The Cruise Control and DIS Saga continues.......

chasdrury

As you have all probably seen, there have been lots of discussions about fitting cruise and DIS to cars that originally did not have it. It seems that the Steering Control Module (SCM) on cars that had neither as a factory option would not accept either functionality as a retro fit, without a new SCM - which Michet found could cause some problems with the ABS controller and require a visit to Audi... crazy.gif

My 2004 A4 had neither as a factory option, and I got hold of the cruise stalk (from Shark_90) and the DIS stalk (VAG Parts), and popped over to Sharks' house as he said we could have a bash at fitting it (well, HE could have a bash at it, I am not really into disconnecting airbags and the like!!).....

So on Tueday Shark plugged his laptop into my car and coded it for DIS, but the butons wouldn't do anything... SCM change time, and he had a compatible SCM, so off came more screws and bits and they all went back on, around the new SCM. Plugged everything in and as when the ignition was turned, the brake warning started flashing and the dashboard turned into a Christmas tree.......

After a bit of playing around it was decided maybe i should ring my local stealer!! When I got home I noticed that the DIS worked - if you pressed the buttons before the brake warning popped up... The man at Audi tutted a bit and said we'll sort it leave it with us for half a day! Couldn't book in till the 24th May smashfreakB.gif

Next day comes and Shark rings me - he'd been doing lots of research on 'tinternet and thought he had a solution, so off I trot to his place and within about half an hour everything worked!!! Cruise, DIS and NO WARNINGS!!!!

I am sure he will be along here soon to report on what was required, I won't even pretend to claim I knew what going on - far to technical for me!!

The point of this is to say it is possible to retrofit Cruise and DIS to any B6 A4 with the right bits and knowledge, without having to get stealers involved!!

Anyway, sorry for the long post and beerchug.gif to Shark!!

Chaz

[ QUOTE ]

Next day comes and Shark rings me - he'd been doing lots of research on 'tinternet and thought he had a solution, so off I trot to his place and within about half an hour everything worked!!! Cruise, DIS and NO WARNINGS!!!!

I am sure he will be along here soon to report on what was required, I won't even pretend to claim I knew what going on - far to technical for me!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Shark will have gone into the settings and changed them too:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>

DIS [on]

Cruise [on]

ABS Warning: [shutup]

Fuel Warning: [TellMeLater]

Dashboard lights [off]

Safety systems [off]

</pre><hr />

tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The ABS warning comes on because the steering wheel angle sensor used by the ESP needs resetting (the ABS warning is also an ESP failure warning). The procedure to reset it is on the Ross Tech website - took me 10 minutes to do on a cold January day.

[/ QUOTE ]

We didn't know that when we started!!!!

And, no, the lights definately come on - tested the esp one and it still flashes when its working hard to keep me going round corners!!!

Chaz

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shark will have gone into the settings and changed them too:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>

DIS [on]

Cruise [on]

ABS Warning: [shutup]

Fuel Warning: [TellMeLater]

Dashboard lights [off]

Safety systems [off]

</pre><hr />

tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cruise Retrofit ['ave summa that] 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Cool - will you be offering as a service to other TSN Members?

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer to that one my friend is yes - I think so. I'm going to mull it over with Stratty and see if he minds, and once I've got my head around sorting the VIN number fault code as I mentioned in another thread, I'd be confident enough to go for it. Until then I wouldn't like to be taking TSNer's cars to pieces as a "service" as I don't believe in doing things by halves. Chaz agreed to let me use his car as a test bed, at our own peril (!) and luckily it paid off over time.

Watch this space 169144-ok.gif

LOL cheers matey 169144-ok.gif

So the official line is yes.. I will now offer cruise control and DIS retrofit services once I have finalised the VIN number problem (which I think I've got sussed) and when we know exactly how to ground the correct wire (which I STILL haven't done to mine!) 169144-ok.gif