[Audi A3/S3] Hmm, another Mod dilema....

Drillslinger

What do y'all think, if I wait til payday (Thursday) I'll have just over $400 to spend, now, I was about to order a B&M shifter, and then maybe a Samco Boost Kit after payday, BUT, now I'm wondering if I shouldn't hold off on the B&M and get the Samco Boost kit WITH the Samco Intake hose confused.gif What do you think I'd get more out of? The short shifter, or the full hoses set? I've already got the Oettinger Turbo Intake pipe, and THAT's why I've held off on the Samco so far smashfreakB.gif

Ideas? FIREdevil.gif

Thx jump.gifbeerchug.gif

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ewan, TBH I'm going without a few things here grin.gif Plus I have the (Dare I say...) Luxury of a 2 income household grin.gif

Floyd, sorta..... the shortshift is just that, but also better engineered, so brings with it a much more precise shift (From what I've read/heard) and the hoses, MAYBE a hp or so, they're mainly for smoother flow throughout.

Of course, I've also just thought that if I can wait yet another pay period, I might be able to stretch out for an Eibach Pro-System suspension FIREdevil.gif only problem with THAT is, while I may be able to fit it myself (Emphasis on MAY) then I'd still need an alignment, which would require the Frau's knowledge crazy.gif And SHE wasn't even happy when I managed to get the S3 suspension for €65 smashfreakB.gifUHOH7.GIF

jump.gifbeerchug.gif

Hmmmm, i know your dilema!

I'm wondering whether the cost will really be worth it. i can understand the shortshift cos i dont really like the audi box so any improvement will be well spent imo. but the hoses seem more cosmetic than anything else. bearing in mind that you only ever open the bonnet (hood beerchug.gif) when the car goes wrong, i cant see the point.

Maybe if these Pulleys work out, I might find myself looking in another direction crazy.gif

Anyone know about how much labor would be for a flywheel/clutch replacement?? FIREdevil.gif ECS has a Stage 1 kit with the following:

Lighter OEM Steel flywheel, only 14lbs versus 22 lbs of the stock 1.8T. This is not a lightened modified OEM flywheel like others.

20-30% more clamping force than stock clutch!

Faster spool-ups & more HP's!

Kit uses OEM Sachs VR6 Clutch pieces

Kit is good up to 200-250 wheel Horsepower & up to approx 275lbs of wheel torque

Excellent pedal feel, pedal retains OEM type feel

Kit includes the following parts:

Lightweight steel OEM flywheel

Sachs cluch pressure plate

Sachs clutch disc

Sach OEM throw out bearing

OEM throw out bearing

OEM flywheel bolts

For $400 smirk.gif But I'm thinking it'd be another $400 just for labor confused.gifsmashfreakB.gif

But don't ya think I'd have a fairly quick revving 1.8T with both lightweight pulleys AND flywheel FIREdevil.gif

jump.gif

On a practical note I'm with Floyd on the Shortshift, you feel that, so it's rewarding. The hoses are IMO mainly cosmetic.

As for flywheels & clutches, why not do that when y'r clutch needs changing anyways? Better economy, and... explicable to the Frau. wink.gif

beerchug.gif

Yeah, another good point grin.gif Prolly do it that way anyway, but doesn't satisfy my Mod "Itch" now smashfreakB.gif

Unfortunately, I'm running out of engine mod ideas suicide.gif SHORT of a turbo upgrade that is wink.gif

I think I'll just get the B&M, (Combined with the TT linkage should be Suh-Weet FIREdevil.gif) and then await possible suspension change. After all, I've put 100k kms on the S3 suspension now, and it had at least 25k on it when I got it UHOH7.GIFwink.gif

jump.gifbeerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

dude iirc....with smaco hoses...you do not gain in peak power but you do however get a slight increase in torque as much as 10 lb-ft....and they do brighten things up!..im sure they'll match denim blau really well!!! grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you KNOW IT!! grin.gifFIREdevil.gif

I even know a guy who can get me paint at cost grin.gif Plan is eventually to get the Samco Blue Kit and have both engine covers painted Denim to match jump.gif

beerchug.gif

Drill - I've recently done some asking about regarding the ECS clutch upgrade. To be honest I decided against it. The lighter flywheel sounds a good idea on paper. Allowing the engine to spin up a lot quicker due to less mass / inertia etc. However as people have pointed out, it also allows the revs to drop off quicker, as there is less inertia to keep the engine revving, meaning lightning gear changes all the time, (maybe a ok with the shortshifter eh! smirk.gif ) .

Others have mentioned that it reduces torque also. However I know that SimonMTM is happy with his setup.

I suppose its about what you want out of the car. If you want an all out performer youre going to have to give up a bit of drivability I suppose. Personally I dont drive on the limit all of the time, and I think it would have just pi**ed me off, making the car very jerky.

I ended up going for a MTM clutch from QST and a new OEM Dual mass flywheel. (Getting fitted on April 19th review to follow.)

Re- The Blue Samco's I've got a set sat in the garage waiting to be fitted, (I've had to work every weekend since I got them mad.gif ).

I've already painted the engine covers so it should look sweet when theyre fitted also. grin.gif

I'll post up some pics for you when I've fitted them.

Cool, definately like to see the pics when you get them grin.gif

As for the clutch, ECS has 2 different flywheels, a 7lb Alu one, and the 14lb steel. I figured the 7 pounder would cause some serious "Driveability" issues, but would've thought the 14lb flywheel would be a good compromise. Lighter, but not so much to cause such an "Idle" issue (No Pun intended grin.gif)

jump.gifbeerchug.gif

Oh, and I've pretty much decided on the short shifter FIREdevil.gif Like I said before, the B&M (advertised to shorted throw by up to 40%) combined with the TT linkage (which shortened throw by approx. 20%) should give me a VERY nice gear change FIREdevil.gif

Anybody know if you can get different inserts for the B&M shift knob? Would LOVE one that had the Audi rings as opposed to the B&M logo cool.gif

jump.gifbeerchug.gif

Ah iamwithstupid.gif I never noticed the steel one. Could be a decent compromise. Again though it all depends on what your after. I do too many town, (changing gear every two minutes), miles to compromise too much with the gear change. Thats why I stayed with the stock flywheel in the end and opted for the MTM clutch plate to give me the extra confidence in it when pushing on a bit, or doing a FIREdevil.gif from the traffic lights. ECLIPSe.gif

Ahh, see, I drive about 95% Autobahn, and when I DO drive the backroads, it's shall we say, as spirited as the Frau will allow smashfreakB.gifgrin.gif

But seriously, I figure, due to costs involved, the flywheel/clutch are a ways off still. Prolly, as Sven said, not til the std parts start to fail. Although I've read that the lightweight Pulleys do the same thing as a lightweight flywheel, only on a smaller scale, so I'm anxious to get these pulleys in to see if they make much of a difference. EuroTuner mag put Unorthodox Racing pulleys on an S4 and on the 2nd startup it showed a 5hp increase across the whole rev scale grin.gif So I'd LOVE similar results jump.gif

Also, once the pulleys are installed, I think I'll try and concentrate on getting my exhaust sorted. If fitting the S3 exhaust I have becomes too much of a pain, I might just try to sell it and get a SuperSprint setup instead, but I'd hate to give up on the S3 exhaust. I only paid €125 for the damned thing grin.gif So cost-wise, even if it takes €300 to get it fitted, I've essentially still saved money smashfreakB.gif

Oh well, guess I'll surf ECS to see if they've got anything interesting to order along with the B&M shifter grin.gif (Wish I had 16" Winter rims, then I'd be eyeballing the brake kits cool.gif)

jump.gifbeerchug.gif

I'd say yes to getting it aligned both times, just to be on the safe side, as youre esentially removing parts of the suspension. I've took many a shocker assembly off on various cars and you never get them back in exactly the same place.

I've been in a dilema for a few months now about what mods to do next, but I've finally made up my mind now. Albeit after my hand was forced by some offers I couldnt refuse.

I'm going to do the following all in one hit when all of the parts arrive.

Fit the MTM clutch and new DM flywheel (the old ones juddering and doing my head in smashfreakB.gif)

Fit a Forge dog mount

Fit some Miltek adjustable rear tie bars

Fit my new Samco hoses (I may do this before if I have time)

Fit my Brembo GT Brake kit

Followed by a 4 wheel alignment.

Boy am I going to be skint. yelrotflmao.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Ben, do you HONESTLY think I hadn't REALLY wished my Intake Manifold went the other way Hey, that is an issue but why not get the TT/S3 setup?

Seriously though, why not get a used K04? Can't be much more than a couple of hundred. Then take another trip to Oettinger and pay them labour only to map the car for the turbo. If you can fit the turbo yourself then you're laughing.

Hope all is cool matey grin.gif

Ben

Considered getting a K04 on my own, but there are 2 main issues I've come across on that one. First, Oettinger only offers a K04 remap with THEIR K04 upgrade, and I've asked about having my current remap "Tweaked" to adjust, and was told it'd cost the same as a full remap (They WERE kind enough to offer me a €100 discount since I was already a customer smashfreakB.gif) Not a bad deal really, but totals about €3000 and that's a bit steep ooo.gif Also, I've yet to CONFIRM whether or not I've currently got a K03 or a K03S. I'm thinking that my engine code is a go-between where they started using VVT, but still only K03's. But I've got to get the number off of my turbo to do that, and wouldn't you know, the number sits RIGHT BEHIND the bend in the turbo intake pipe suicide.gif

Of course, with a K04 I'm also looking at a larger exhaust manifold, as IIRC even the K03S uses the same exhaust side, just different intake sides/internals smashfreakB.gif

See what I mean about making up my mind slap.gifyelrotflmao.gif

jump.gifbeerchug.gif