Climate Control Stuck in ECON mode

hashluck

Reckon it'll definately be the air con (IIRC all pressing ECON does is inhibit the air con portion of the climate control system). Probably got a leak and de-gassed.

Apparently you can get the system to display fault codes. Saw a post on it one day, may have been on the Audi technical area. Might be worth a search if you fancy investigating before a trip to the dealer. 169144-ok.gif

CM

• 1 year later...

Exactly the same thing happened in my A3 last week. Had a quick scan through the user operation technical jargon instruction booklet type thingy grin.gif and although I can't for the life of me remember exactly what it said it had something to do with outside temperature being below 5 degrees...or something along those lines.

Anyway the upshot was once it got a little warmer outside I was able to turn ECON mode off.

I appreciate that this information is probably completely worthless but just my ten penneth! grin.gif

Hmm doesn't sound right. The manual will state something like below 5 degrees the compressor will not turn on BUT you should still have FULL control over the climate. I would keep an eye on this as sounds like same fault as mine had and they did replace something under warranty at the time. Of course A3 may be different?

[ QUOTE ]

My Climate Control (02 Cab) is stuck in ECON mode. Hitting the ECON or AUTO buttons has no effect. I assume the air-con unit has turned itself off due to some kind of fault. Anyone else ever experienced this?

[/ QUOTE ]

My 03 cab did exactly the same......cliamte system needed regassing from memory. crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hmm doesn't sound right. The manual will state something like below 5 degrees the compressor will not turn on BUT you should still have FULL control over the climate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. You can't have full control if you have no A/C!! The heater will just work like a normal car if you lose A/C. ECON is simply A/C off and compressor not engaged (hence ECONomy ) So if you can't switch out of ECON then there must be a A/C problem - Compressor - Low gas pressure - Electrical..... confused.gif

I always drive the car in ECON mode when I don't need A/C - like winter (every little helps). TBH Climate control in most cars is just too much P****** about - I'd prefer 3 knobs and an A/C button! tongue.gif

Hope you get it sorted out ok 169144-ok.gif

BUB beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]I disagree. You can't have full control if you have no A/C!! The heater will just work like a normal car if you lose A/C. ECON is simply A/C off and compressor not engaged (hence ECONomy ) So if you can't switch out of ECON then there must be a A/C problem - Compressor - Low gas pressure - Electrical..... confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We agree! My point was that even though the compressor may not switch on below a certain external temperature, you should still be able to leave the ACC in 'Auto' mode without the 'Econ' button being stuck on. I guess in Auto the system decides for itself if the compressor should be on wherea in Econ you are deciding manually.

(btw. I no longer have the problem, this was on my old car ages ago, old topic ressurected)

I leave mine in Auto all the time for 2 reasons.

i) It stops the car steaming uo

ii) You should use the air-con at least once a week in the winter to stop the seals drying out.

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

We agree! My point was that even though the compressor may not switch on below a certain external temperature, you should still be able to leave the ACC in 'Auto' mode without the 'Econ' button being stuck on. I guess in Auto the system decides for itself if the compressor should be on wherea in Econ you are deciding manually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe but ECON= No A/C. No A/C= No auto even if it's heat you need. Like I said give me 3 knobs and an A/C button anyday!

[ QUOTE ]

I leave mine in Auto all the time for 2 reasons.

i) It stops the car steaming uo

ii) You should use the air-con at least once a week in the winter to stop the seals drying out.

beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't really get misting in my car but if I do then it's A/C on and hit the Re-Circ button! 169144-ok.gif

Yes that's a good call and something that I do 169144-ok.gif ( just like the central heating at home in summer) wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

(btw. I no longer have the problem, this was on my old car ages ago, old topic ressurected)

[/ QUOTE ]

DOH!! - funny almost a year to the day. What was the problem then?

BUB beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Why does that happen? Do diesel drivers get cold easier???? confused.gifUHOH7.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

Also with a diesel you can set your heater to come on in the morning 10minutes before you get in the car or with a remote that will start it from 600 metres away.

[ QUOTE ]

Auxiliary ventilation/auxiliary heater

Auxiliary ventilation and heating provide extra comfort throughout the year. A timer or remote control (range up to 600 metres) can activate the system. The heating period is about one hour. In the summer the same device ventilates the parked car effectively and provides additional comfort in the first few minutes after driving off. The timer automatically turns the auxiliary ventilation/heater on at the desired time. In winter, for example, this always assures that the vehicle interior will always be pleasantly warm before the journey starts.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Why does that happen? Do diesel drivers get cold easier???? confused.gifUHOH7.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

Also with a diesel you can set your heater to come on in the morning 10minutes before you get in the car or with a remote that will start it from 600 metres away.

[ QUOTE ]

Auxiliary ventilation/auxiliary heater

Auxiliary ventilation and heating provide extra comfort throughout the year. A timer or remote control (range up to 600 metres) can activate the system. The heating period is about one hour. In the summer the same device ventilates the parked car effectively and provides additional comfort in the first few minutes after driving off. The timer automatically turns the auxiliary ventilation/heater on at the desired time. In winter, for example, this always assures that the vehicle interior will always be pleasantly warm before the journey starts.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shame my A4 doesn't do that. mad.gif