mopping ?

Tomk

anyone know how to do this ? ive got a couple of pannels that this could be done to, try and bring it back up better than a polish, any ideas of products to use etc ? i dont want to pay a paint shop £££££ to do it when for the same money i can buy the gear myself, seen it done on the tv several times and looks the same as polishing,

Hmm.. I can't remember where we got ours. The old man bought it back in the days when we were doing bodyshop stuff. You could alyways try your local paintshop.. see if they can sort you one, or put you onto supplier. One thing I can say about using the mop though, is be very careful. If you don't keep the mop wet for instance, you can completely trash your paintwork.

Ahhhhhhhh!

I have kept out of this so far because I knew that if I did try and disuade you from this idea, the more synical members of this forum would think that I was just trying to safeguard trade secrets.

But I can hold my tongue no longer.

Please please please be carefull and think twice before you get into this.

In America companies like Megs sell all this stuff (tame stuff)and it has caused a boom in the detailing industry as disapointed enthusiasts have to pay professionals a tidy fortune to put right their bumbed paintwork.

There are lots of different elements to this. First is the machine, some are very very tame orbital jobs, then you have the medium rotaries and then the monsters. Speed plays a big part, and size also effects the speed of the outside of a rotary mop.

Next you have the pads... these actually do most of the work. They range from sponges which are softer than the ones you use in your bathroom, to hard foam and wool mops.

Next you have the polishes and compounds, these range from silky smooth to liquid sandpaper.

You have to get the combination right... I trust the experience of people who do nothing else but mopping day in and day out to tell our company what combinations to use.

In march we have a guy comming over from Sweden for two weeks to teach us a new buffing system called Allpad (as I said, its the pads that do most of the work). Mopping experts are at the pinicle of the valeting game, it's the most difficult skill to master.

Now, we don't let novice valeters loose with a mop without quite a bit of supervised training. They are started off with single speed twin headed orbital machines, with a light polish and the softest pads. You could polish a car all day long with this with minimal risk of damage, but there is always a risk...

A grinding machine is too fast for mopping. You need a variable speed so you can turn it down.

A wool mop is about as harsh as it gets. They generate heat which in expert hands can be used to fill light scratches... in novice hands on a cheap grinder, the thing could drag you all the way down the driveway!

On top of this, G3 is a compound which has a fair bit of cut to it and not really suitable for wool mops. For wool mops you need a polish which works well with the heat, and it needs to be done at the right speed... we don't use them at all, ever. Wool mops are far too dangerous and there are slower but less risky methods to mop a car.

Chances are you would go right through the paintwork, burn it, and it's a sure bet you would leave swirl marks with the kit you describe.

If you seriously want to do this, get the right gear and get tuition.

If you have an old banger, then fair enough, have a go, but if your car is your pride and joy...

Put it this way, I have been away and had one weeks training on mopping cars, but when I had my car mopped last year, I got somebody else to do it.

If you haven't seen it already, please read this article by Superior shine in California:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...mp;pagenumber=1

You can clearly see the mess a dealership made of mopping a car... we had a similar experience with a BMW dealership last month.

A very valuable insight, thank you. Don't hold back stuff like that in future!

BTW, my car needs some TLC. I have 2 or 3 areas with very minor car park rubs and scuffs (thank you, fellow road using ****s!) and some stone chips on the front.

Yes, its silver frown.gif

I think it just needs some loving - would you travel to North North London?

A few years ago I had a black 3 series which I bought as an ex demo car. The dealership had a brush car wash which they used to clean cars after servcing, but the valeters were told to never put black cars through it. Unfortunately, before I took delivery, guess what, they put it in the car wash. I went nuts and said sort it before I take delivery. They said no problem sir, we'll get it mopped.

Well feck me sideways with a bottle of Autoglym, they totally screwed the paintwork. Instead of parallel lines from the car wash, I had the worst swirl marked car ever.

In the end, they spent 8 hours using a 3M bodyshop finishing product called Finesse It applied by hand then waxed the car back up again. Must say, it came up like new, and that Finesse It stuff is so impressive I bought a bottle of it.

Long winded way of saying I personally don't trust mopping at all unless it's done by some that REALLY knows what they're doing.

to be hoenst ive been looking in to this and its very expensive, i do have the odd few bits that do need doing , but i think as its so expensive to buy all the bits it may be wise to get a few prices to get someone else to do it, what should it cost to put it though a body shop to clean the whole thing up properly ?

[ QUOTE ]

I think it just needs some loving - would you travel to North North London?

[/ QUOTE ]

I moved house over Christmas, and haven't internet yet. so I'm not looking in as often as I would like. So...

Anyway, we don't travel I'm afraid, but if you want to take a road trip down the A12 to Chelmsford, we buy a steak meal for anybody who visits us from outside Essex!

I did think about moving to Kent just so I could get a steak dinner for comming into work... but the boss didn't go for it.