What do you use to tow?

DanG

Having decided that the way forward is going to be a RIB and one of about 6m in length with my 75hp 4 stroke and on a breaked trailer.

The next question is what to use to tow it with?

I have just parted with my Nissan Titan pickup, (the cheapest no frills edition) with rear wheel drive only and plenty of towing capability. Would love to have kept it, but MPG is shocking.

I am looking into what I should get for a station commuter and weekend towing and do everything car.... you know the sort of thing, throw dogs in the back, never clean it, carry stuff from homebase home in it....

Short list so far is:

Land Rover 90 TD5 - not great mileage at 25 average, but a bit 'cool'...

Mitsubishi L200 2.5tdi - better mileage, but a bit crap on the inside...

Really am a little out of touch with the UK market for towing vehicles etc..... models etc

Must be diesel and able to tow.... and thats about it. Oh and up to about 15k, although the less I spend the better......

Any help appreciated. 169144-ok.gif

I'd go for an A6 Avant TDi Quattro chipped to 180/210BHP (depending if you start with a 150 or 180). Plenty of low down grunt and massive traction with quattro.

I towed with my old one and used to embarass most other tow vehicles on the slip when it was a bit slippery!

Ross,

what do you use? you seem to have a similar set up to what I will have....

Gone back to thinking Landy at the moment, I really dont need a nice Audi allroad / A6 which will sit in the station car park all week and do about 3 miles a day.

Warrior is on the list too...

I think a breaked trailer is what the Rib will have to have. With a 4 stroke 75hp and twin fuel tanks filled up its going to weigh a fair bit.....

My old boat fully laden was 5500lbs and the Titan had a towing capacity of 9700lbs!

We used to use our 1987 Ford Granda Scorpio 4X4 2.9 V6, it was a fantastic towing car and I still miss it frown.giffrown.gif

We now use my Brothers 'Music Van' a 2003 VW T4 1.9TD van which only 'just' moves when its hitched up tongue.gif

Which reminds me, I still haven't put pictures up of our boat yet blush.gif

i got myself a ssangyong muzzo for a short term solution!

Not the nicest looking, infact prob the worst! But £1000 got me a 1995 2.9 5cly merc engined with 75k on it came taxed and tested! just checked it over and found no faults! Good buy i thought??? half the price of anything else at its level. aslong if you can put up with the ugly looks of it!