[Audi A3/S3] Is Quattro much better than 1.8T Sport?

benafia

OK, maybe this is a silly question blush.gif But if you've seen my Quattro Accident post you'll know I'm back to looking for another A3. And very frustrating it is... I was really falling in love with the Quattro (X-reg). Trouble is, there's a lot more of the 1.8T Sport around. If you've driven both, do you think I'd be dissapointed?

cheers

MrBen

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only been driving it a week, so not really pushed it yet. But the traction when flooring it from a standing start is magnificent. And 'like it's on rails' doesn't do the cornering justice - phenomenal!

Also my partner drives on icy roads home from night shifts in the winter and has come a cropper before... luckily in a big old Saab. But her safety is another reason the 4wd appeals.

MrBen

Had the S3 for nearly 3½ years and 70k miles from new so it was time for a change. Also a change in jobs meant I was going to be doing more commuter mileage so wanted something economical but still reliable.

I do miss my S3 (265Bhp, RSTT's and Porker brakes) now and then, but most of my driving is now stop start mway frown.gif

Point to note is that with the quattro the servicing will be more expensive with the Haldex oil every 20k IIRC, usually about £50-£100 more depending on stealer. Small price to pay for the additional joy you'll get from it though. Oh and the tank is bigger on the Quattro's too 60 litre instead of 55.

Never know what I may get next sekret.gif

A colleague at work was deciding between the two recently. I advised against the quattro!! shocked.gif

She will use to to and from work and for the occasional long journey. She's not a petrol head and won't be throwing it around. She ended up getting a better 1.8T Sport than she could have got a quattro, it uses less fuel, will be cheaper to maintain and it day to day use it will be quicker.

At the same time I wouldn't be without my quattro. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it depends on your requirements.

Only you know how much ultimate grip, handling, traffic light GPs etc factor in your requirements for a new car.

Agreed - I was going to get quattro originally on my A4 but it knocked the mpg and performance down a few notches. With a 1.9TDi engine I thought it would be a bit pointless going for quattro, however with a more powerful engine I can certainly see the benefits.

I spent the quattro cash on more gadgets/options instead smile.gif

Interesting point - if you measure performance in a point-to-point way then yes, you'll be shedding a couple of tenths here and there.

But factor in the confidence you get, the ability to deploy full power 99.5% of the time in any conditions and I'd say quattro is a lot faster in real life.

Or do people disagree?

Not against quattro at all. It felt good in the A4 but it did seem to add a lot of weight to the car and as a result never felt very light on its feet and certainly harmed the braking performance a lot IMO.

Its one thing getting a car moving on things like ice and snow or even in rain a different story trying to stop it.

[ QUOTE ]

Its one thing getting a car moving on things like ice and snow or even in rain a different story trying to stop it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, the brakes in my A3 are the best i ever had - they are sharp, responsive and can stop it on a pin head.

They made my last car (325ci Sport) feel like a BMX!

My S3 had an interesting habit of connecting drive to the back when pressing on mid way round a wet roundabout , which could make it oversteer . shocked.gif This is the last thing I expected although it was near the limit when the haldex added the rear axle. I presume the 1.8T uses the same 4wd so could be affected similarly.

The traction off the line was excellent however , it almost never spun a wheel. grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

My S3 had an interesting habit of connecting drive to the back when pressing on mid way round a wet roundabout

[/ QUOTE ]

It will do - rear wheels kick in if a) the fronts are spinning, b) you floor it, or c) you change the throttle position when cornering

[ QUOTE ]

The traction off the line was excellent however , it almost never spun a wheel. grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Then either the ESP is still on or you're simply not trying hard enough wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

It will do - rear wheels kick in if a) the fronts are spinning, b) you floor it, or c) you change the throttle position when cornering

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure? My understanding was that with Haldex, it only moved power to the rear when it detected a difference in rotation speed i.e. generally when the fronts are starting to spin up. If it did it based on when "you floor it" then you'd have Haldex activated when you don't need it meaning effectively some power loss.