Saab Sportback Aero - V6 Turbo - Yeah or nay ?

R32North

Now, I was looking at the A3 Sportback as a replacement for my R32 as I'm becoming more family orientated with the imminent arrival of our 1st!!

That said I thought I'd take a peek at the V50 and Saab Sportback as potential options........... V50 looks neatr and is about the right size / price but I must say the Sabb is very well spec'd and a V6 Turbo (250bhp) for the Arep version, and all the goodies as well sounds brilliant and looks very cool too!

Can I find a price on the bu99er, no!!!!

Anyone know any more about the new Saab without me having to call / spaek to a dealer and get the usual dealer spraff and twaddle.

smile.gif169144-ok.gif

Why don't you just log on the website and request a brochure. Failing that give them a ring and ask for one. You wont get past the receptionist if you ring at the weekend (their busy period) and she'll send you one.

The new saab is a nice looking car and I had to toss up between my s60 and a saab too. The s60 won because it's built a little better and has more kit. Anyway you pays your money. My only problem with the V50 is that it's so small, too small. 169144-ok.gif

SixDegrees...I have a colleague with a Saab 9-3 Aero.

There is one major concern to be aware of which I'm sure you already are .... residuals. They're dreadful.

Even trying to change to a newer Saab he is struggling. The depreciation is astonomical.

However, it's definately improving as they are once again being recognised as a nicely put together car.

The other concern that I'd have is the dealers - his experience of them is nothing short of appalling. He's not hesitant in saying they're the worst customer service people he's ever dealt with - and he's owned a lot of 'average' cars in the past but says he has never experienced such a lack of care.

The V50 is based on the Focus, so great ride and handling, but very small, I would seriously consider a S60 T5 or S60 T5R, a year or so old so you don't get hit with all the depreciation. Monster performance, great spec, cool image ... I am something of a fan having had an 850 T5R before I regret selling it to this day, and have an new V70 on order now ..

Ohh poor residuals and bad customer service........ doesn't sound to good does it!

I'm still drawn to the A3 sportback, either 2.0TQ S-line or the TDi Q S-Line. The TDI should hold its value pretty well and I've always had a good experience at Audi in Stirling 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

ill second that m8 where i got my current a4 avant

[ QUOTE ]

I've always had a good experience at Audi in Stirling

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I got my A3 from Glasgow, but always got it serviced in Stirling, then bought my R32 from them and now back there again to look at the new A3.

169144-ok.gif

I remember looking on the Saab forums a few months back. Owners seem to be dogged by annoying (nor serious) reliability issues, squeaks and rattles - unnecessary trips back to the dealers. This put me off, because this was from an unbiased forum for Saab enthusiasts.

I'm not saying I subscribe to this, but cynics say the build quality issues occured since General Motors, and I also read the floor pan of the 9-3 is shared with the Vectra.

Chris

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying I subscribe to this, but cynics say the build quality issues occured since General Motors, and I also read the floor pan of the 9-3 is shared with the Vectra.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is, but that is a good chassis. GM engines too, and GM DO make some cracking engines. That V6 turbo is theirs. Don't let that put you off.

Fair point.

When I was considering a 9-3, with the top model being not much cheaper than an A4, I was concerned with the build quality issues. When your spending that much cash, the last thing you want is a squeaky dash or broken electric window. It reflects poorly on the overall package.

The niggles that I read were enough to steer me back to my preferred choice.

Cheers,

Chris

Aeros look great, and pretty rare on the roads.

There's an aero cab down the road and it looks quite nice, but saab make crap fabric roofs compared to audi/bmw. (I considered one a while back and had a nosey around a dealer or two)

Nice engines, but plenty of better cars about for the money IMO.

I'm after 5 doors and preferably something estate / avamt ish.

The Sportback A3 fits the bill prefectly, but I'm drawn to the Saab because its different, looks very fresh and is pretty much loaded without having to spend another £3k on the obligatory extras.

Whats miffed me a wee bit is that the S-Line kit comes in two parts and will set you back £1950 for all of it, add in full leather (S-Line is only 1/2 leather), Ali inlay, sunroof, Xenon and heated front seats and the A3 Sportback 2.0FSI TQ S-line that Auid in Stirling have is

£27,550.oo

Thats a lot of £££ and a used new shape S4 isn't much more!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

And, you get a V6 sound track in the Saab.

apologies, but I hate the noise that 4 cylinders make. (Unless Alfa Romeo!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Aye V6 noise is nice. Having been driving to that sound track for the past 2 yaers I've come to like it very much!

But needs must and I need to source a new car. I could always keep the R and get a newer (yet used) Audi Avant, ie T Reg.

But then the R would still sit in my drive 95% of the time doing squat and thats a waste of a great car and of my hard earned £££s.

smile.gif