Woman killed in Police chase

drpellypo

as seen Here

I really really hope this isn't going to turn into a 'the police are dangerous' saga. For goodness sake, do people not realise it's the people who are in the stolen cars who kill people, and not the police chasing them? It's like this mad idea that 'joyriders' tootle round at 30mph until the police start chasing them and then they put their foot down.

smashfreakB.gif

Terrible tragedy and if it was my gf I would feel terrible. However an armed robber is as you say drp unlikely to be driving at 30 all the time. Yes he might have increased speed when the polizei started the chase but what were they meant to do? Let him get away?

I think it's good these things are investigated, so as to convey the sense that the police are not above the law, and if red mist had kicked in, and they were wreckless, then yes, they should be punished. But where protocol and procedure is followed, and the officers did what they should have, then it, in my opinion, should be a no brainer that the crook is to blame, and the police should only be rewarded for their brave efforts.

I get so sick of hearing people come up with the argument that the police shouldn't pursue, cos it's just utter tosh.

A friend of my mums is a driving instructor for Durham Police, and he was involved in an RTC, not his fault (he was rammed), hit a brick wall, and was immediately suspended pending investigation. Thing is, he was in a video car, and it was blatent that he was rammed. WHy they had to suspend him, goodness knows.

[ QUOTE ]

YEs mate, I was treated like a criminal and it was instantly decided that it HAD to be my fault frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Its funny you put it like that because the Police in our area treat general motorists like that before any evidence is even gathered - I think its a shame it happens that way as it isnt a very pleasent experiance.

Glad to see it all came out in the end tho 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

...WHy they had to suspend him, goodness knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whilst I accept that it's a traumatic exercise for the driver involved, I think that it's important for the public to believe that police drivers can be held accountable, and aren't above the law.

I know that I would certainly want to see this procedure put into effect if it was my property which was damaged by an 'escaping' suspect, or worse, me, or a member of my family, killed or injured.

Glad to hear that you got the right result, A_S! beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

A friend of my mums is a driving instructor for Durham Police, and he was involved in an RTC, not his fault (he was rammed), hit a brick wall, and was immediately suspended pending investigation. Thing is, he was in a video car, and it was blatent that he was rammed. WHy they had to suspend him, goodness knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see him driving up and down New Elvet with the new recruits. It's hilarious, bless 'em, they'll put the blues n twos on and then sit there not realising that people are pulling over for them!!! I coudln't do his job.

Incidently, Durham now have a BMW 5 series in white as their training car, used to be a Pug 406 saloon. Although they're not technically out doing speed enforcement, it's still a car full of coppers so watch out 169144-ok.gif

re the woman getting killed; I don't mean to sound harsh but it is inevitable that sometimes the general public will be injured or worse. For the "greater good" this must happen, could you imagine the anarachy if police weren't allowed to pursue criminals? Not saying that it happened in this case, but coppers are only human, just imagine you got a kick in the danglies by a criminal who then fled by car. The red mist would descend and you would REALLY want that bastard.

Anyway, lets hope the criminal gets put down for murder/manslaughter as well FIREdevil.gif

Seen the Durham training cars, you're right in that they did have 5-series Beemers. I have seen 406s, 407s and either an Astra or Focus (can't remember). Tended to congregate around the BP services near Sedgefield to fill up with pies wink.gif

When I did my basic driver training there were 3 of us plus the instructor in an unmarked Mondeo. We had some idiot tailgating us as we were sticking to the speed limit. Should've seen the look on his face when the two of us in the back turned round to look at him and he spotted the epaulettes and the strobe lights in the corners of the rear window. Needless to say he suddenly remembered the 'two second rule'.

[ QUOTE ]

Hey Smitten, Are UK police authorized to "Push" suspect vehicles like you see the US Cops do on... "Cops", etc.?? You know what I mean, the "Procedure" wherein the Cruiser pushes the tail end of the other car out causing instant oversteer?

Just curious beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There are other tactics which are similar but the one that you see on cops which sends the suspect car into a spin is too dangerous and isnt used here 169144-ok.gif