Engine noise, any ideas

evergoodstudios

I do know there were problems with the pulleys for the belts on MkV models, and maybe that is a good place to start. The weird squark sounds like something possibly snatching.catching/rubbing.

The engines are chain driven, so should be ok unless very high mileage (chain stretches).

Edited by Rachel

Yeah it's the squeak sound just when the engine starts. I've only just picked up this MkV after missing my old MkIv so just going over it initially. It's only done 27K and all checks out apart from this noise. There's also what sounds like a slight bearing noise coming from same area when running so maybe it is the pulleys like you say.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I've replaced the tensioner and v-pulley belt. So

It wasn't that, I'm inclined to think it's the starter so may take it out and clean it. However I have another noise (not having much luck here) which only occurs when the car is hot and sounds like it's coming from the water pump. When I inspected the pulley it seems fine with no play etc. also checked the other two idler pulleys which both seem fine. Alternator is ok too. I'm out of ideas.

I did find a YouTube video which has the exact same symptom albeit more frequent;

Yeah it's a new belt and tensioner, plus when I took the old tensioner off there was no real difference between them. I read on vwvortex that the water pump could be faulty, as there's a plastic piece on the inside that wears down and then causes the pump pulley to rub. Think I may have to resort to a garage with this one, think I've narrowed down to the water pump location. Such an elusive noise!

Have you tried careful/accurate application/squirst of water to help narrow it down.

May sound strange, but it works every time I have tried.

Simply squirt potential offenders with water as accurately as possible & if the noise goes briefly when wet you have found the culprit.

Obviously this only works on bearings/belts/pulleys etc that you can get your squirt of water to hit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let anyone know who may have this problem now or in the future. It is now fixed and it was the water pump.

There were no other indications that it was failing. Even moving the pump by hand with the belt off revealed no play or restrictive movement. But for the sake of £35 for a new part it was a no brainer for me.

• Like 1

Just to let anyone know who may have this problem now or in the future. It is now fixed and it was the water pump.

There were no other indications that it was failing. Even moving the pump by hand with the belt off revealed no play or restrictive movement. But for the sake of £35 for a new part it was a no brainer for me.

Good news. Add shouting me a cold one to the cost should we meet. :P

Haha yeah rachel will do.

I found out what it was by meticulously listening with a bar to my ear and putting the other end on each item like a stethoscope. To be honest after checking everything else that's all that was left. It now sounds so quiet when ticking over which the neighbours now appreciate, as the aircon pump was also faulty so had that done.

Thanks all for the help and my sanity!