BMW 6 series

shao_khan

It's weight reduction - it's detailed in quite a lot of depth in that big black book on the 6-series design that I got from BMW.

In actual fact, the body is a combination of Aluminium, Steel and Composite materials.

The front section of the car is aluminium and composite materials. The boot lid is composite, the bonnet and doors are aluminium and the front valance is thermoplastic.

BMW state three reasons:

1 - weight saving (resulting in)

2 - better performance

3 - better fuel consumption

The suspension is also lightweight aluminium.

Interesting fact of the Day: The BMW 6-series Convertible is just 100 kg heavier than a BMW M3 Convertible.

[ QUOTE ]

I wonder if I could persuade my dad to take a 2003 E39 530d Touring over a brand new Vectra 3.0 V6 Diesel.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is buying it on finance he may find he can be in a 6 month old 530d M-Sport Touring for less money than a new Vectra Estate.

We were talking about this the other day on bmwland so I will post it on here....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

People sometimes ask "how can you afford a beemer?!" to which i say "it would cost more to finance a Ford Focus than a beemer, simply because the residual value is total mince on a Ford".

Go in, chat to the finance person; some non BMW drivers would be amazed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had some bloke in my shop the other day who had been across the road with some friends and obviously had a few drinks at lunchtime an was being a little loud, although fine, just a bit of a know it all.

Anyway my wife then pulled up in the 5 series and came in and started talking to me about something, as she went he kept banging on about my car, and how he is in the wrong game and should be in retailing as it is obviously where all the money is to be made etc. etc.

I listened to him for about 10 minutes and could't be bothered to say anything until he pointed out his brand new 55 plate Vauxaull Vectra 2.2i estate sitting outside, said he could buy 2 of them for the same money I spent on mine, I must be mad. So I asked him if he bought it outright or on finance?? This shocked him a bit but in the end said he bought it finance, cost him £25k with £3k deposit and a guraunteed value of £4k at the end, costing him, wait for it.........£615 a month!!

When I pointed out mine was costing 25% less a month and had to ask who was mad? He went very quiet. :twisted:

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I wonder if I could persuade my dad to take a 2003 E39 530d Touring over a brand new Vectra 3.0 V6 Diesel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having had 3 Vectra SRi 3l D in the last year - why would you want to? Its a good car tarnished by a badge undeserving of the cars ability.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is buying it on finance he may find he can be in a 6 month old 530d M-Sport Touring for less money than a new Vectra Estate.

We were talking about this the other day on bmwland so I will post it on here....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

People sometimes ask "how can you afford a beemer?!" to which i say "it would cost more to finance a Ford Focus than a beemer, simply because the residual value is total mince on a Ford".

Go in, chat to the finance person; some non BMW drivers would be amazed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had some bloke in my shop the other day who had been across the road with some friends and obviously had a few drinks at lunchtime an was being a little loud, although fine, just a bit of a know it all.

Anyway my wife then pulled up in the 5 series and came in and started talking to me about something, as she went he kept banging on about my car, and how he is in the wrong game and should be in retailing as it is obviously where all the money is to be made etc. etc.

I listened to him for about 10 minutes and could't be bothered to say anything until he pointed out his brand new 55 plate Vauxaull Vectra 2.2i estate sitting outside, said he could buy 2 of them for the same money I spent on mine, I must be mad. So I asked him if he bought it outright or on finance?? This shocked him a bit but in the end said he bought it finance, cost him £25k with £3k deposit and a guraunteed value of £4k at the end, costing him, wait for it.........£615 a month!!

When I pointed out mine was costing 25% less a month and had to ask who was mad? He went very quiet. :twisted:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers!

I'll get him to look into that, because it would definately be a financed purchase. When he bought the Vectra we have now in 2004, money was tighter, he could only borrow £6k, and had to lay a driveway for that. That will be paid off (early) this year and he is considering buying new since he'd likely keep the car for quite some time.

I'll get him to look into it because I know he'd rather have a 530d than a Vectra.

Not sure how he'd feel about a slushbox but I'm sure he wouldnt mind if he got the car he wants.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Having had 3 Vectra SRi 3l D in the last year - why would you want to? Its a good car tarnished by a badge undeserving of the cars ability.

[/ QUOTE ]

rom what I have heard it's a good car, and it would indeed be the SRi, but if you can have a BMW, you'd want one. It's been some years since dad had a "nice" car, if he knew he could get one he'd be likely to. He had an E39 in 1997 and he loved it. He wants a car newer than his Vectra but not old enough to be in need of replacement, I don't know how old the car can be, but I doubt he'd want to take anything over three years old on because of the maintenence issue of a high end car.

I'm sure he'll weigh up the pros and cons himself, but surely there's no harm in introducing the idea?