PDF files

Dave

Cross platform portability. Size (usually smaller than the originating documents), and you also only need to have a reader to view the document. This means you, for example, do not need all of Microsoft Office installed to read documents or look at PowerPoint presentations if they are converted to PDF.

The latter (PPT->PDF) is something Cisco does well with its presentations and documentation.

You can also generate PDF files so no one can easily plagarise your work - not a bad thing in my work experience...

Adobe were in the right place, at the right time. The reader is buggy, slow and the format isn't great, but they've populated a massive amount of users/browsers so new formats will struggle to get in. The file size of a PDF isn't always smaller than the original document, but most often it is.

They are good for security of maintaining the original document however.

Yes. You can crack the password if you wish, but it's not easy. There are products out there, such as this one, that will attempt it for you.

http://www.crackpassword.com/products/prs/othersoft/pdf/

There are limits to this software, as quoted from their website:

[ QUOTE ]

Please note that APDFPR doesn't work with documents which have user-level passwords (preventing the files from being opened), if both user and owner passwords are unknown; and PDF files protected with any 3rd party security plug-ins such as FileOpen.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised Dave has any time at all to look at PDF files with all the ****ing he's been doing over the last couple of days grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably why i'm so tired.. there just isn't enought blood for me and my cock grin.gif