BMW New vs Used

CarMad

No the 535 is a D, 313bhp and a rather large 630Nm of torque, it lists at 46mpg, mine was 42mpg when I got it so if its the same as mine is today and average of 38.5ish then I will be happy, it wasn't a move for greater economy. 

Mind you all that is in Eco Pro that my car doesn't have and I doubt it will be out of comfort very much let along go into sport. A 5 GT can be hustled when you want to, but in reality it likes a smooth and steady approach but it still feels like a BMW to drive. 

I have a friend with a 335d and he's not a fast driver.  He gets 28-29 mpg.

The X6 40d (basically a 30d with two turbos) used to get 26-27 mpg.

Anyway, to be perfectly honest the 335d engine is a peach and it isn't a car you buy with economy in mind.  That is the realm of the 20d, 25d and 30d.  You buy the 335d to have lots and lots and lots and lots of fun.  I'm sure CarMad will! +++

Shush now leave me in my bubble of high 30mpgs, I'm sure it will be fine. :coffee:

To be fair most of my driving gives me very little opportunity to press the loud pedal these days with traffic being silly. Its rare I get to floor the throttle that often in the 530d let along the new one. I will post back my findings and you can all laugh at me as to how bad it is but I'm sure I can counter with the fun factor. :lol:

The kids will love getting pressed back in the seats at least. When it snows the car will be 'parked'!

1 hour ago, NewNiceMrMe said:

I have a friend with a 335d and he's not a fast driver.  He gets 28-29 mpg.

If his is the latest face lift 313hp model he must drive like an absolute penis. 

In a genuine mixture of driving my overall average is so far is 40mpg (give or take a few tenths). I get far better than 28-29mpg in the rush hour crawl in and out of Manchester. 

See and mine is only a little bigger than yours, it will be almost identical. :uhoh:

Joking apart I can easily see a 3 being driven far harder than my 5 GT most of the time as its not really a back road blaster of a machine lets be honest. So I can see 40mpg average as being achievable and I don't drive like miss daisy. 

2 hours ago, garcon magnifique said:

If his is the latest face lift 313hp model he must drive like an absolute penis. 

In a genuine mixture of driving my overall average is so far is 40mpg (give or take a few tenths). I get far better than 28-29mpg in the rush hour crawl in and out of Manchester. 

13 plate?  It isn't that he drives like a dick, but he does spend a considerable amount of time in heavy City traffic - start/stop stuff.

2 hours ago, CarMad said:

When it snows the car will be 'parked'!

Why?  You won't need to.  I never allowed snow getting in the way of the M3(s) or 645, or Z4.  They all negotiate it without issue - even on the Isle of Skye as Garcon will testify to.

Anyway, you always chuck a set of winter tyres on if you wanted extra security. 

We rarely get enough snow or ice for it to be an issue to any driver unless they're driving like a cock or simply not respecting the weather conditions.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NewNiceMrMe said:

Why?  You won't need to.  I never allowed snow getting in the way of the M3(s) or 645, or Z4.  They all negotiate it without issue - even on the Isle of Skye as Garcon will testify to.

Anyway, you always chuck a set of winter tyres on if you wanted extra security. 

We rarely get enough snow or ice for it to be an issue to any driver unless they're driving like a cock or simply not respecting the weather conditions.

I know I was joking, I've never not gone out because of the snow and certainly since I had the GT its never been left at home due to it. I was only commenting on the fact that it won't be the easiest thing to drive in heavy snow either. 

Mind you I've still had the scariest time in snow in an Audi Quattro I had in the past that had awful brakes and the extra weight made it harder and not easier to drive in those conditions. 

• Like 1

Picked it up with my little boy and its fab. 

Its quicker, the engine is a good bit smoother and quieter it also seems more refined everywhere and it even rides better by a good margin as well. The Head Up Display is good but weird to see it seemingly floating ahead of the car takes a bit of getting used to I keep looking at the dials but the list of radio stations / phone no.s etc. is listing in the middle of the screen or should I say floating past the end of the bonnet. :blink:

Oh and its not Carbon Black, its Imperial Blue which is the special Xirillic paint apparently, its lovely and sparkly in the sun it has a real depth do it. 

MPG on the way back was 39.2 and considering 20 minutes of that was queuing out of Preston in rush hour I'm pretty impressed with that, but then not much opportunity to put my foot down either. 

IMG_6860.JPG

• Like 9

The 5 GT has bags of kit as standard, to make a 3 GT the same would have needed thousands even to get it to the standard car spec. 

This has the HUD, multi function dash so thats a full LCD screen that changes depending on the mode the car is in, it reads the traffic signs as well thats another option and projects that in the HUD and on the dash which is quite cool. Other stuff they nearly all have, read camera, privacy glass, enhanced bluetooth etc. The Sat-Nav is a good step up as well and can be updated more easily as well. 

The colour is even better than I remembered it, it will be more of a pain to keep clean than the silver one was but will looks loads better when it is. 

On 5 November 2016 at 9:32 PM, CarMad said:

New car purchased. 

And its .... another 5 GT

A Carbon Black 2016 535 GT, Ivory Interior and plenty of toys, MFD, Head up display etc. etc. 

Perfect for winter. :rolleyes::roflmao:

TSN goes full circle. When I first found this site 12 years ago it was a little anal about all things cars. 

Now people are buying new cars and having them taken through car washes and purchasing cars without knowing what actual colour they are. 

I've got to say, I prefer the forum the way it is now. 

2% Anal car sh1t (looking at you IanC)

98% bollox

Lovely car CarMad, keep on top of it because I heard those black urrr blue cars get dirty quickly. 

Edited by billy2shots
  • Like 3

The blue of that shade is a fabulous colour for the GT.  I think it works on the 5 series and also, in a slight variant of it, on the new 7 series.  Yet if you try it in a 3, 2 or 1 series, it doesn't quite have the same impact.  I think the size of the car has a lot to do with it.

My 5 is Jet Black and I'm very pleased with the choice even 3.5 years on.  A complete pig to keep clean and free of scratches of course. :roflmao: