Tyre pressure monitor

techieboy

Does anybody know how this works? Does it need a specific wheel or is it part of the valve, or something?

I've got it fitted to my Sline special edition and kerbed my alloy yesterday avoiding a pillock that pulled out of parking place straight in front of me, without looking.

wheel_close_up.jpg

As I specced the RS6 style alloys, I didn't get a real spare wheel. So, I need to get a spare alloy anyway and obviously need to get the existing alloy refurbed. Just want to know whether it's going to cause grief

a) removing it

and

b) replacing it with a replacement RS6 alloy

Cheers,

Matthew

[ QUOTE ]

Does anybody know how this works? Does it need a specific wheel or is it part of the valve, or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a special transmitter unit that fits inside the tyre, and can be used with any wheels. The receivers are in the wheel arches and connect back to a central ECU which displays on the DIS. It can monitor all 5 wheels, including the spare.

Thanks for the quick response Dave. 169144-ok.gif

Thank feck for that. I had visions of it being a "special" order wheel that would require all sorts of grief to get hold of and fitted. Not to mention the cost. Almost want to take the tyre off and have a look at what's rolling around in there now. Notice the "almost"!

Matthew

[ QUOTE ]

Is your tyre in that Pic deflated? or they are they just ultra low profiles.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it must be the angle I took the picture at. I was thinking the same when I posted it. It's a regular 18" 5 spoke RS6 style alloy and 40 series Conti tyres.

I'm hoping the tyre is properly inflated as the aforementioned warning system hasn't flagged up any decrease in pressure (38psi IIRC), which it should do if any of the tyres lose more than 1psi, I think!

I have spec'd this on my new car, if you have to get a tyre changed by Kwik Fit etc do they have to move the tyre pressure monitor to the new tyre ?, or is it mounted as I suspect to the wheel rim ?

I also ordered a full size alloy too, I thought for £150 that was a relatively good buy for piece of mind.

[ QUOTE ]

Tyre Pressure Monitors................ that's just lazy! the_finger.gifjump.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely! I'd be even happier if the bloody thing would come and haul me out of bed at 5am every morning and make me a coffee. Got to deal with the running costs of a wife for that treat though. crazy.gif

Finally got home. Hate the sodding trains!

Just been and checked the label inside the drivers door jamb and yes, it should be 35psi all round, unless 4 up + luggage. Plugged my blinged up chrome Halfrauds pressure gauge into each and they're all within .3 of each other. 169144-ok.gif

Cheers!

Matthew

[ QUOTE ]

Is your tyre in that Pic deflated? or they are they just ultra low profiles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Took another picture from ground level and this is what they look like from the perspective of an ant.

ground_level_wheel_new.jpg

Plenty low profile enough. Having just seen a 3 series coupe with what must have been the most disgusting 20" chrome wheels on. The rims looked like they were only seperated from the road by 10mm of rubber. I think not! Flush.gif

The TPMS system can also pick up the spare in the boot if fitted with TPMS sensor or even spare wheels in your garage, so if you get a 'Defective Tyre Onboard' message..... check all the wheels.

I also think that the sensor is in the valve these days.... it is on my car (Touareg).

This time of year as things warm up, its worth checking the presures again....

Finally, are those stock tyres on your rims? They look very low profile and rather nice!

Hope those are coming on mine!

[ QUOTE ]

I also think that the sensor is in the valve these days.... it is on my car (Touareg).

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a suspicion they might be in the valves. The valves do look a bit different to the usual but I've got nothing else to reference, so these might be normal OE.

valve_close_up.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Finally, are those stock tyres on your rims? They look very low profile and rather nice!

Hope those are coming on mine!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, they're the stock tyres. Continental SportContact 2's. I think I read a post on here, with somebody knocking them but I haven't got anything to complain about with them, as yet. They might not be the ultimate track day tyre but very easy to live with so far. Although the "rim protector" didn't seem to give much in the way of protection frown.gif