Diesel or petrol

Booster

It isn't old thinking, it's still fact, the break even point for a diesel is something in the region of 23k miles.

In this case with the purchase price being identical, it skews the argument, but it's unusual to not pay a premium for diesel.

And around here, the difference in price between petrol and diesel is nearer 10p/L.

Lets not get too deep in figures and some of the minutea (sp) stuff, Mr B will get a cracking deal on whatever he buys, so purchase price might well be a bit of a red herring!

As he has also said, Mrs B likes one over the other already because of the even look of the exhausts, and that's before driving them.....

However, it's always good to 'discuss' this stuff in detail

I should add that I have just got back from filling my works car up. My local had dropped petrol prices since I was last there and the gap is now 7p the most I have seen here. Still cheaper to do the 4000 miles in my real world example above.

Tipex that break even point seems massive. You worked that out only on mpg and fuel cost, not purchase price etc. we must have very different calculators.

There's lots of discussion and variance in the break-even points though. This is money quote about 10k miles for example, whereas the Parker's calculations are particularly extreme. 

Day to day operational costs per mile will be cheaper - but you start building in costs beyond explicit fill costs, and the model becomes far more complex, and I think that's where diesel loses out. You need to be doing the higher mileage to bite into the increased servicing costs, initial purchase price (mostly) etc. Also, petrol depreciates more doesn't it?

It'll also depend on your attitude to personal finance. Some people like to avoid monthly operational costs, but are OK with capital type spend due to their income models. I'm very much like that as I get paid sporadically - I keep my month costs low (I know that doesn't apply to my car in this instance)...but then can also affect people's choices?

The model is complex, things like BMW offering a 120d five year service plan for £375 including any oil top ups throws it all out.

Then there the old mantra of diesel for distance journeys, yet a diesel is a better drive in town due to torque.

The technology evolution screws it up even more, let's play golf GTi v 120d

Price not far away from each other, real speed and power not far from each other. Road tax quite different over a five year ownership, and diesel at +10% difference, but economy over all driving types maybe 30% advantage to the diesel. And the residuals on the cars at 60k 5 years favours the diesel.

Discuss ?

No, it includes average purchase prices and running costs.

They aren't my figures, i'm to lazy to work it all out, as I said above though, the fact these two cars have an identical purchase price, which is unusual, skew the figures.

I can only really comment on 2 types of car. The VAG engines that I use day in day out which are the same as the options the OP has and on BMW where I have spent 3 months of crunching numbers.

https://www.bmw.co.uk/vc/ncc/xhtml/start/startWithConfigUrl.faces;jsessionid=f499f2ae07995463b8ff64c3bb10.3?country=GB&market=GB&productType=1&brand=BM&language=en&name=e0o1k0m9#MODEL_ENGINE

A quick look reveals the diesel engine is £1000 cheaper than the petrol stable mate and without checking I think falls in a lower tax band. Add in 20mpg better around town and I am sure you can forgive me for questioning your 20 odd thousand mile break even point.

I can only really comment on 2 types of car. The VAG engines that I use day in day out which are the same as the options the OP has and on BMW where I have spent 3 months of crunching numbers.

https://www.bmw.co.uk/vc/ncc/xhtml/start/startWithConfigUrl.faces;jsessionid=f499f2ae07995463b8ff64c3bb10.3?country=GB&market=GB&productType=1&brand=BM&language=en&name=e0o1k0m9#MODEL_ENGINE

A quick look reveals the diesel engine is £1000 cheaper than the petrol stable mate and without checking I think falls in a lower tax band. Add in 20mpg better around town and I am sure you can forgive me for questioning your 20 odd thousand mile break even point.

You aren't comparing apple with apples though, BMW diesels are exceptionally economical, so to compare it to a VW doesn't work?

If a diesel was 2k over the equivalent petrol then yes I can appreciate you would take several tanks and miles to recoup the 2k

However as Mac touches upon above you have to look at the overall picture - the diesel may well command a 2k premium over the petrol second hand.

If you buy a car to worry about £2k difference in 3 years running costs, you deserve to be run over by it (that was what happened to Brian Harvey off of East 17 - he couldn't sleep at night wondering if his 2.0 dci Zetec Mondeo was going to be have cost him less than the 1.8 Zetec he was offered the day before, when he came to p/ex it 4 years later).

Buy what you want and can afford to run.

Personally, I'd never have another 4 pot diesel as long as there's a hole in my arse.

• Like 4

One things for sure, if I wasn't using it as a taxi, i'd certainly not be buying a diesel.

Petrol cars drive much nicer, forget about all the torque bollox, most petrol engines have turbos these days, so torque isn't an issue.

But most of all, it'd be worth 2k a year just so you don't have the dillema of whether to look like a twàt and mince about with plastic gloves, or have stinking hands every time you fill up.

It never ceases to amaze me how diesel drivers manage to spill the fúcking stuff all over the handle.

• Like 1

Because people are clumsy c unts. 

They spill it on the handle, they spill it on their hands, they spill it on the car and they spill it on the road.  How?  I still don't fecking know!

I imagine these are the same types of people who can't paint a wall without covering everything apart from the wall.  :rolleyes:

(that was what happened to Brian Harvey off of East 17 - he couldn't sleep at night wondering if his 2.0 dci Zetec Mondeo was going to be have cost him less than the 1.8 Zetec he was offered the day before, when he came to p/ex it 4 years later)

Genuine lol :roflmao:

Fixed that for you. :P

Yeah but I don't care if it's on the road, I don't ride bikes, I just hate the smell of diesel on my hands!

I'm sure it happens just as much on petrol pumps, I can't imagine there is much difference in stupidness between petrol and diesel drivers, I suspect it just evaporates off the petrol pump.

More a case of what we didn't go for. It is the S line Plus so comes with quite a bit anyway.

20" alloys in black

Hill hold

Parking advanced

B & O sound

Black pack

Electric memory seats with mirrors

Heated seats

Interior light pack

Open sky roof

Side window blinds

Tow bar (for bike rack)

Rear air bags (should be standard)