and the punters have low expectations, they will overlook utterly ridiculous build quality, poor quality materials and horrendous reliability simply because it's American made*.

By the time they get here, they are too expensive, depreciate like a lead balloon, and simply aren't even in the same game with emissions and MPG.

*insert whoops and hell yeahs here

Edited by Tipex
  • Like 1

American cars only work in America, where they have low prices and the punters have low expectations, they will overlook utterly ridiculous build quality, poor quality materials and horrendous reliability simply because it's American made*.

By the time they get here, they are too expensive, depreciate like a lead balloon, and simply aren't even in the same game with emissions and MPG.

*insert whoops and hell yeahs here

It was the 38mpg urban and low tax bracket that made me look into it further. 178g which is not too bad a tax bracket. The poor residuals make them look attractive now as a 2 or 3 year old car is the same as a poverty spec 2005/6 BMW, land rover etc.

However if they are as badly built as many are saying it doesn't matter how cheap they are.

Edited by billy2shots

On the plus side, the big V8 versions are low maintenance and do mega mileage, even with a LPG conversion.

The insides are made for fat people, so nice big comfy leather arm chairs, big doors and controls for the ham fisted, heated seats, electric everything, most of which even works for a while and a dash that doesn't really age as it's already a classic from the late 70's.

They tow heavy stuff with ease. They are ok on muddy tracks, have good ground clearance and take dogs, guns and dead stuff in the boot with ease.

So not all bad, but I couldn't have one as a daily driver though.

+++

Friend of mine has a Grand Cherokee that is about 6 years old.

It has been faultless. Big spec, cheap as chips, he's never had a problem with it mechanically and, according to him, it has no interior trim rattles (something they get criticised for).

I must admit I quite like the look of them.

Although I mentioned the compass I was interested in opinions on Jeep as a brand. They sell well in the states and are used in a lot of action films I have seen recently. I couldn't understand why the yanks love them and Brits hate them.

The earlier comment by Tipex about buying them simply because they are American seems to be the long and short of it.

That's not a bad thing and I think the British car media has been favouring British brands in recent years in an attempt to drive up sales.

Land Rover according to the press in recent years keeps churning out perfection after perfection. I know 8 people with a land rover model all bought in the last 4 years from new and all of them have had plenty of reliability and build quality issues.

Jags are flavour of the month yet I can't imagine anyone buying one over a German rival.

Aston? Well they are gods own creation if you believe the press.

Speaking of Jag's... I overheard a conversation yesterday.

Bloke who runs a company near my offices has got an XF.

He's had it just under a year. In that time it has spent 2 months with the dealer.

He was delighted to pick it up yesterday morning after its latest 2 week visit.

Only for it to break down as he drove it off the forecourt. :roflmao:

Edited by NewNiceMrMe