MY GTI MkV was beaten for the first time

phantom75

i was standing on the signal light, a black 330i 2006 model stopped on my side, instinctly as any GTI driver, i put the gear on the sports mode, prepared myself for the greenlight, the bmw driver seemed cool and confident of himself, 1,2,3, and here comes the greenlight shocked.gif ,he took off like nothing i have seen before, my engine was going to blow up, but sorry smirk.gif i couldnt do it, he won, u have to see mygirlfriend's sarcastic laugh on me, she told me, your wheels were still spinning when the 330 reached his destination grin.gif , but above all that, i still beleive that our beloved GTI is not the fastest, but definately the sexiest jump.gif i will take revenge from probably a 320I or even 325I in the coming future. sportifs2.gif

[ QUOTE ]

i was standing on the signal light, a black 330i 2006 model stopped on my side, instinctly as any GTI driver, i put the gear on the sports mode, prepared myself for the greenlight, the bmw driver seemed cool and confident of himself, 1,2,3, and here comes the greenlight shocked.gif ,he took off like nothing i have seen before, my engine was going to blow up, but sorry smirk.gif i couldnt do it, he won, u have to see mygirlfriend's sarcastic laugh on me, she told me, your wheels were still spinning when the 330 reached his destination grin.gif , but above all that, i still beleive that our beloved GTI is not the fastest, but definately the sexiest jump.gif i will take revenge from probably a 320I or even 325I in the coming future. sportifs2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry mate! 169144-ok.gif

You lost because Black is the fastest colour. Sorry! znaika.gif

Proof that black is the fastest colour! ECLIPSe.gif

With a mere 30-odd miles on the clock tonight, I was taken on by a Passat TDi at lights. I let him get away ... then reeled him in pronto, not once getting beyond 4,000 revs.

Painless - unfair - just plain silly really.

Total races: 1

Total wins: 1

I retire! Always best to retire from public life the moment you get first place!!

[ QUOTE ]

....Things were getting a bit silly considering we were in 30 and 40 mph speed limits. So I guess we mutualy left it at a score draw

[/ QUOTE ]

....I'm assuming from your words that you both substantially exceeded the 30 & 40 limits NONO3.GIF - Not something to be proud of if that was the case.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

....Things were getting a bit silly considering we were in 30 and 40 mph speed limits. So I guess we mutualy left it at a score draw

[/ QUOTE ]

....I'm assuming from your words that you both substantially exceeded the 30 & 40 limits NONO3.GIF - Not something to be proud of if that was the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the equivalent of the 'fifth amendment' in English law? Thats what I'm pleading in this case; really do not want to incriminate myself wink.gif169144-ok.gif (Was not a built up area and was 2.00 am, not that is any excuse)

[ QUOTE ]

(Was not a built up area and was 2.00 am, not that is any excuse)

[/ QUOTE ]

....I hoped this was the case. Exceeding 30s and 40s in built-up areas is clearly very uncool and imo very stupid. At the risk of sounding boring I'm absolutely rigid about those particular speed limits and don't care how pissed off someone behind me is. The other week I slowed from about 70+ on entering a local village's 30 limit and the guy behind me got impatient and overtook me....to face a parked scamera van with a crouching policeman with aimed camera in the back! I actually felt pleased and hope he got done. If he'd being driving with more awareness he'd have spotted the scamera van ahead....It wasn't exactly hidden!

I had that once, on a notiorious straight residential street that the cops always targetted. I slowed down to 30 as a Renault (laguna or something) overtook.

I could see the cops ahead, he obviosuly couldn't (until halfway through his manouvre) he tried to slow down to tuck back in, but seeing as though he was being such an inconsiderate ass, i braked hard, leaving him sitting there on the other side of the road with no choice but to complete his overtaking... sent him straight into the arms of the waiting law... oh how i laughed grin.gif

No, I don't want Cruise cos I don't want my car to necessarily be trying to constantly maintain 30 in a 30 limit. This is a good example of why I really don't want Cruise.

Anyone who can drive with focus and awareness actually doesn't need Cruise imo. But please understand that I am NOT saying you can't drive if you like Cruise.

[ QUOTE ]

No, I don't want Cruise cos I don't want my car to necessarily be trying to constantly maintain 30 in a 30 limit. This is a good example of why I really don't want Cruise.

Anyone who can drive with focus and awareness actually doesn't need Cruise imo. But please understand that I am NOT saying you can't drive if you like Cruise.

[/ QUOTE ]

You been on your drivers course yet RedRobin?

[ QUOTE ]

Nope, I'm waiting for better weather. I must admit to also being a little nervous....At 58yo am I getting a little too old for such adventures?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever next... wink.gif you will be out pulling the ladies 169144-ok.gif (I assume thats your cup of tea yelrotflmao.gif)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It does depend. I would say that I'm a very good driver (as I've had "police" training upto "fast pursuit" and track day training by a former F1 test driver), however I still use cruise control a lot. Although I tend not to use it in built up areas as you never really maintain a constant speed in towns, I do find it useful in roadworks and whilst travelling on motorways and dual carriageways.

Not saying that you do this Robin, but the amount of people who I overtake at 79mph going up a hill, then get overtaken by them going down the hill is very annoying. Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but it really fecks me off when I go to overtake and the other car accelerates FIREdevil.gif

Now I don't "need" cruise, as I am more than able to hold a constant speed and in some cases it is much safer to not use cruise. However, I think it's a very useful feature if you do long journeys. I drove down to the South of France (about 800 miles in one hit) and I used cruise control all the way there. At every petrol stop I got out refreshed and comfortable. My friend who didn't have cruise in his car got out more than a little stiff smile.gif

*disclaimer to Mainy, Petsy and RR; by stiff I mean stiff in his leg wink.gif