New BMW M5 DMS vs CSL

vito

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

What I would say is it is very easy to drive the CSL very quick and up against a 360 not the CS I think the CSL would wip its ASS

[/ QUOTE ]

CSL is 6 seconds faster than the CS round the ring 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

unless you're driving it..... grin.gif

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Scotty

It is great when you get in a car driven by someone that really knows what they are doing the difference is huge. Was it defo a 360 CS would kill anything on track CSL GT3 Rs4 no prob that is a great car and the noise.

What I would say is it is very easy to drive the CSL very quick and up against a 360 not the CS I think the CSL would wip its ASS

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree about the good driver comment (as evidenced by by earlier post). I've been out with pro drivers and it does make you appreciate that you're nothing special. It keeps you on the level. 169144-ok.gif

I'm 99.5% sure it was a CS. The only 360 I saw in the paddock was a CS (we had a good look) and I only saw one out on track so I assume it was the same one.

[ QUOTE ]

*cough*

Fast though the M5 is, hardly walks it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither would anyone expect it to given it's weight. But as has been said many times, the CSL was designed & built to be race/track focused, losing it's day to day drivability as the sacrifice for weight.

Looking at the stats you've posted, the 0-100KMH is quicker in the M5 but not by much & the 0-150KMH is where the M5 starts to gain a bigger advantage. It's bigger wins are the in gear such as 80-120 & 80-150 where you're looking at upwards of a 2 second advantage & finally the 0-200-0 which again goes to the M5.

Going the other way are the figures for 0-100-0 which the CSL being lighter wins, plus the slalom speeds etc. which the CSL again wins, but bear in mind the CSL runs on Cup tyres which is quite a significant traction & grip advantage.

No-one will disagree that the CSL is the better sudo sports car & that round a track it will out-perform an M5 with like for like drivers.

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry not posted for a bit moving house anyway the SL 65 great car in a straight line very fast put some corners in its way and the advantage it gained on the straight would go.

Hi B6BVS

I agree the Ring is not a tight track it has some bits that are tight but its all round the CSL goes well. And at the end you come out 23 seconds ahead of the M5 read it and weep M5 owners (YOU THINK YOU ARE BIG TIME YOUR GOING TO DIE BIG TIME) sorry movie quote. Anyway yes stay away from the twistys hahaha we are 2 seconds faster that an SLR

But I have heard that the M5 taxis are not allowed to do under 9 min laps some safty crap just a roomer.

Hi Paul C

I have to say I think 23 seconds is quite a bit my friend Barry Horne (2003 Porsche Cup Champ) did the 24hr at the ring and if he or his team mates were 23 seconds apart then some one would get fired. I am sure you would be saying the same if it was the other way round.

I think we should all agree to say that the M5 or DMS is quicker on the straights and the CSL round the corners now all we need to do is mix them together FIREdevil.gif

Hi Scotty

It is great when you get in a car driven by someone that really knows what they are doing the difference is huge. Was it defo a 360 CS would kill anything on track CSL GT3 Rs4 no prob that is a great car and the noise.

Chrispy

Yes walks is not the word.

Good to be back love the banter my car is faster than yours big wi**ie stuff hahaha

I think the old man is looking at a Gallardo not sure not a fan but we will see said he is going to get some mad colour like ORANGE I told him to go for the Manaul as the M5 DMS,360 cs and the 430 Spider are all paddle.

Let you know what happens ices_blah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Never heard of that about the ring taxis & a crude timing i did when fortunate enough to get a PAX lap last time i was there the lap was completed in just under 8:20 BTG & the track was not dry with plenty of other traffic so i'm confident any of the Ring Taxis could get round as quickly as the test driver manage in the list Rob posted.

What it did prove is that as scoTTy states, 70% is down to driver experience/track knowledge, 20% down to the vehicle being driven % 10% the size of the drivers balls. I know i'd never get close to the same levels of experience being displayed by the drivers.

I'd also have no issue if the results were the other way round but one fact you will find is that all those Ring Times posted are not driven on the same day, at the same time, by the same driver & some are even timed on public days so lets be honest & agree that it aint 100% like for like. The gap between a CSL & an M5 could indeed be larger but just as possible it could be smaller if drivers & conditions were reversed. Some of those times are recorded with the same test driver but only a handful.

Finally i can fully understand & appreciate why a CSL would be quicker round the Ring even with it's sticky tyres & as an instructor who took me out for some tuition stated (he was a Continental/BMW test driver) plenty of the margin certain cars gain is totally down to tyres & the Cups fitted to CSL's are some of the best track tyres available.

[ QUOTE ]

There's only one thing for it. Everyone over to the ring with there cars! grin.gifECLIPSe.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What a great idea. October works well for me although i know you'll get round faster than me so i'll try to find some Cup tyres for my car & you have to use some cheap Japanese rubber (tyres not clothes) jump.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Yes only one thing for it fit cups to the M5.

I know a guy that fitted cups to his BMW 5 D DMS I will ask him how much quicker he went with the cups on .

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers, i'd be interested to hear how he got on?? I was not aware Cups were available in sizes to fit the M5. Did he have to get smaller wheels to fit them to??

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Yes only one thing for it fit cups to the M5.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's another option. Fix the loose nut behind the wheel. Surely the best way to get consitently better laps times. It even works when the tracks wet wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That would work for sure cool.gif

Different people assume a walk in the park to be different margins. I'd say 3-4seconds for some of the tests posted prior to be quite a healthy margin, epsecially when looked against a 23sec margin that the CSL has over the M5 around The Ring, so in context it's a walk.

As most of the fun we get on UK roads during normal day to day driving is traffic light GP's, blats between lights & roundabouts & the odd blat on a motorway, the stats above are realistic & why some of the initial findings were posted. On a track of course which is where some CSL's but not all will get some time the CSL would take the win & against plenty of competition.

The M5 (& the Ubber Mercs) are designed & built to be very fast functional road cars & nothing else really. They can be tweaked with subtle mods to increase their track ability but a Leopard can't change it's spots. The CSL will always (assuming like for like drivers) take the advantage on track which of course is what the CSL was really designed for. On the roads it's often different.