Polish and Waxing your car

SL26UK

Ok i think theres somthing wrong with me. The A6 gets washed three to four times a week. And a full pamper twice or three times week and that includes Body, chrome, wheels & Zorsts wax and plastics and tyres dressed as well as the interior cleaned and hoovered. Other cars get a couple of washs and a pamper once a week. But they always looks superb.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

i try to clean, polish (non abrasive!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I've not come a cross a non-abrasive polish before. What is it and how does it work? confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

megs stage 1 is non abrasive isnt it?

[/ QUOTE ]

NO It's very abrasive

[/ QUOTE ]

Stage one is a cleaner. Stage 2 is a polish isn't it. 169144-ok.gif

Wash at least once a week (Gold Class shampoo)

Then...polish and wax 2 panels (or just the bonnet, as it's ridiculously large).

That way, over 3 weeks the car has had a full re-polish and re-wax.

Then, every month - I do a full interior shampoo and exterior top-up wax.

The 6 is so big that to polish and wax it every week would consume a full day (normally takes me 2 days if I'm honest and want to do it properly).

The exhausts get polished at least twice a week, every week, without fail!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

i try to clean, polish (non abrasive!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I've not come a cross a non-abrasive polish before. What is it and how does it work? confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

megs stage 1 is non abrasive isnt it?

[/ QUOTE ]

NO It's very abrasive

[/ QUOTE ]

Stage one is a cleaner. Stage 2 is a polish isn't it. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok stage 1 looks like a chemical cleaner so this it's still designed to strip any old wax etc, so why would you want to use this often?

As far as I read on the Stage 1 it is for prep'ing the car prior to Polishing and Waxing. Therefore I just assumed that it would strip off all bonded contaminents and the previous Polish and Wax from before. Would not have thought it would touch the Clearcoate though!?!

Definitely a bi-annual thing though assuming you keep on top of the washing and waxing part of it throughout the year?

[ QUOTE ]

As far as I read on the Stage 1 it is for prep'ing the car prior to Polishing and Waxing. Therefore I just assumed that it would strip off all bonded contaminents and the previous Polish and Wax from before. Would not have thought it would touch the Clearcoate though!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what i thought no damage to clear coat = non abrasive.

i must admit i use it more than twice a year though

It doesent rub down the paints clear coat. You would have to use a lot of and rub hard even using somthing as strong as G3 or G2 to get a light grey colour on your cloth! I have never used it but it sounds like a chemical liquid paint cleanser sort of thing

At last im not alone i to wash my A3 twice to three times a week, also gets a full valet every sat rain or shine wheels off and everything, i thought i was realy sad. Well may be taking the alloys off is abit far but they did cost me alot of money. smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I just started on Mrs Endoman's XC90 tonight, needs the full treatment, clay etc. That will keep me quiet all of tomorrow I guess. Need a bloody ladder to do the roof though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I`ve never actually used a clay bar, although I`m aware of the principle behind it.

Would any "clayers" out there recommend it on a car only 7 months old ?

I can, by the way, feel very fine bits of grit (or similar) on the paintwork, just after I`ve washed it, which I believe is the `acid test` ???, but I`m not sure if I`ll see any benefit on relatively new paintwork.

Anyone............please........ grin.gif

I say go for it.

My car is coming up to 10 months old and I was sceptical that claying would be of any benefit, I needn't have been. I did the bonnet 2 months ago and it removed a surprising amount of 'crap' despite it feeling smooth to the touch.

However, the most dramatic results were found when I did my roof at the beginning of the month. The clay was covered in grit. Yet again, I initially thought the roof felt smooth.

It takes me quite a while as I'm new to using the clay. So I'm doing one area at a time.