Red leather

Booster

Calm down Bangle!

Looking at a potential new car for the mrs and it has red leather. It is brand new but is a showroom car.

The bolster on the seat base of the drivers seat has got black marks on it. I'm concerned that on a brand new car that has had a few bums sit in it has marked already will look bloody awful after a few months.

Anyone had any experience of day to day life with red leather interiors?

Really depends on the leather type. The Fox-Red in the M3 was VERY soft and did over time start to get denim dye staining, but it came out after a detailer had a go at it.

Mate with a brand new M6 has the individual creme (or champagne or whatever) and after just one long weekend trip to the 'Ring the leather was stained !!!

The creme/white leather in the Merc is pretty tough, but it's not shown any signs of staining yet and I wear jeans 99% of the time.

I'd not worry too much, problem with cars being on demo is no one pays any care when getting in/out and scuffs and marks often occur.

What car is it ?

Have you looked at X5's too? I seriously prefer the BM (don't think I'll ever buy another Audi tbh) and they are nowhere as big as you think!

I have mentioned them. One 40d in black in particular but I am being over ruled! There is this actual car (and not any other Q5 currently for sale) and several Evoques that she likes. I will not have an Evoque on the drive. Current 08 plate Rav4 has been a brilliant car and I'm not sure how I even ended up in this situation of potentially buying a new car! I blame my sister and her new Evoque! Women!!!!!

Edited by Booster

That car looks spot on mate, the contrast of colours seems to work well, with the darker alloys and aluminium interior finish. The red leather complements it well, even though it looks quite bright in the pictures.

I wasnt sure about the red leather in my current Beemer but over time it grows on you and complements the black well (there some pictures in the marketplace section as iPad doesn't let me add them here!)

Edited by max_b
  • Like 1

As above my BMW lemon trim looked unmarked after 25k miles, my Audi grey looked a state, same driving style same person, I just put it down to basic quality of the material.

When I was looking for a 4x4 recently I did all the drives and ended up with a new x3 it was leagues ahead of the évoque and I though a whole lot nicer day to day drive than the Q5.

I had red leather in both my M3 Coupe and my Z4 35i.

Never had any issues with wear or marking on either.

The X5 had Champagne Merino individual leather and denim would stain it quickly, but it always wiped off.  The same goes for the Oyster in the X6. 

I really don't think any light or red leather is an issue if you look after your car.+++

I'd ask Luke what products seal and work with such leather as a protector, restorer or cleaner.

You might need one, or all three.

I take it the family car so consider the mess the kids make now, repeat that is the new car which has a seating surface that already has marks and it suggests future problems.

Can you get them to throw in scotch guard or something similar?

One of the reasons we kept the Rav for so long was due to the mess the kids make. They are older now so it isn't as bad.

I would get my valeter to put some form of protection on the seats and the paintwork. For a lot less than the £469 that they automatically added to the price of the car....

Thats a lot for a two litre!  Looks like its a demo not available to sell for three months?  Seeing as it will have miles on it by the time its available to buy, also consider 2013 3.0 TDis with a few miles on the clock too that are available immediately Audi Approved   +++

edit spelling!

Edited by Ian_C

The car will only do about 8k a year so doesn't justify buying diesel. It has got 68 miles on the clock and the sales manager there is a mate of mine. He wasn't there yesterday but if we go ahead I shall make sure it isn't used as a demonstrator any more.

List with the options it has is over £47k! I have already got them to move on price as I know how much write down value they get by registering it as a demo car.

The list price on my 2 litre diesel was £44k. 

If you spec any medium to large sized Audi, BMW or Mercedes you'll find you rise above £40k very quickly indeed.  I did go to town a bit and of course didn't end up paying anything like the price above, but there's no such thing as a cheap premium car nowadays.