Anyone thinking of trading up to an S4?

edo

Just thinking, seeing as I am now going to be doing a lot more miles, I may swith to a TDI A4/A3/A6, and release a little bit of cash to get another Westifeld as a second car (I had one a few years ago). So if anyone is thinking of buying a used S4, and/or trading a TDI Audi of some sort, drop me a pm or email ([email protected]) and let me know.

My car is a "54" plate S4 4.2 V8, only 22k on the clock, just serviced, Dolphin metalic, Full Black Nappa, RNS-E naviagtion, park distance, RS4 pedals, Xenons, Ski-load, Light pack, and probably a few other things I have forgotten"...

post-12290-137914358395_thumb.jpg

Forgot to mention - it is a manual!

Scotty, trouble is that Caterhams are soooo much more expensive, and IMHO not worth the premium of a good spec well built (they aren't all) Westie. You can only just get a Caterham for 7-8k, and it will be an older x-flow with 4 speed box, whereas for the same money you can get a much newer Westie with a 2.0 Zetec, or Vauxhall unit...

Actually, I did the reverse of this a while back!..

I have always had Porsches; I had a 911SC from 1983 I kept for 6 years at the time, ran a corrado G60 day to day. I then traded the Corrado for my first A4 1.8T day to day, then upgraded the 911 to a new Boxster in 2001. I then Upgraded the 1.8T to a new (at the time) 190PS B6 A4 keeping the Boxster, then got my wife a 1.4 polo... Traded the Polo for an A3 2.0FSI, then decided to sell the Boxster due to just not using it, and the expense of running 3 cars.

After that, I gave my wife the A4, traded the A3 for a 3.2 Sline A3, then traded that up to an S4 (best thing I did). Just recently traded the A4B6 for a new 2.0Tfsi Sline SE for my wife ( and me occasionally).

Anyway... second cars can be a pain IMO and you dont always get the use out of them to justify it. I decided to want a better car overall to use everyday that had trackday performance also...

I used to do 3 or 4 trackdays a year with the Boxster but I cant say I miss it too much these days.. its just nice not having to fork out loads of cash all the time on isurance, tax etc..

I would say... keep the s4, and go and do some driving experience days if you have the trackday bug just to be sure...

[ QUOTE ]

You're probably right but (and I know this is totally the wrong reason and when I get to choosing I may change my mind....) I prefer the looks of the Caterham!

[/ QUOTE ]

The Westfields are much more of a kit car and t build quality is crap!! The extra money for a caterham is well worth it, you'll get a very nice one for 12-15k. The serious ones are over 20k.

We're going of thread here, but you cant make a statement like that - have you seen every Westfield thats been built? A good percentage are built by the factory! The last one I had was absoloutely fine - never gave me any trouble. Dont get me wrong, I'd get a Caterham if they were a few k more - but 8k for a tatty 1989 x-flow 1.6 4 speed Caterham, versus the same for a 1998 1.8 Zetec 5 speed Westfield????

I wish you well and have no need to push down S4 values (I have an Avant and a Cab) but trade on your car is c£25k and retail is under £30k even with sat nav. If you get more than £27k privately then I will be well impressed.

Best of luck.

Ok folks - found some cars to replace it with. Been offered a pretty reasonable price from an independent, but would like it to go to someone without lining anyone elses pocket!

So I have reduced the price to 28.5k, and open to (sensible) offers if you have the cash...

Ed