GPS speed, how accurate is it really?

Ari

Really spurring off from the speed camera thread, but a lot of people seem to rely heavily on their GPS (either Nav system or camera warning system) for accurate speed readout.

But how accurate are they?

Just one scenario I can think of, surely going up or down hills varies the speed compared to road speed?

To illustrate.

Imagine doing 100mph across a completely horizontal surface. GPS records speed across the ground at 100mph. Now imagine (if it were possible) doing 100mph vertically. You would still be doing 100mph, but speed over the ground would be zero as that 100mph is straight up.

So logically therefore, if you were on a 45 degree hill you're travelling 50mph along the ground climbing 50mph vertically. So your car is actually doing 100mph but your GPS would record a 50mph reading.

And what about corners?

If you have a 180 degree corner and it's 100 miles form start to finish then at 100mph it will take you an hour to complete the journey from the start to the end of the corner. But if you drove straight from point to point at the same speed you'd get there in much less time so your GPS would record a higher speed. Of course it wouldn't in reality because it is measuring point to point speed in intervals much less than an hour, but non the less surely corners must screw up the reading..?

Thoughts please gentlemen? confused.gif

Regarding the hill scenario, GPS does also measure height so it shouldn't be an issue. Get Lottie to jump out of a plane again with a handheld GPS to test this.

I don't know what the sampling rate is of a GPS but it seems to be fairly quick so the corners shouldn't be an issue either.

I relied on using my RA to give me my speed into corners for having fun through miles of twisties, many right-angles, late last night, and didn't notice any particular lag in the speed display.

I feel it's accurate enough and the rest is academic. The point being that GPS is more accurate than OEM speedos and it's not so far out to matter.

[ QUOTE ]

So logically therefore, if you were on a 45 degree hill you're travelling 50mph along the ground climbing 50mph vertically. So your car is actually doing 100mph but your GPS would record a 50mph reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you ever do trigonometry at school?

Cos(45) = .7071, so the GPS would actually read 71mph!

Anyway, how many 45degree hills (1 in 1) do you drive up?

I reckon that there aren't many hills of a gradient steeper than 1 in 4 on the public roads, and you certainly wouldn't drive them at any significant speed! A 1 in 4 slope would give you a 3% error.

Then, as has already been stated, GPS allows a height reading so, theoretically, your GPS device could take this into account (whether any do, I cannot say).

[ QUOTE ]

Regarding the hill scenario, GPS does also measure height so it shouldn't be an issue. Get Lottie to jump out of a plane again with a handheld GPS to test this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point well made. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know what the sampling rate is of a GPS but it seems to be fairly quick so the corners shouldn't be an issue either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I guess it's quick enough not to matter, but non the less, the way a GPS works out speed is to measure the time taken to get from point to point so therefore if the line from point to point is not straight (ie, you're cornering) it must have some effect surely? confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you ever do trigonometry at school?

Cos(45) = .7071, so the GPS would actually read 71mph!

Anyway, how many 45degree hills (1 in 1) do you drive up?

I reckon that there aren't many hills of a gradient steeper than 1 in 4 on the public roads, and you certainly wouldn't drive them at any significant speed! A 1 in 4 slope would give you a 3% error.

Then, as has already been stated, GPS allows a height reading so, theoretically, your GPS device could take this into account (whether any do, I cannot say).

[/ QUOTE ]

I was trying to give an example of how not being horizontal might affect the speed rather than be technically accurate, but good points.

[ QUOTE ]

I was trying to give an example of how not being horizontal might affect the speed rather than be technically accurate, but good points.

[/ QUOTE ]

... and I was pointing out that for all practical purposes, the error is insignificant. For instance, a 1 in 10 hill (still pretty steep) would introduce a 1% error - much more accurate than your speedo!

I think the biggest error is due to the sampling rate of the device or at least the processed result of it.

If you accelerate hard then the GPS numbers are often playing catch up....at least they were on older systems. To be honest when I'm booting it I'm not normally watching the GPS speed. grin.gif

GPS has the height information, but I'm not sure it is used to calculate the speed. So inclines will cause it to under-read, but not by much. Go up a 10 degree incline at an actual 100 mph and it will read 98.5 mph.

Looking at my RoadAngel, the sampling rate is far too high for corners to have an effect, I think.

GPS units calculate speed based on the doopler shift of the satelitte signals and not on a time/distance calulation so the accuracy is not affected by gradients cool.gif

GPS speed accuracy depends on a number of factors but it's usually within +-0.5% which is why all the mags and other folks use it when testing cars and bikes etc.

I'll pick up my anorak on the way out frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

GPS units calculate speed based on the doopler shift of the satelitte signals and not on a time/distance calulation so the accuracy is not affected by gradients cool.gif

GPS speed accuracy depends on a number of factors but it's usually within +-0.5% which is why all the mags and other folks use it when testing cars and bikes etc.

I'll pick up my anorak on the way out frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, also GPS is working in X, Y and Z (Assuming you have atleast 3 Sats connected). So the GPS is aware of the full direction of travel.

When out sailing in a tide, I can (sometimes) see the difference in height between going out and returning.

[ QUOTE ]

Indeed, also GPS is working in X, Y and Z (Assuming you have atleast 3 Sats connected). So the GPS is aware of the full direction of travel.

When out sailing in a tide, I can (sometimes) see the difference in height between going out and returning.

[/ QUOTE ]

[anorak]

Actually to get vertical (3D) measurements you need a minimum four sats

[/anorak]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[anorak]

Actually to get vertical (3D) measurements you need a minimum four sats

[/anorak]

[/ QUOTE ]

must go and read manual before posting next time..........

Why, I would have expected to be able to work it out via the doppler on 3?

The Speed-readout on my PDA GPS SatNav provides an interesting* look at the accuracy of car speedos.

In my BMW, it reads 3mph less than the car.

In my mate's Celica when he had that, it used to read 5mph less.

In my brother's Astra when he had that, it used to read almost 20mph less at high speeds!

*Disclaimer: Information contained above may not actually be interesting in the accepted sense of the word, so don't sue me tongue.gif

have just had navi (Pioneer) fitted and on the "vehicle dynamics" screen there is an option (in addition to the GPS speedo display) to show live info for the following :

Acceleration

Lateral Acceleration

Angular Velocity (how far it has turned in one second)

Slope

This suggests that if it can measure all these wonderful things, it may be able to use the figures to help calculate true speed fairly accurately.

However there's nothing in the manual to suggest that it actually does use the extra data - so could be a complete gimmick smashfreakB.gif

Looking forward to measuring Lateral Acceleration at some point though grin.gif