Can't diagnose a network fault

patently

OK, I need help.  Mrs P's Win7 PC won't talk to the Internet and I can't make it. 

It's connecting OK to the router; I can log into the router and see it as a connected device.  I can ping the router and get a decent response time, if not fantastic.   The router is OK - every other device in the house has Internet access. 

Windows reports that the connection is fine and the "Network & Sharing Centre" shows a pretty map with her PC, the router, and the Internet all connected.

Firefox just does nothing when you ask it connect. 

Chrome reports "Unable to connect to the proxy server" which is odd as we don't have one and I didn't configure it to use one.  Going into the Internet options, the LAN settings have a tick against "use a proxy server" which she swears she didn't put there.  De-select the proxy server and you get "This webpage is not available" instead (ERR_FAILED is the error code).  Re-boot the PC and the proxy server is ticked again.... :uhoh:

MacAfee scan says no problems.

AVG2014 says no problems... but did flag up a warning to her earlier this evening about malware.  She can't remember what it was and didn't tell me at the time, and I can't see any mention of it in AVG's reports so can't confirm what it was.  I've looked at AVG's firewall option (to see if that's the problem), but it reports that "Your Internet connection is offline or blocked".

Windows firewall is on, but is not set to "block all".  Google Chrome is allowed through. 

So I'm stumped.  All suggestions welcome +++

Are you running Windows f/wall and AVG f/wall?

I'd go with one or t'other.

Turn the f/wall(s) off just to eliminate them but the proxy setting sounds the biggest suspect. If it's trying to put everything via a non-existent proxy server it won't like it.

Can you not force it to have no proxy settings?

I think this is a browser related issue where they're sharing common settings and you need to change them running permissions that will go beyond browser level. The proxy server comment is the one that matters (in my opinion).

The easiest way to find out is to try a sequence of things in Internet Explorer.

Find the Internet Explorer icon and right click on it (don't open it). From the menu that appears, select "Run as Administrator".

A box will open up to ask if you want this application to make changes to your computer. Select Yes.

Internet Explorer will open and you need to select Tools from the main menu, then Internet Options.

Select the Connections tab.

Then LAN Settings.

Now, this is where you should remove the tick from Use Proxy Server and also make sure you tick the box that says "Automatically detect settings".

Click OK, and exit out of Internet Explorer.

Reboot the machine. I suspect you might find you can now connect to the internet. Hopefully. Worth a shot,

P.s. Try IE first after rebooting. If it works but FF and Chrome don't, do the same thing in them (Run as administrator) and reboot again.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe
  • Like 1

Hmmm... ok, it's working again this morning.  Logged in to run IE as supervisor and the "proxy" box wasn't checked any more.  And the browser was working happily. 

Obviously that's all 100% down to my efforts, with the useful and able assistance of TSN... +++

Or that's what Mrs P will be told, anyway ;)

• Like 1

No, wait, I spoke too soon.  After a reboot, the problem is back.

It's weird; run IE as Admin, go to settings, tick autodetect and untick the proxy, click OK, go straight back into LAN settings, and the proxy is ticked again and autodetect is unticked :(

I'm wondering if it is infected with something?

OK, have gone in as Admin and manually removed all traces of the 127.0.0.1 proxy, saved, rebooted, and now all seems fine.  All users can see teh web and carry on seeing it after logging out/in.

Time to draw a cautious breath and let her back onto it albeit with warnings that I want to hear about any anomalous behaviour. 

Thanks to everyone that helped, much appreciated.  Special thanks to Mac for asking the question as to where the proxy was pointing, which set me down what seems to have been the right track.

Fingers are crossed.