Any good deals going?

CarMad

There's no doubt that finding a well specced 520d or 525d even can be an issue. SE's are popular but lack the stance of an M Sport in my opinion, and larger alloys are rare.

We have the 40d engine in the X of course if I do feel like a bit more right pedal driving, but I'll also admit it isn't something that has happened.

The only times I've driven it is when MrsMe has asked me to drive when dropping her off somewhere and the X has been at the end of the drive (i.e. not having to swap cars around).

I do wonder if I've simply worn the performance bug out of me. My preference these days is very much for comfort and toys and even if I wasn't doing the high miles the simple fact is I don't get any leisure driving done and have other things to do with my time.

If the bug does bite then I'd be inclined to buy something as a summer car anyway and keep the others. The only car I'd like to get completely out of my system is a Noble. That's still the vehicle that has left the biggest impression on me from any I've driven.

But right now, even that has very limited appeal. I'd rather spend it on next years holiday in all honesty!

There's no doubt that finding a well specced 520d or 525d even can be an issue.

I concur!

Obviously my car experience is very different but from having been happy in the cockpit of the A4 I am enjoying the 520 very much and the increased power for me is more than enough for commuting needs and a bit of fun.

On the flip side, my Dad went to test drive a 320d M sport back in 2007. He drove it knowing it would be good and it is was, and it was good enough for what he needed from it. He then got talked in to taking the 330D out, and he bought one that very day. He never intended to buy from BMW at all, he purely went for a test drive, but they offered him such a good deal on a preregistered 56 plate that he couldn't resist. And to be honest, it's his 330D that made me want a 6 pot this time around. Other than my Q7 which doesn't count, I've only ever had 4 cylinder diesels and its just a different gravy.

HOWEVER, economy doesn't really matter to me. If it did I would have done more research and would certainly not have bought the 535d. Even now I wonder if I should have opted for a 530d. But I didn't, and I love my car, and it's twin pipes that 530d drivers envy! :)

Also having had a brand new 320d for a few days last month, I am VERY impressed with the 2.0 engine.

The 5GT is built on the 7 series chassis as underpinnings, hence it's so luxurious (air ride) and big inside.

The plan was to get 5 series owners to step up to the GT but it spectacularly backfired in that the buyer demographic is 7 series owners moving "down" to the GT.

There are 2 3GTs where I live and I quite like them. Potential replacement for the touring when it goes back next year, I'd prefer another touring but will have to see what the lease deals are.

Also having had a brand new 320d for a few days last month, I am VERY impressed with the 2.0 engine.

The 2.0 diesel combined with the 8 speed ZF auto is very, very good.

The one thing I regret is not getting a decent test in a 520d SE before I went with the 120d. (The 3, for me, is a bit 'no mans land' - it's not as practical as a 120, unless you get a 3GT or touring, and it's uncomfortably close to a 5 in price - yet the 5 comes with more kit as standard)

Well one step forwards and ... nothing.

Speak to dealer, e-mail details of mine over and then wait and erm wait. Stll haven't see the photos of the car and he hasn't got back to me with a value of mine. Maybe he doesn't want to sell cars afterall. :rolleyes:

It is the same story time and time again. 17 years in the game and I still don't understand the mentality of car sales people.

I've come to the conclusion that there is something going on behind the scenes of car dealerships that is both huge fun and immensely profitable, and that it is the real reason they exist - selling cars is actually just a sideline.  And a very dull and tiresome sideline at that.  

Any idea what it is?

Dealers are very reluctant to move on price at the moment due to lack of stock in the used market and also the fact that they are working on thinner than usual margins as auction / dealer only online auction prices are incredibly high.

Cars are selling well again now so that is another reason that they are unwilling to move much on price.

Dealers are very reluctant to move on price at the moment due to lack of stock in the used market and also the fact that they are working on thinner than usual margins as auction / dealer only online auction prices are incredibly high.

Cars are selling well again now so that is another reason that they are unwilling to move much on price.

I'd be happy to be given a price that they don't want to move on, I can't even get that!

• Like 1