[Audi A3/S3] Cylinder Misfire

R4V_S3

Guys,

So i have had my S3 for just under a month.. and i have encountered my 1st problem.

I was driving at 50 in 6th gear.. put my foot down a little to about 55 and the car juddered.. then when i approached the lights and changed gears it was all slow and more jerky than beef!

Now when i start the car the engine moves around a lot and is misfiring. VAG-com'd it and it tells me there is a cylinder 2 misfire! Checked the plugs and they look ok.. so what can i do? what can it be??

My dad is going to get me a new set of plugs tomorrow, but IF that doesn't sort it, what else could be causing this???

I have an extended warrenty, so if it is something more serious than plugs i shall be dropping it at Audi or fontain..

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you

PS Also posted in techincal section as i didn't know where i would get most response.. appologies if this is the wrong approach

Thanks for quick reply!

Its got an extended warranty with warrantydirect... not been informed of recalls. If it is coil packs, does that cause misfire? and is it expensive to supply and repair? (just in case warranty doesn't cover it)

cheers

Coilpacks are what give the plugs the juice they need to spark so YES it'll cause a misfire if your coilpack goes. Mine died and it sounded almost exactly like you've said. Although mine died s-l-o-w-l-y so I had to make 3 trips to the mechanic before a code came up suicide.gif

If you don't have "L" revision coilpacks then there SHOULD be a Technical Bulletin on them. It's not a "Recall" because that would've been $$$ EEK2.GIF so instead, customers who have problems with older versions aren't charged for replacements. Now... bear in mind that that is how MY Audi (Non)service partner explained it to me, I'm sure there are differences with Audi UK, but it's definately worth asking. I would recommend you NOT drive the car while it's misfiring for a number of reasons, the one that bit me in the ass was the unburnt fuel wound up killing my Catalytic Converter frown.gif (But I got stuck having to "Limp" the 110kms to my mechanic)

HTH beerchug.gif

Oh yeah, and you can see what version your coilpacks are by pulling one of them. Just unplug the connector and pull the coilpack straight up, takes a bit, but it'll pop right out. Then right where the connector was you can see the part number, it'll end in a letter. IIRC my original ones were "J" and were replaced with the "L's". 169144-ok.gif

Thank you soooo much for your replie(s)!! I am just chasing my local deal to see if they have any in stock.. if not German Swedish stock them at around £20 so not too bad!

I will let you know how it goes!

Thanks again!

LOL tell me about it, i just shat myself!!!!

Only had it like 3 weeks, and on a day like this, boy do i wanna cruise!

Luckily i have my trusted polo as a back up..Just seems crap driving that now. The steering, the brakes, the lack of power frown.gif

yep common fault, cheap to fix wink.gif

part number should be stamped wher the plug would cover over.

Cant recall the current part, I think its at least L, maybe more.

An ADT replaced all of mine free, recently when one failed.