• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Well the only thing that sums today up is notworthy.gif

OK, let's start with my percentages. At the start of the day I scored 35%, not overly dissapointed with this as (according to John) the average driver is somewhere much lower than that, and apparently I was an inherently safe driver, so it's not all bad.

My biggest single problem was that I tended not to look far enough ahead and instead to get fixated on the "hazards" on the road.

At the end of the day my percentage improved somewhat to a respectable 72%. I have to say I was really chuffed as my main aim was to improve through the day and I managed that and then some blush.gif

The format of the day was exactly as has been described before, with 4 - 1 hour (approx) - drives with breaks in between in the pub/Little Chef for theory work.

I was absolutely blown away when John got behind the wheel, the level of commentary that he was able to provide was simply stunning (whilst still driving amazingly well!)

With regards to my driving through the day, I really noticed 6 main things improving:

<ul type="square">[*]I started using the brakes less (I think on one run I used them twice!)

[*]I was in a far lower gear than I would normally be in, so could take advantage of engine braking a lot more

[*]The car felt flatter and better balanced in fast corners

[*]I started trusting my peripheral vision to sort out the things close to me and instead concentrated on looking much further ahead

[*]I got faster on unknown roads (where appropriate)

[*]My confidence to overtake in areas that I would normally not dare improved massively

Overall my advice to anyone who wants to get the most out of their cars is to do a day with John. The best money you can spend to improve your car is on improving the way in which you drive it.

I will post my detailed score report once it arrives in the post 169144-ok.gif

If anyone wants more information then feel free to PM me beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Sam, thanks for this review, John always gets excellent feedback from everyone that does this. I feel this may be a treat for myself before too long. Sounds like it is a loooooooong old day though!! grin.gif169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It really is a long day, but it has changed my driving for good 169144-ok.gif I can not believe how much I ached today!

• 1 month later...

The thing is when you sell the car you'll lose that investment. Gaining knowledge and ability stays with you in any car. I read an article recently saying how training should be compulsory. They reckon some of the worst drivers are those who passed their test years ago and think they've got a lot of experience.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on this one, Scotty. I'm not bothered about "losing" what I have spent - Everyone loses money on a car anyway and I view it as spending to enjoy my car more. It's for my enjoyment and isn't a financial investment.

I'm seriously interested in Drivetrain though it also sounds a bit scary! I'm looking to be a safer driver but not necessarily a faster driver.