Shell Fraud!

Korkster

My local Shell has been cash only for at least a fortnight. I asked why the last time I was in there and they said there was a problem with their system. I've been away for the last 10 days and expected it to have been fixed by the time I got back, but it was still cash only earlier this evening. Now I know why. shocked.gif

/me checks statements

"copy the magnetic strips"? Err, it's called chip and pin for a reason, why does it need to read the mag stripe?

My local shell doesn't use that kind of reader, it uses one where the card is put in the top with the chip facing down, an Incognito one I think. They've still withdrawn it though.

[ QUOTE ]

"copy the magnetic strips"? Err, it's called chip and pin for a reason, why does it need to read the mag stripe?

My local shell doesn't use that kind of reader, it uses one where the card is put in the top with the chip facing down, an Incognito one I think. They've still withdrawn it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif OK, on your chip'n'pin card you still have a magstripe which contains all the data on the front of your card - therefore your chipcard can still be 'skimmed' for the 'track2' mag stripe data.

If you can also compromise the PIN entry device to get to PIN too - then you send the info somewhere else in europe - duplicate the card onto a normal magstripe card with no chip - then use that card in an cash machine to withdraw money.

The cash machines in most of europe excluding UK and France only read the magstripe! 169144-ok.gif

grin.gif do you mean Ingenico rather than Incognito ? wink.gif

We were told Chip n Pin was the answer to all our woes, card security would never be in question again !!

This is why (apart from the cost) I'm against Identity Cards 'cos they'll be so easily corrupted by the fraudsters too !! smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

We were told Chip n Pin was the answer to all our woes, card security would never be in question again !!

This is why (apart from the cost) I'm against Identity Cards 'cos they'll be so easily corrupted by the fraudsters too !! smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif chip and pin was never supposed to fix the whole system - there are too many weak points for an instant fix - however, since the introduction the fraud committed using lost, stolen and counterfit cards has reduced by nearly 40%. Only one type has gone up and thats Cardholder Not Present transactions like on the internet and mailorder 169144-ok.gif

grin.gif Fear not on the ID card system - the infrastructure it will be based on is far more secure than the worldwide banking network! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Fear not on the ID card system - the infrastructure it will be based on is far more secure than the worldwide banking network!

[/ QUOTE ]

....In time someone somehow will crack even the ID card system and the results will be potentially far worse. Does anyone remember "The Prisoner" starring Patrick McGoohan ? Are we going to let a government or any authority own our individual identities ?

[ QUOTE ]

grin.gif OK, on your chip'n'pin card you still have a magstripe which contains all the data on the front of your card - therefore your chipcard can still be 'skimmed' for the 'track2' mag stripe data.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, but why aren't outlets using readers that accept the card 'chip-in' rather than swiping? If the crooks are duping the mag stripe data, they must be using terminals that swipe the card, and copying/storing the data for later download, yes?

The mag duping is nothing new, it used to be done by crooked shop assistants putting a 2nd card reader in line with the one linked to the till, and it appears like one swipe to the customer, but the details are duped.

[ QUOTE ]

grin.gif do you mean Ingenico rather than Incognito ? wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I think no matter how hard we try to combat fraud etc they will always find a way round it! We will all end up with cash under the beds.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif of course no system is totally secure - the definition of security is that it should take more time/money/effort than the benefit from breaking the system 169144-ok.gif

grin.gif Without doubt a smartcard is the most secure device you own - the technology that goes into them is mindboggling. Its also worth mentioning that systems designed around the smartcard from the beginning are very secure, like GSM for instance - when was the last time you heard of a SIM being cloned ?

In banking, adding a SmartCard was a bit of an afterthought....