Front Tyres for a B6 A4 Avant Tdi 130

NewNiceMrMe

I've just noticed that the fronts on my A4 (TDi 130 Sport Avant) are, ermmm, on the limit.

I'm going to go out and get a new pair fitted this afternoon (it might explain the recent dismal performance from the ESP which has been worse than ever!).

The car is shod with PZero Rosso's all round.

The front's are 235/45 ZR 17's. Should I stick with PZero's on the front too or is there a better tyre out there that TSN-er's advocate?

Normally I'd keep a full set of the same tyres, but if it'll improve my traction I'm not bothered about mixing.

Factors - wear is unimportant, same as price, it doesn't matter because I'll not be paying for them. So what's the best I can get or have I already got them on?

When the OE fit rubbish wore out on my TDi 130 Sport Avant I replaced them with Yokohama AVS Sport. I'd had good experience with the Yokohama's before, and it was the same on the TDi - excellent wet grip, much less intervention from the ESP (my TDi had been chipped), about the same life as the OE tyres. The only downside was a slight increase in road noise.

You'll just have a grippier front I would imagine than the rear, but that ain't such a bad thing considering what you were complaining about with the ESP.

Remember though that F1's need a bit of running in as they are quite slippery initially.

If you are back home this weekend MrMe try either Foxhunters behind the Ice Rink at Whitley Bay or Barry's Tyres in Gateshead Arches. If you give them a ring today before lunch they'll usually have them in stock for Saturday. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

If you are back home this weekend MrMe try either Foxhunters behind the Ice Rink at Whitley Bay or Barry's Tyres in Gateshead Arches. If you give them a ring today before lunch they'll usually have them in stock for Saturday. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What, and drive the A4 on a weekend! No way! yelrotflmao.gif

• 2 months later...

Ok, an update on this.

I've now had a pair of Goodyear GSD3's on the front for about 2,000 miles.

I'm sure they're a very good tyre on some vehicles, but they haven't improved my A4 Syndrome much. They definately grip better in the dry than the Pirelli's did, and to that end they add a little more confidence to the dire ESP system. However, not much.

In the wet though...they're as bad as ever. In fact, I think they might actually be worse than the Pirelli's in wet conditions!

I still have Pirelli's (non-directional) on the back and that might not be helping, but as they're not on the same axle it really shouldn't make too much difference. I find that accelerating from a standing start is much the same as the Pirelli's, but in corners they just don't inspire confidence at all.

So, whilst I'm sure they're a very good tyre for most, they don't make up for the shocking ESP system on this bloody car. I'd love to post positive news, I really would - but I fear no tyre manufacturers product is going to counter the excrement that is a FWD TDi Audi ESP system.

Whatever you do, no matter what it costs - if you're going to buy one....BUY QUATTRO!!!!!!!

I Know exactly waht you mean, the bloody ESP is never off my FWD. Just had a call from BMW and they have a RWD 330d Coupe in for me to try. Apparently in USA and Germany though they were launched with X Drive.

I am going to think long and hard as I always vowed 4WD after winter before last SLK was a slippery little fish in the wet and snow.

Think Ill hang on for B8 S4 or B7 if I get itchy feet

[ QUOTE ]

If you'd just learn how to drive the fecking thing properly, it just wouldn't be a problem. It's a torquey FWD diesel car, the throttle pedal does have more than two settings coffee.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair to MrMe though; the torque on the B6 1.9TDi 130bhp is quite 'spikey' wink.gif Especially run-in ones. Although I would've thought he'd be able to adjust to it by now,