How do you finance your car?

Dave

Thought it would be interesting to see how the majority pay for their cars:

So how do you do it? cool.gif

<ul type="square"> [*]Full Payment - nothing outstanding [*]Loan- From dealer [*]Loan-Bank or building society [*]Hire Purchase - deposit and montly installments [*]Lease Purchase - balloon payment at end [*]PCP [*]Contract Hire / Leasing [*]Other?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Saved for a few years to buy the MX5- we finally bought it when my ex's uncle popped his clogs and left us enough to top up our savings. When we split up my half of the proceeds of the sale of the Mazda paid for my Alfa 146 and a years insurance- it was only 6 months older and was almost a grand dearer when new! laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I tend to use PCP now.. it's a form of just hiring cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never been sold on PCPs. However I do my sums, the dealer seems to do better than the customer out of them. Of course, this may be because I'm no good at sums grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I've never been sold on PCPs. However I do my sums, the dealer seems to do better than the customer out of them. Of course, this may be because I'm no good at sums

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, i suppose it's what you want out of your car. I recently did this on the wife's verso.. i never want to actually own the car and am happy to pay a montly instalment to pretty much hire it.

Always pay cash. Won't borrow money to purchase anything that depreciates at the rate of a car. But then, apart from my mortgage, I have never borrowed money to purchase anything. If I can't afford it now, I save and buy it when I can afford it. I don't pay interest, I earn it as I save. You can't blame the current ridiculous level of debt in the UK on me!

Cash, never will I borrow for a car.

But I can see why people do, if money can be borrowed over 2 years, say £9k for £10k back inc interest or 18k for 20k back, then why not.

As long as your disposable income can cope with the repayments then is makes sense for some.

I hate debt and have no borrowings nor have had for a few years, I'd like to keep it that way.

I think the problem comes with buying the more expensive kit..

I'm looking at a GT3.. now, IF (and it is an if) i went new, you'd be looking at £80,000... that is a shed load of money to have tied up in car..

I could make two deposits for property with that money and have it working for me.. the money comming in from leasing those properties will cover the mortages and some of the montly installments..

So, i reckon for the expensive stuff, ok, use a biggish deposit if you like, but leave money so it can work for you.

Anyone agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never been sold on PCPs. However I do my sums, the dealer seems to do better than the customer out of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both the dealer and the finance co do better out of PCPs. The finance co I work for (and since last week, partly own laugh.gif) are old fashioned in that we only offer good old HP, none of this PCP, Lease Purchase, contract hire nonsense! I agree that there are deals of this type out there that suit some but if it was me financing the car I would it to be on a decreasing balance scheme where I end up with something to show for my money at the end of it. I hear quite a few horror stories about people being charged horrendous sums for cars to be "put right" when they hand them back. This is just another way of the dealer/finance co making an extra quid.

With regard to deals for cars in the price range you are looking at Dave, you are very limited in your choices. If the dealer offers you anything, be very careful as it will be over the 25k Consumer Credit Act limit you will not have the protection of the Act and he will be under no obligation to quote you an APR. If you want me to look at any figures and work out the true rate, let me know 169144-ok.gif