2015 Safety Car restarts from grid!

bazza_g

Yup, FIA approved the changes so from next year race restarts after a safety car period will be done from the main grid - sounds like an ace idea to me +++

Autosport has learned that the proposal was approved by teams and the F1 commission at a meeting in Biggin Hill this week.

The idea is part of a raft of proposals to spice up the Formula One show following ever declining TV viewers. The current procedure with the leader setting the pace during a restart was deemed not to be spectacular enough and has recently given little to no position changes.

After the changes, the race would be stopped once the lapped cars have unlapped themselves, starting a procedure identical to the actual start of the race or after red flag situations. It is hoped that starts form the grid will offer more excitement to fans.

http://www.f1technical.net/news/19423?sid=c27218fbca1276561eb6cc437161bb6e

That's what they used to do before they introduced the Safety Car so it seems like a backward step, IMO.

The reason they introduced the Safety Car was to give the fans something to watch on the track while any incident is being cleared up. Unless there will be nothing on the track during the period plus you'll have all that procedural stuff prior tp the start which takes about 10 mins.

Edited by Cuprabob

Complete ridiculous.  Next they'll be suggesting or trying narrowing the car by 20cm, grooved tyres, single lap qualifying, double points races, having to run the same gear ratios for Monaco and Monza............

Oh, hang on a minute.....

Sometimes there are 3 to 4 safety cars per race. Can we really have 4 to 5 stationary restarts?

F1 really seems to be going in the wrong direction at the moment. Sparks, ffs. No free practice on a Friday next season, double points.

No wonder Newey has jacked it in. It's all becoming a bit shite.

The most dangerous part of any race is the start. That's why some forms of racing have rolling starts.

So effectively this rule is saying "drivers - we're gonna put you at additional risk as we think the punters might like that".

works for me :roflmao:

half seriously, it must have had the teams/drivers backing to get through - the drivers are not getting anything out of a rolling saftey car restart anymore, everyone's got it down to a fine art so I can't remember the last time I saw any overtaking on restart. From drivers point of view I guess yes its more risky but more chances to make up places is worth it?

From drivers point of view I guess yes its more risky but more chances to make up places is worth it?

Can't speak for F1, obviously, but yes I'd agree with that. The initial bit when all the cars are squashed together is a huge opportunity to get past - if you're good at getting off the line - but also a time when you really need your wits about you because, well, everyone else is so close to you.

I'm sure you all remember just how many first-lap incidents I've had; I've seen many others and managed to avoid them. Equally, I remember once taking 8 places in the first lap... which was nice.

• Like 1

Won't it just take too long to reset the grid each time? At least with the SC they can get racing again straight away. If they restart, will they then kill the engines, do a formation lap and then start?

Also could be a few Piquet/Singapore moments.

With good marshalling, and given that we all have a few years experience now, we can get a grid set up pretty quickly. We just drive to the marshalled place and stop on the nail, then we're good to go. 30 second board, 5 second board, lights, and off. The delays are usually from clearing up elsewhere on the track.

For F1, I'm imagining the main questions are whether they're going to stop them on the grid immediately and make them wait there while they clear the track, and whether they will be letting the teams out to the cars to help them while they're waiting. If they stop immediately and don't let people out, they may be restarting on tyres that have cooled. That could be fun*.

*expensive

And then we can watch while all the engines cook themselves and nobody moves when the lights go out... :P

That's kind of what I'm thinking. If they carry on circulating behind the safety car then this is kind of pointless. If they don't then there are all sorts of problems waiting to bite. It's almost as if they're just meddling in the racing to try and re-inject some of the spectacle that their previous meddling has taken out...

Oh...

Wait...

From the F1 Times:

Drivers speak out against standing restart rule

Several drivers spoke out against the idea whilst some of them were unaware of the rule change which is to go before the World Motor Sport Council next week. Many of them described it as unfair, including Romain Grosjean. "To be 100% honest I am not a big fan of that," he said. "When you are leading the race and you get a safety car, it is already quite hard and you lose all of your advantage."

Championship leader Nico Rosberg called it extreme and said it's a step too far. "Has it been proposed? Yes? That sounds very extreme. I understand that the start is one of the most exciting times for the fans, but that sounds very extreme so I hope it is not going to be done, because that is going too far with things."

His team-mate Lewis Hamilton was also unaware when asked, but said he'd prefer it if the drivers themselves were involved in rule change decisions.

Meanwhile Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo said it was "artificial" and could potentially penalise a driver if they have a bad start through no fault of their own. "I think if you are leading the race by 10 seconds, you lose your advantage that you have built up, but at least you keep your position," he said. "But you still do lose something. "If it goes to a standing start, the chance of having not a great start is pretty high, so you could go from first to even fourth. It is just a bit too much of a disadvantage basically for someone who obviously had the lead in the first place."