New 2.0 T FSI Engine sounds like a DEISEL

markkieras

I have just sold my A3 2.0 FSI, and brought an A4 Avant 2.0T FSI S-line SE. I have noticed that the engine in the A4 feels very course at low speed compared to the A3, which felt very smooth. My wife has even compared the noise and feel of it, to a DIESEL!!!! smashfreakB.gif

Is the engine very different from the A3? I was under the impression that it's the same engine with a turbo strapped on, and assumed that prior to the turbo kicking in the engine would feel the same?

Mark

My wife has the 2.0T engine in her A3 Sportback (coincidentally also in Akoya Silver!). Naturally, it isn't as smooth as a V6, but it is smooth enough and sounds good as you rev it.

It certainly does NOT sound like a diesel!!!

Maybe she filled it with DERV by mistake ??? smashfreakB.gif

Sidicks

Its pretty good I think; maybe you have an issue with yours. Its quieter than the older 1.8T imo and pretty smooth on a run. When you rev it hard, it sounds quite noisy, but then again it would!...

These Fsi engines have direct fuel injection into the cylinders which makes them run at extremely high pressures but can't say I would say its particularly noisy, and no way like a diesel.

Get yours checked out ...

When revved hard it does feel good (and quick) and I can only notice the difference when driving below 40mph.

I personally wouldn’t say it sounds like a diesel (That’s what my wife said) however it feels less smooth than my old A3 2.0 FSI. The Car is only 2 weeks old and is still on its first tank of fuel.

confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

When revved hard it does feel good (and quick) and I can only notice the difference when driving below 40mph.

I personally wouldn’t say it sounds like a diesel (That’s what my wife said) however it feels less smooth than my old A3 2.0 FSI. The Car is only 2 weeks old and is still on its first tank of fuel.

confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Give it a few tanks of Optimax and run it in properly, unless there's something seriously wrong, it should improve and become smoother.

Sdicks

Its 95 Octane as standard and probably less to say a few pounds.

I've got the 2.0T in mine and if yours sounds anything remotely like a diesel I'd take it back and get it checked over. I think its quite smooth at tickover and you mostly get induction noise and exhaust when its on full chat but I certainly would say its a bad sound if not quite straight 6 territory.

My other half has an Astra 1.7CDTi and its way smoother than the current 2.0 and 1.9 diesels from Audi / VW but I certainly wouldn't mention the 2.0T in the same breath as a diesel. If anything its the standard 2.0FSI thats the coarse one from my brief drive of one. crazy.gif

Very strange indeed.

[ QUOTE ]

How can the Seat/VW 2.0T engines sound OK, and the Audi ones like Diesels?!

They're the same unit. crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Same basic unit yes, but the S Line SE/DTM spec is tuned differently and has several upgraded components over the aforementioned units which could account for it's different note.

Our 2.0T sounded exactly like a diesel at idle and low revs.

Apparently this is caused by the direct injection technology they employ.

Dont worry, once you get your foot down the diesel sound disappears!!

Also after 5,000 miles the engine seemed to have lost a little of its dieselness......

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

This is only on the Audi models then. Odd though. coffee.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope mine is as smooth as anything. Not that much diffent in how quiet it is and smooth to my old Lexus. Must be just when its in the A4.. fine in the A3.

I certainly would never class it as noisy and rattly at all. crazy.gif