GTi v V6 v R32

AndrewEdward

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

At the end of the day though, the GTI is a good looking modern Mk5 and the R32 is a dumpy lump of Mk4. Once the new one arrives then we can compare

[/ QUOTE ]

You are having a laugh !! MK V good looking - NO - Modern Yes - in the same way a Toyota is good looking .........

Get over it mate the R32 was a niche car, the GTI is a mass run Golf with GTI stickers.

[ QUOTE ]

You are having a laugh !! MK V good looking - NO - Modern Yes - in the same way a Toyota is good looking .........

Get over it mate the R32 was a niche car, the GTI is a mass run Golf with GTI stickers.

[/ QUOTE ]

....Tut tut! The R32 and Mk5 GTI are BOTH great looking cars - in different ways. But, whatever floats yer boat....

Sorry RedRobin just balancing out opinion - in response to the "Dumpy Lumpy" quote.

Check out the relative weights of both cars and take into account which one has 4wd !!

Got to keep you GTI folks honest!!

Seriously I have had almost all variants of GTI so do love them all, just love banter.

AND - whilst I ame here.

[ QUOTE ]

Using Volkswagen Drivers Tests

R32

0-60 6.9

0-80 11.3

50-70 in 3rd 3.7

GTI

0-60 6.0

0-80 10.7

50-70 in 3rd 3.3

The R32 is slower in all increments.

Jonathan

[/ QUOTE ]

Never seen these results but seems a bit against the flow. GTI is quoted around 6.9 (100kmh) and if I recall the R32 was quoted 6.4 (100kmh) Interesting that VW Driver managed to reverse these both by about 15% !! Me thinks a typo here.

Aswall - have to admit the A3 was a better looking car and the S3 was a cracker but still think the R32 turned the ugly duckling into a swan!! I am old so things take time to grow on me. Each earlier model golf was better looking in my eyes for at least a year before I moved on to the next.

This is evo's figures for the 2 cars:

Golf Gti

0-60 6.7

0-100 17.9

R32

0-60 6.4

0-100 16.3

Got to say though, very poor figures for the R32. AmD told me the other day one of their cars with a stage to hit a 5.2 seconds to 60, and I have heard of people dipping in to the 13's for the 1/4 mile.

Both fantastic cars though, the looks of the Gti are growing on me more and more evertime I see it. Now I actually like it quite alot, it needs the 18's though. And in black or red please 169144-ok.gif

[non-impartial mode]

R32 is the better looking out of the R32 and Mk5 GTI

[/non-impartial mode]

...until the Mk5 R32 comes along - then we'll have to see.

Still like them both, so bollox! 169144-ok.gif

---------------------

Totally impartial Mk4 R32 owner... tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Got to say though, very poor figures for the R32. AmD told me the other day one of their cars with a stage to hit a 5.2 seconds to 60, and I have heard of people dipping in to the 13's for the 1/4 mile.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you're not comparing like for like. Modified versus unmodified.

My R32 ST4 hits 60 in 5.3 (will try for the extra 10th next time I'm stupid enough to rig it up to a timer...), but then so would a Mk5 GTI if you'd spend the best part of £3.5K on the engine EEK2.GIF

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Aswall - have to admit the A3 was a better looking car and the S3 was a cracker

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif Oops, was being sarcastic, the Golf IV is a bit of a pig in a wig but the A3 is one of the ugliest cars around IMHO

Just as well we all have different tastes 169144-ok.gif

I'm old as well (41) and the Mk5 GTI is the first hatchback, let alone Golf, that I've thought was worth getting. If the style keeps evolving, the GTI Mk7 will be a cracker

Aswall - fellow oldster.

I specifically mean the last A3 (S3 vintage)I thought that was nice but never tempted then as I was VW to the core. Yes just as well we all have diff tastes. I am slow to embrace new things when I like the old. I got the B6 Audi A4 rather than the B7 as I can't get on with the lights or grill on the newew one!! Having said that I will change my mind if a B7 RS4 comes my way in December!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

I'm old as well (41)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's positively ancient..! yelrotflmao.gif

OK, so I'm 38 this year wink.gif

Always been a fan and owner of VWs and Audis. In VW mode for now because Audi wouldn't confirm whether they were making the RS3 mad.gif

Once you start modifying a Mk4 R32 it makes it hard to switch to a Mk5, whether it's a GTI or otherwise.

Anniversary GTI 240 bhp turbo with 4Motion would seriously tempt me because it would be straight down to AmD for a remap and 300+ bhp. The Mk5 R32 at 250 bhp (allegedly) doesn't do it for me for now.

Until I drive one... ECLIPSe.gif