Evolution of the Audi TT - design genius or the same old recycled tat?

Mook

Saw Perry McCarthy at Le Mans, around the time he lost the Stig gig. A lot to say for himself and very funny. His book is worth a read. Not sure I'd take everything he says as gospel though... :P

I'd agree with that. He's a mate of a mate and hence came to be the dinner speaker on a weekend motobike thang. He was taking credit for an awful lot of things!

Anyone want the book? I can't see me reading it again.

I met up with the Stig (Perry McCarthy) years ago and was having a chat about Clarkson. It was according to him, he that showed Clarkson how to drive quattro based cars. He was employed as a racing driver by Audi at the time so it was there way in. He was kind of claiming credit for turning around Clarkson's views on them. Previously in all the videos of him driving quattro cars you could see him ploughing into beds too fast and then getting understeer etc. McCarthy managed to convince him how to adapt his driving (in the same way you do for RWD or FWD etc) to suit the car's setup. It was around this time that Clarkson started doing some more positive reviews e.g. B7 RS4 etc.

Maybe I'm not as shocked as others may be that he has Audi's in his house.

Way back in 1989-90 Clarkson was on record as saying Audi made the best cars and he also put forward the quattro 20V as PCOTY (which it won as I recall). Audi was great then the anti-BMW with some great ad campaigns. They have made some boring cars since as they explore every niche and some of them are, in my opinion, bad. However some in the range are really very good and they are generally always nice places to sit.  I have had more Audis than any other make and I do always shop around and buy different from time to time.

The Ur-Quattro is a funny one. Always wanted one and then finally had the chance to hoon one for three days on one of Duisberg's 18-30 jollies.

I was, in one word, disappointed. Soft, chocolate brakes, and not that fast. Certainly not as fast as I remember them being when I got a ride in one eons ago.

I'll have one one day, but it'll have to be, ahem, modified...

The Ur-Quattro is a funny one. Always wanted one and then finally had the chance to hoon one for three days on one of Duisberg's 18-30 jollies.

I was, in one word, disappointed. Soft, chocolate brakes, and not that fast. Certainly not as fast as I remember them being when I got a ride in one eons ago.

That's technology for you.  It moves on.

But all that can be forgiven for how it looked powering up the snake pass, past an HGV.

Admittedly you couldn't see that, but we could, and it looked epic.

What you want is the 20v Turbo engine, with a bit of modding, it's capable of big BHP without too much trouble, brakes and suspension are easy to sort.

I'd buy one sooner rather than later if I were you, values are already on the up!

• Like 1

I loved the 90 Q 20v and I'd love to drive one now to see how it feels to how it did then!

The 90 20V is probably the one car I have fondest memories of and I have owned some serious metal since. At the time it was just about perfect. Last year my uncle died and he owned a very low mileage Audi Coupe of the same era. Oh how I wish it were an S2 but it was the lowest of the range 2.0 and with no extras other than a sunroof. I was charged with selling it and I got a fresh MOT and used it for a few weeks to shake it down. It was bloody brilliant! I had forgotten how good proper steering was before it went all electric. I sold it with some sadness. If it were any 5 cylinder variant and quattro I would have kept it for sure.

• Like 2